PDA

View Full Version : B-Series Alternator questions

Rasputin
18-02-2007, 01:03 PM
Hey guys,

My alternator decided to start heading towards retirement yesterday, and so now it's cut itself back to 'part-time' duties. Which is fine, except I like to keep my battery charged and my headlights functioning.
So I have two questions:

1. I know that you can recondition/rebuild alternators, much like Brake Master Cylinders. Does Honda sell the kit required, and is it effective (i.e. Will it last?)
And is the cost/time worth it over just buying a used/new alternator?

2. Are Alternators able to be swapped between b-series engines?
I know SKREMN has used a b18 alt on a b20, but will this work for all b-series engines, or just certain models? Just so that I can find a replacement ASAP.

Thanks in advance. :thumbsup:

ECU-MAN
18-02-2007, 03:09 PM
you can get you exsisting alt recon'd at an auto electritian, that would be the best way to have it fixed.

2nd hand B seires alt will fit, just need to make sure they are both from the same era. eg OBDI

turtleEK1
18-02-2007, 03:51 PM
reconditioning would be the way to go... it comes with a guarantee (unlike 2nd hand)... and its cheaper than brand new...

and for the b-series swap question... unsure... i can see why the b18 and b20 would swap because a b20 is just a bored out b18... spose a b16 prolly is too...

egSi
18-02-2007, 04:15 PM
get it rebuilt man. $200+ with waranty and its all cleaned up and working perfectly. includes new bushes + new regulator :thumbsup:

make sure u get the right one ie. obd1 for your car OR the plug wont fit into it. ive seen some guys just swap the plug socket over but i dont think thats as good as a rebuilt one or worth the trouble. when mine was done he said itll be sweet for over 100 000ks. its cheap when u think about it ;)

Samo
18-02-2007, 05:01 PM
im using a b18c one on my b16a ... works just fine ..
iam running obdII harness with obdI conversion

Rasputin
18-02-2007, 07:48 PM
Thanks for all the info guys.
Just asking because there's a user on the forums trying to sell an alt. out of a '96 EK for $60, but who knows how long it's got left.

If you're recommending rebuilds, and they're around $200 then sounds like the way to go.
Will they be able to do this while it's on the car, or will it still require removal?
Just so I know if I should pull it and take it in, or just drive my car there.

And was the $200 including or excluding installation?

Samo
18-02-2007, 08:18 PM
if it was me, i would get the $60 one and diy

only takes abt 1/2 hr... saves u $150 yo

Rasputin
18-02-2007, 08:36 PM
Well, I am a cheapskate. It just depends on how hard it'd be to swap the plugs from an obd1 to my obd0 '89 integra.

And also how long I thought it'd last.

egSi
19-02-2007, 02:36 PM
it is very easy to remove/install.

1 x 12mm nut/bolt and 1 x 14mm bolt, thats it.

remove earth 10mm nut, pull plug, drop top 12mm nut and then lower 14mm bolt, get belt off and lift.

than take it to an auto electrician.

for all u could know the one for $60 could be half fecked, depends on ks really. im sure that have a life of about 100 000ks -ish

im sure the auto elec will install etc but its too easy to pay some other dude.

hope that helps. :)

Rasputin
20-02-2007, 07:03 PM
Hmm, well I think I'll buy the $60, drop it in myself, and take my 'old' one to the auto elecs, just so that I can stay on the road for uni etc.

Rasputin
22-02-2007, 12:17 AM
Got the second hand alternator, and somehow nursed my car from sydney to the central coast at night.

Looks like I'll be changing that battery out sooner than expected, but at least I dodge the tow-truck another day.

Worst drive ever. Anyone out there, as soon as that alternator light comes on, call every auto electrician you can and get it booked in before you have to do what I just did.

Rasputin
26-02-2007, 12:49 AM
Alternator replaced. Feels so good. Almost worth the grease, sweat and (manly) tears. Thanks for all the help guys.