PDA

View Full Version : Noise coming from a engine bay need advice

Breezy
18-02-2007, 09:22 PM
Hey guys, when i rev my car really hard in neutral. Dunno if it happens when i let go of the accelerator, i can hear like a whining noise coming from the engine bay. What could this be? I'm thinking it could be the belts.....

simonk
18-02-2007, 10:10 PM
maybe you've got a supercharger, that you don't know about....

is it a whine, or a high pitched squeal?

a high pitched squeal could be belts

does it happen if you have your foot on the clutch? if not, it's clutch thrust bearing-ish - poor adjustment will could put the bearing in constant contact which will make it noisy

does it increase and decrease in volume with revs?

it's always easiest to listen to noises like this from under the bonnet, so get hold of your throttle linkage from under there and rev it up.... if you don't know how to do that, take it to a mechanic and say 'it makes a whiney noise'

most likely to be alternator.... maybe water pump or distributor...

but then, I don't know shit about hondas :p

EG5[KRT]
18-02-2007, 10:16 PM
could b a timing belt too tight .. or accessory belts ..

bennjamin
18-02-2007, 10:24 PM
might be timing out ? Does it "rattle"

egSi
19-02-2007, 02:39 PM
it could be anything, have u recently fiddled/adjusted anything lately?

if u havent it could be things like belts just aging or you need to check your timing.

try and check the noise from in the engine bay :thumbsup:

panda[cRx]
19-02-2007, 05:15 PM
as said above seeing as the EG is an old car the first place to check from the sounds of it would be your belts. check for any damaged or even missing teeth on the timing belt and any frayed/damaged parts on the other drive belts.

open the hood and get someone to rev the car while you check for noises (or vice versa)

Drew
19-02-2007, 06:17 PM
Probably the flux capacitor is malfunctioning; check that it's grounded properly to you warp drive

But in all seriousness

Could be any of the belts either too tight or too loose or frayed or old

Could just be the power screwing around with your speakers...

WTF are you doing revving your engine really hard in neutral... Give me the god damned keys before you break it

Where abouts are you located?

Breezy
19-02-2007, 06:39 PM
maybe you've got a supercharger, that you don't know about....

is it a whine, or a high pitched squeal?

a high pitched squeal could be belts

does it happen if you have your foot on the clutch? if not, it's clutch thrust bearing-ish - poor adjustment will could put the bearing in constant contact which will make it noisy

does it increase and decrease in volume with revs?

it's always easiest to listen to noises like this from under the bonnet, so get hold of your throttle linkage from under there and rev it up.... if you don't know how to do that, take it to a mechanic and say 'it makes a whiney noise'

most likely to be alternator.... maybe water pump or distributor...

but then, I don't know shit about hondas :p

lol, i wish. Its like a whiney noise, its sounds like the belts. And gets louder at high revs. you mean the belt attached to the alternator?

Breezy
19-02-2007, 06:40 PM
might be timing out ? Does it "rattle"
nope no rattle

XB-16-AX
19-02-2007, 07:15 PM
Probably the flux capacitor is malfunctioning;

hahaha dats some funni shiett.. isnt that from back to the future or dude wheres my car?? hahah dunno ..

best thing to do is check your belts, try spraying some RPC belt stop noise or similiar onto the belt ..and let it run for a minute or so , rev it up slowly ..then try it again as what you are normally doing when u hear the noise.

if the noise disappears, then your belts are old and probably needs replacing / checking.

if the noise is still there, then you will have to go back to square 1 - troubleshoot - at least you eliminated one possible issues.

other possibilities:

*Power steering pump - possible bearings are gone (i had similiar issues - replaced it and no more noise)
*AC / Power steering tensioner pulleys - bearings ( try spraying some spray compound grease/lubricants onto the centre of the tensioner pulley)
*Alternator pulley - possible bearings on the pulley (try spraying grease/lubricant)
*Low on engine oil? - check and top up if required
*Centre clutch bearings - you will have to get the car to a mechanics to check/replace as this is inside the gearbox --> clutch --> flywheel

Try the simple eyesight inspection first b4 taking the car to a mechanic.

Good luck and tell let us know how you go!

:thumbsup:

Drew
19-02-2007, 07:16 PM
Back to the Future

XB-16-AX
19-02-2007, 07:17 PM
Back to the Future

hahaha ...champion! :thumbsup:

VT3C
20-02-2007, 02:47 PM
Hey guys, when i rev my car really hard in neutral...

Well revving your motor 'really hard' in neutral aint a good thing.. the motor needs some load on it or excessive and high RPM revving can casue damage.

Breezy
20-02-2007, 07:48 PM
Well revving your motor 'really hard' in neutral aint a good thing.. the motor needs some load on it or excessive and high RPM revving can casue damage.

i was checking to see if i was blowing black smoke at high revs, when i notice the sound.

Drew
20-02-2007, 08:21 PM
Where do you live?

Take it to a mechanic so he can hear it and advise you

Breezy
20-02-2007, 09:20 PM
Where do you live?

Take it to a mechanic so he can hear it and advise you

melb, yeah taking it tomoroz

todas**t
21-02-2007, 12:23 AM
powersteering pump????

XB-16-AX
21-02-2007, 05:39 PM
powersteering pump????

other possibilities:

*Power steering pump - possible bearings are gone (i had similiar issues - replaced it and no more noise)
*AC / Power steering tensioner pulleys - bearings ( try spraying some spray compound grease/lubricants onto the centre of the tensioner pulley)
*Alternator pulley - possible bearings on the pulley (try spraying grease/lubricant)
*Low on engine oil? - check and top up if required
*Centre clutch bearings - you will have to get the car to a mechanics to check/replace as this is inside the gearbox --> clutch --> flywheel

Try the simple eyesight inspection first b4 taking the car to a mechanic.

Good luck and tell let us know how you go!

:thumbsup:

yeh as i mentioned previously, have u checked the power steering pump?

Limbo
21-02-2007, 06:28 PM
sounds like a slipping belt, just need to change the belts which are about $20 each, or you could try the belt lube for $10, seems to fix the prob but make sure you have engine on when spraying it and don't over do it cos it makes more noise