PDA

View Full Version : [Tip-Tronic] Ur Opinion On Changing Gears

whoops21
19-02-2007, 08:34 AM
Hey all.. this has been in my mind for awhile now.. and from asking alot of different EURO AUTOMATIC owners, they all have their different opinions on whats best.

When driving using Tip-Tronic Mode when changing gears....does any one leave their foot still planted to the floor? or realease their foot at every gear change?

When red Lining and hitting the Vtec. And Not realeasing the gas while changing gears, after a few minutes of doing so.. from outside the cabin a burning smell (like a burning clutch smell for manuals) can be easily noticed.

What are everyones views on this? My car is still under warranty so i don't care as much, but doesn't this do some sort of ware out of the transmission?

cheerz nick.:D

19-02-2007, 08:44 AM
i dont thrash my car, so when i change gears i dont lift my foot or anything, never driven as hard as your suggesting,

the smell your thinking of is probably autos equivalent of a clutch (autos have a type of clutch) ask someone like aaronng he's a crystal ball, up with all the tech stuff.

btw is that your ride in your avatar, it looks hawt!

teaseR
19-02-2007, 08:47 AM
When red Lining and hitting the Vtec. And Not realeasing the gas while changing gears, after a few minutes of doing so.. from outside the cabin a burning smell (like a burning clutch smell for manuals) can be easily noticed.

its i-vtec its always engaging

ZEi20T
19-02-2007, 08:54 AM
its just the engine getting warmer than it usually is, all the plastics and other synthetic materials let off a smell, plus the addition of heat from the engine and radiator. its the 'hammer smell'. i dont release the throttle when tiptronic shifting, well, unless i have to stop. redlining is ok (sorta) but hitting the revlimiter all the time is not. mostly they are a fuel cut and less fuel = detonation. its a good way to reduce the life of your motor.

the autos dont perform all that well IMO, compared to the manual. infact i dont like driving my wifes auto, my manual is so much better on the highway. anyway thats offtopic.

autos dont have a 'clutch' they have a torque converter that is basically two 'fans' immersed in fluid right next to each other, so there is not really any direct contact from engine to transmission. thats in the basic sense anyway.

BusterSonic12
19-02-2007, 10:27 AM
i don't let go off accelerator when redline + vtec. i quite like my auto euro except the start off, bit too slow compare to the manual. and one know if u can get a final gear for the euro?

whoops21
19-02-2007, 03:39 PM
i myself lift off when changing gears. cause i was afraid the smell would've left me with future problems.. but if everyone else says it's ok.. then i guess it should be fine..

thanks for opinions !:thumbsup:

ZEi20T
19-02-2007, 03:58 PM
ohh another reason for the smell is that your auto tranny needs the fluid changed, it could be cooking and turning bad. depending on the milage, and if you drive it like that a lot, id be changing it (and the engine oil) more frequently than the manual suggests. if you are cornering, it might be the power steering fluid heating up too. everything lets off some sort of smell when it heats up.

aaronng
19-02-2007, 04:37 PM
its i-vtec its always engaging

Not really. i-VTEC = VTEC + VTC. The VTC part is always working to vary the intake valve timing. But the VTEC part engages at 6000rpm.

aaronng
19-02-2007, 04:41 PM
i dont thrash my car, so when i change gears i dont lift my foot or anything, never driven as hard as your suggesting,

the smell your thinking of is probably autos equivalent of a clutch (autos have a type of clutch) ask someone like aaronng he's a crystal ball, up with all the tech stuff.

btw is that your ride in your avatar, it looks hawt!

Autos have clutch packs but they shouldn't give off a burning smell even with full throttle shifting. I'm guessing that it is the smell of the exhaust/cat after heating up. It happens with new cars and goes away after a few thousand kms. And just accelerating full throttle up to redline without letting go during shifting on the street is not enough to burn the AT fluid. I've done that heaps of times on other cars with no burning smell (they were cars that had over 10,000km).

Whoops21, try the same thing again, but using "D" instead of tiptronic. If you get the same smell, it should just be the parts giving off the "new car" fumes.

badthing
19-02-2007, 07:49 PM
whoops21, how many kms u done on ur car?

BiLL|z0r
19-02-2007, 08:08 PM
When I change at redline I might lift a little but certainly not as far as you would a manual transmission. I do find I need to think to tell the car to shift at around 6200rpm as by the time I push up, it notices the change and does the change it's already at 7000rpm. There is quite the delay in actually changing gear I find (still prolly quicker than going from say 2nd to 3rd though in a manual).

BusterSonic12
20-02-2007, 07:05 AM
i don't like that delay.. i shift at 6900 or 7000, then by the time it change gears it's at 7200rpm

ZEi20T
20-02-2007, 08:23 AM
thats what the rev limiter is for :P

20-02-2007, 10:23 AM
i agree auto is alittle sluggish, mans are heaps better, i use triptonic alot mainly overtaking cars, i down shift from 5th to 3rd then go around cars, i dont like when u put your foot down the auto has a little delay and then puts it in gear and you boot off. also i down shift and coast down hills rather then brake brake brake.

aaronng
20-02-2007, 10:33 AM
i agree auto is alittle sluggish, mans are heaps better, i use triptonic alot mainly overtaking cars, i down shift from 5th to 3rd then go around cars, i dont like when u put your foot down the auto has a little delay and then puts it in gear and you boot off. also i dont shift and coast down hills rather then brake brake brake.
But... the time you take to push it from D to tiptronic and pull back down twice to get into 3rd, it would have been faster if you just booted your foot down and let the transmission downshift on its own into 3rd :)

20-02-2007, 10:56 AM
it might be tru on the spur of the moment thing, but i sit behing slow a*ses on the m4 in the fast lane and when i see a gap coming up then i put it in 3, bide my time and then go around them, this way if i need to slow down alittle there is also the pull back in third when i take my foot off the accelerator instead of the trans putting it into 4th or 5th if i had it in D ( i then put it into D when im at the right speed). i dont think the delay and then hammer can be that good for the tranny either, im not a crazy driver but sometimes i hoon to get around slow ppl.

ZEi20T
20-02-2007, 11:15 AM
nah i rekon its faster to shift it manually down two gears, because mostly you are shifting before you want to overtake to get the revs high enough to have that sudden pickup around the other car. the auto would only do it when you plant it to get around the other car.

whoops21
20-02-2007, 09:21 PM
Whoops21, try the same thing again, but using "D" instead of tiptronic. If you get the same smell, it should just be the parts giving off the "new car" fumes.

i've tried doing it in "D" instead of the tiptronic, and i don't get the same fumes.. only when i use tiptronic and redline and change at about.. hmm... 7k without lifting is when i get the fumes...

couldn't be from the new car smell.. my car has 20 xxx kms on it already.. the smell more comes from right underneath the tranny.. when i sit next to my right wheel .. u can really smell it coming from there.

ask Honda abt it when i get it serviced?

aaronng
20-02-2007, 09:36 PM
i've tried doing it in "D" instead of the tiptronic, and i don't get the same fumes.. only when i use tiptronic and redline and change at about.. hmm... 7k without lifting is when i get the fumes...

couldn't be from the new car smell.. my car has 20 xxx kms on it already.. the smell more comes from right underneath the tranny.. when i sit next to my right wheel .. u can really smell it coming from there.

ask Honda abt it when i get it serviced?
Yes, ask Honda. They might tell you that the engine is not meant to rev up to 7000 though. Tell them they advertised 140kW at 6800rpm. LOL

ZEi20T
20-02-2007, 09:58 PM
probably just the cat heating up more, when the auto shifts its probably not quite revving as high, when you do it manually you are giving it that 500rpm more that might get the cat 50-100degrees hotter (im guessing at temps) and you hold it there longer as there is less torque up there on the limiter.

sendok
22-02-2007, 11:47 AM
for autos, i dont think u need to lift up too much ur feet when u drag them! but i always drive slowly tho! :D

adammet04
22-02-2007, 11:55 AM
i love tiptronic...

i have tried both not lifting foot off accelerator and keeping it on,

cant really see a difference except that your foot moves a bit more :P

as such i usually just keep the foot on the gas.

The smell you are talking about i still get and my car has done about 80k now

i don't red liine my car often and it only happens after some spirited driving in the 5k+ rev range (maybe once a month or less) as such i think its the engine still never gotten hot enough so diffrerent fumes coming off it..I think it could also be the exhaust cat as when i changed the exhaust on my car those smells stuck around for quite a bit again :)

just my 2c's

ZEi20T
22-02-2007, 07:48 PM
keep the revs above 5k for over 30 mins and you will smell it :P

whoops21
22-02-2007, 09:00 PM
The smell you are talking about i still get and my car has done about 80k now

so you have experienced the smell urself?

is this a common problem when shifting with tiptronic higher than 5k without lifting?

hmm.. i've been reving my car pretty hard recently due to the fact that i've installed a DIY SRI and jst can't stop hearing the roaring K24a..

so.. i guess the smells is jst gonna keep on coming.

aaronng
22-02-2007, 09:22 PM
hmm.. i've been reving my car pretty hard recently due to the fact that i've installed a DIY SRI and jst can't stop hearing the roaring K24a..

So when are you going to come out to the ozhonda meet to show off your DIY SRI? (I love DIYs!)

Drew
22-02-2007, 09:30 PM
My 1999 CH9 Wagon with a H23A Tiptronic

Keep my foot down through the gears; change just in time so that just as it flicks into the next gear it may get one bounce off the rev limiter or just a split second off the limiter...

After a year that has left the gearbox in a rather sad shape compared to how it was when it was new... First into second and third into second when cold there is a little jerk which is rather annoying. But all good once it warms up.

Probably time to overhaul the box once the car arrives in Oz -_-

whoops21
23-02-2007, 02:06 PM
So when are you going to come out to the ozhonda meet to show off your DIY SRI? (I love DIYs!)

Hahahah mate.. it's nothing special.. jst removed my air box and chuck a Pod filter on it with a few PVC piping to make it snug fit.. lol

come to the meets? lol hahaha mayb after a few other DIY mods.. so everyone can do a OOOooo AHhHHh.. hmmm.. *scratches head*.. lol

aaronng
23-02-2007, 02:36 PM
Hahahah mate.. it's nothing special.. jst removed my air box and chuck a Pod filter on it with a few PVC piping to make it snug fit.. lol

come to the meets? lol hahaha mayb after a few other DIY mods.. so everyone can do a OOOooo AHhHHh.. hmmm.. *scratches head*.. lol

Just come, show off cruise and stuff your face with bad food. It's fun. My first 5 meets was with a stock car, even with the resonator still intact. In fact, my car now is still almost stock except for intake.

whoops21
23-02-2007, 02:54 PM
yeah cheers for the heads up..

it'll be good to see wat other euro owners have done to their cars
:thumbsup:

aaronng
23-02-2007, 03:01 PM
yeah cheers for the heads up..

it'll be good to see wat other euro owners have done to their cars
:thumbsup:

You just missed one of the most modded Euros around.... It's now back to almost stock....

whoops21
23-02-2007, 03:05 PM
hahahah really? because i've been snooping around in the "parts for sale" thread.. and i've seen 2 euro's full de-modding their stuff

got cut short in a few parts i was after.. oHh wells.. A1 2nd euro parts are hard to find..

kam
23-02-2007, 05:56 PM
im scared to use my tiptronic now

the other day, i used it for a bit, and when i came to slow down for red lights, the euro all of a sudden jerked really bad, like the gear box was getting stuck or crunching something, wtf , then when i went to drive off again did the same thing

thats the 1st time its ever hapended, so yeh, scared to use tiptronic now...

aaronng
23-02-2007, 06:03 PM
im scared to use my tiptronic now

the other day, i used it for a bit, and when i came to slow down for red lights, the euro all of a sudden jerked really bad, like the gear box was getting stuck or crunching something, wtf , then when i went to drive off again did the same thing

thats the 1st time its ever hapended, so yeh, scared to use tiptronic now...

When was the last time you changed your transmission fluid? You're meant to change it every 2 years if you drive hard.

pxrnm
21-05-2007, 10:35 PM
Mmmm just wondering for Auto trans. users, when you are at red light (already stationary) - do you put your gear to N to conserve fuel?? is it effective? or just a myth?

Does it wear the gearbox off by doing that? is it worth it?

My friend told me that when stationary if you keep on braking, you actually wasting fuel so better to use hand brake and put the gear in N.

:confused:

BusterSonic12
21-05-2007, 11:25 PM
i only do that for LONG LONG red light

aaronng
22-05-2007, 12:11 AM
Mmmm just wondering for Auto trans. users, when you are at red light (already stationary) - do you put your gear to N to conserve fuel?? is it effective? or just a myth?

Does it wear the gearbox off by doing that? is it worth it?

My friend told me that when stationary if you keep on braking, you actually wasting fuel so better to use hand brake and put the gear in N.

:confused:
You can leave it in D as long as your hold the brakes down properly so you don't creep forward.

groovetek
22-05-2007, 08:34 AM
gosh what company makes the auto box for honda? sounds like it's not a very durable/robust unit...

also, "tiptronic" refers to ZF's sequential-auto transmissions used in porsches, audis/vws, and bmws... so don't get confused.

NeoNode
22-05-2007, 09:01 AM
gosh what company makes the auto box for honda? sounds like it's not a very durable/robust unit...

also, "tiptronic" refers to ZF's sequential-auto transmissions used in porsches, audis/vws, and bmws... so don't get confused.
Honda make their own automatic transmissions.

tron07
22-05-2007, 09:34 AM
I reckon that every 40k would be a good time to change the auto transmission fluids...

I am thinking of changing my manual transmission fluid at the next 10k service too.... lol... sure overkill... what do you think?

pxrnm
23-05-2007, 04:57 PM
You can leave it in D as long as your hold the brakes down properly so you don't creep forward.

so in your opinion there won't be any diff. b/w gears in N and hand break Vs gears in D and break as normal?? (especially with conserving fuel at all)

btw thanks for quick reply

aaronng
23-05-2007, 05:11 PM
so in your opinion there won't be any diff. b/w gears in N and hand break Vs gears in D and break as normal?? (especially with conserving fuel at all)

btw thanks for quick reply

The difference is so small that the fact that you use 1/2 throttle instead of 1/4 throttle when accelerating from the lights will make a bigger difference in your fuel consumption. Just do the method that you are more comfortable with.

ALF487
24-05-2007, 07:43 AM
I always use tiptronic.. rarely use 'D'.. when i use tiptronic and changing gears, i mostly take my foot of the pedal when i change gears, because it gives the feeling of kinda having a manual car. that smell that you guys are talking about.. i only smell it when i go high speed and brake really hard constantly, and i think its the smell of burning brake pads..

tanalasta
24-05-2007, 09:52 AM
I rarely use tiptronic. I find the automatic transmissions smoother and the computer tends to know when I want to drive it hard and downshift and when not to.

The only time I use tiptronic is if I'm taking a bend I know very well and want to hold 2nd gear. Vroooom!!! :P

On a side note, I notice my first gear is starting to get a bit jerky from first to second upshift. Worse when it's cold. First gear in general is a bit jerky... perhaps I didn't run my gearbox in very well but I'll ask them to look into it at the next service.

Speaking of which, how much is an auto transmission fluid change cost?

Euro Sport MY2006 - 25000km.

aaronng
24-05-2007, 10:13 AM
^^ Call your dealer for a quote. :)

pxrnm
26-05-2007, 11:57 PM
The difference is so small that the fact that you use 1/2 throttle instead of 1/4 throttle when accelerating from the lights will make a bigger difference in your fuel consumption. Just do the method that you are more comfortable with.

thanks... now i'm just puting it at D... considering that it wouldn't change anything if i put it in N anyway except if its a long loooonggg red.

Off topic... for auto with a/c (range 22'-25') on all the time having 430 km for 56L is it normal (mostly urban - going through 2 hills and 4 school zone along the way)? I use BP ultimate. Don't have any mods - all standard with 16' tyre.

mmmm and I drove like an old man btw :o

Just done service for 20k today.

BiLL|z0r
27-05-2007, 07:51 AM
Sounds a tad low. I usually get around the 500mark on a tank and run it down to the light all the time. I have been getting a little more lately in winter as I don't use the air con as much.
I only use 95ron BP and it's an auto, 95% urban driving.

aaronng
27-05-2007, 10:57 AM
thanks... now i'm just puting it at D... considering that it wouldn't change anything if i put it in N anyway except if its a long loooonggg red.

Off topic... for auto with a/c (range 22'-25') on all the time having 430 km for 56L is it normal (mostly urban - going through 2 hills and 4 school zone along the way)? I use BP ultimate. Don't have any mods - all standard with 16' tyre.

mmmm and I drove like an old man btw :o

Just done service for 20k today.

How long is your journey each day?

pxrnm
27-05-2007, 05:38 PM
total going to work and back is 26 km + weekend for groceries and stuff. at Eastern Honda when I did the service said that there's nothing wrong with the fuel and all.

BiLL|z0r pretty much on the mark, when I search on topic like this people normally gets 500km before the light comes on. sigh... oh well :( I just don't know what made it so thirsty.

aaronng
27-05-2007, 06:13 PM
total going to work and back is 26 km + weekend for groceries and stuff. at Eastern Honda when I did the service said that there's nothing wrong with the fuel and all.

BiLL|z0r pretty much on the mark, when I search on topic like this people normally gets 500km before the light comes on. sigh... oh well :( I just don't know what made it so thirsty.

You can't base it on the fuel light. You need to fill up to full and then divide the number of litres you put in by the hundreds of kms you drove.

pxrnm
27-05-2007, 08:19 PM
You can't base it on the fuel light. You need to fill up to full and then divide the number of litres you put in by the hundreds of kms you drove.

well that's what I did actually I filled the tank up, reset the trip comp. drove 430km then the light's on, I filled it up again and got 56L on the bowser and paid $80 :( for the ultimate.

aaronng
27-05-2007, 08:38 PM
well that's what I did actually I filled the tank up, reset the trip comp. drove 430km then the light's on, I filled it up again and got 56L on the bowser and paid $80 :( for the ultimate.
That's 13L/100km, which is in the range for an auto and a driver with a heavy foot. What are your tyre pressures?

tanalasta
28-05-2007, 01:58 AM
I consistently get 600+km out of my automatic with BP ultimate.

Usually manage an average of 8.0 - 8.5L/100km on a mix of 2/3 highway driving and 1/3 suburbian roads.

Tyre pressures on 36psi front, 34psi rear.

I occasionally drive with a heavy foot but most of the time with petrol prices (and the tyres) being as expensive as they are, I tend to drive more for fuel economy than performance. I've done 26000km and my tyre shoulders are looking on the 'almost illegal' side.

aaronng
28-05-2007, 02:12 AM
I consistently get 600+km out of my automatic with BP ultimate.

Usually manage an average of 8.0 - 8.5L/100km on a mix of 2/3 highway driving and 1/3 suburbian roads.

Tyre pressures on 36psi front, 34psi rear.

I occasionally drive with a heavy foot but most of the time with petrol prices (and the tyres) being as expensive as they are, I tend to drive more for fuel economy than performance. I've done 26000km and my tyre shoulders are looking on the 'almost illegal' side.

That's because of the 2/3 highway driving.

With 100% suburb driving, I get 10.5L/100km with the manual. So an auto should do 12-13L/100km.

pxrnm
28-05-2007, 04:04 PM
That's 13L/100km, which is in the range for an auto and a driver with a heavy foot. What are your tyre pressures?

it's 32 front and 30 rear, I do it as the sticker at the door. should i change it?

aaronng
29-05-2007, 01:06 AM
it's 32 front and 30 rear, I do it as the sticker at the door. should i change it?

That's the recommended. I like 36psi front and rear, but it is more harsh and noisy.

30psi rear is a little low in my opinion. Considered trying 34psi front and 32psi rear?

tanalasta
29-05-2007, 12:13 PM
Even 34psi and 32psi F/R is a bit low IMHO.

I tried gradients of 1PSI from the factory label all the way up to 38PSI and I found 36-37PSI gave me the response that I was happiest with.

ZYL11A
29-05-2007, 03:35 PM
I tend to drive mine more in tiptronic mode. I like to be in control of the rev range hwever I do agree that it takes a while to shift gears.

Im forever bouncing off the limiter especially in 1st and 2nd gears. I guess thats why my fuel consumption sucks :p

BiLL|z0r
30-05-2007, 07:18 AM
I tend to drive mine more in tiptronic mode. I like to be in control of the rev range hwever I do agree that it takes a while to shift gears.

Im forever bouncing off the limiter especially in 1st and 2nd gears. I guess thats why my fuel consumption sucks :p

HAHA, I'm the same. When in first I shift as the needle hits about 6300 as by the time it actually changes up a gear it's gone past 7000.

pxrnm
30-05-2007, 09:38 AM
That's the recommended. I like 36psi front and rear, but it is more harsh and noisy.

30psi rear is a little low in my opinion. Considered trying 34psi front and 32psi rear?

Okay I'll change it today (this will make the consumption lower right? trust me u'm not heavy on the pedal), it's just that i thought if I put to much air it will blow up or something.

tanalasta - 38 PSI is that for the 16" - I guess if it's in winter it's ok..., but if it's in summer and hot, won't that be dangerous? with the expansion and all

BusterSonic12
30-05-2007, 11:17 AM
i get around 13L on my auto BUT that's because i shift at 7200rpm when i m first at the red lights. If normal driving, like my mum using my euro, i get around 10L

tanalasta
30-05-2007, 11:31 AM
Tyre pressures I quoted were for 17" Potenza's.

Which have a 50PSI maximum pressure warning on the tyre rim. Mind you, I wouldn't pump it past 40PSI except in a spare tyre and to be honest, I am fairly happy with front 36-37psi.

aaronng
30-05-2007, 01:41 PM
Okay I'll change it today (this will make the consumption lower right? trust me u'm not heavy on the pedal), it's just that i thought if I put to much air it will blow up or something.

tanalasta - 38 PSI is that for the 16" - I guess if it's in winter it's ok..., but if it's in summer and hot, won't that be dangerous? with the expansion and all

Fuel consumption improves only up to a point. To me, that point is about 36psi. BTW, what engine oil do you use?

pxrnm
30-05-2007, 04:53 PM
Fuel consumption improves only up to a point. To me, that point is about 36psi. BTW, what engine oil do you use?

ngggggg no idea.... oil engine from the dealer when they did the 20k service i guess :confused: I'm pretty much dummy about cars except driving it.

I don't stamp on the pedal, never rev it pass 5k rpm as i recall... hmmm perhaps it's because of the terrain? going through hills and school zones + traffic? it's 13km and took me about 1/2 hour though to go to work.

aaagggggrr this is confusing... the car run smoorthly though no problem at all... just the consumption confuse me abit... it's not like major difference but how come mine is not the same with the others??? :(

tony1234
30-05-2007, 05:38 PM
i get around 13L on my auto BUT that's because i shift at 7200rpm when i m first at the red lights. If normal driving, like my mum using my euro, i get around 10L
Leon you rev head!!!:p

aaronng
30-05-2007, 05:41 PM
I don't stamp on the pedal, never rev it pass 5k rpm as i recall... hmmm perhaps it's because of the terrain? going through hills and school zones + traffic? it's 13km and took me about 1/2 hour though to go to work.

That's pretty slow, I guess that's why your fuel consumption is higher.

tanalasta
30-05-2007, 06:43 PM
I have my tyre pressures at 36/34'ish more because I like the way the car handles with those pressures rather than for fuel consumption alone.

Also, as someone else has mentioned - 32/30 tends to lose pressure quicker than 36/34.

Engine oil - Aaron - I use mobil 1 gold 10-30W.

pxrnm
31-05-2007, 10:30 AM
That's pretty slow, I guess that's why your fuel consumption is higher.

correction, I don't think i've ever passed 3k rpm... speed limit is 60kph with lots of 40kph school zone. I just used the auto function and not semi auto...

so it's the terrain+speed limit you reckon?

j4yps
01-06-2007, 03:09 PM
correction, I've don't think i ever passed 3k rpm... speed limit is 60kph with lots of 40kph school zone. I just used the auto function and not semi auto...

pxrnm..... im sure you've been tempted to floor that euro, just like everybody else.:thumbsup:

as for fuel comsumption, i normally get 540-560Km before that fuel light comes on. 9.5-10L/100Km for 54-56ltr of fuel.

talking bout fuel, I've always use 98 RON (shell) since day one. I recently noticed that shell has 100 ROn on one of thier pumps...has anybody tried it? if so, what's the performance/fuel consuption like?

pxrnm
01-06-2007, 04:30 PM
pxrnm..... im sure you've been tempted to floor that euro, just like everybody else.:thumbsup:

as for fuel comsumption, i normally get 540-560Km before that fuel light comes on. 9.5-10L/100Km for 54-56ltr of fuel.

talking bout fuel, I've always use 98 RON (shell) since day one. I recently noticed that shell has 100 ROn on one of thier pumps...has anybody tried it? if so, what's the performance/fuel consuption like?

what's your tyre pressure?? see this is making me jealous coz i can only squeze 430km out of 56L :mad:

aaronng
01-06-2007, 06:02 PM
correction, I've don't think i ever passed 3k rpm... speed limit is 60kph with lots of 40kph school zone. I just used the auto function and not semi auto...

Travelling at 40-60 with lots of stops will consume a lot more fuel than travelling at 60-80 non-stop on a clear road.

j4yps
02-06-2007, 12:57 AM
what's your tyre pressure?? see this is making me jealous coz i can only squeze 430km out of 56L :mad:

i normally run 37 psi front, and 35 rear...

Blitzen
11-10-2007, 12:03 AM
never really thought of these issue before reading the starter for the topic

hmmm... I never let go of the throtle when changing gears, but I feel the clutch engaging a long time from 1st to 2nd on flat roads, some mild acceleration

love the short shift ability though, I heard the in the new civic sports, you can't do that

anyway, redlined it a few times, but never really kept the pedal to the metal after 1st gear, usually just like cane it then short shift to 3rd gear and continue cruising, that's how to avoid speeding and i don't think ppl can hear the quiet vtec :P

aaronng
11-10-2007, 12:19 AM
Autos don't have a clutch but keeping the throttle down when shifting is fine. ear.

15-10-2007, 03:48 PM
That's pretty slow, I guess that's why your fuel consumption is higher. slow driving especially with auto sucks heaps of juice, your can be rolling at 60ks in 5th, put your foot down alittle and in the time it decides to downshift you have sucks up heaps of juice and it doesnt have enough torque to accelerate in 5th. put your foot down to much and it will drop 2-3 gears and u lauch, sucking up plenty of juice to, theres a happy medium in there some where.

correction, I don't think i've ever passed 3k rpm... speed limit is 60kph with lots of 40kph school zone. I just used the auto function and not semi auto...

so it's the terrain+speed limit you reckon? 3k!?!?!?! its how u drive i think man.

Travelling at 40-60 with lots of stops will consume a lot more fuel than travelling at 60-80 non-stop on a clear road.:thumbsup: accelerating sucks up heaps of juice, and even more so when in the worng gear!

IVTECS4
16-10-2007, 10:27 PM
Now that I drive in the city everyday , I always leave the shifter in D and just switch over to "manual mode" when entering the freeway to go home and switch it back to D after overtaking - though I have to wonder why the car's pickup is slow in manual mode( is that dreaded drive by wire or the computer not co-operating? ). I don't keep my foot of the pedal when I upshift , oh and I have a very very heavy right foot (been with me since my P plater days :P) . as for fuel consumption - I see that today that my trip computer cracked 620km on the dial : using Shell V Power fuel and 36psi in both the front and back tyres . I guess it could be able to run to 650km .