PDA

View Full Version : Car Shake at high speeds?

sameol3
19-02-2007, 03:37 PM
just wanted to know if anyone has had this problem or no any solutions towards it?...

the problem starts at around 90kmph... the car front end starts to shake and the steering wheel shakes with it... its on and off sometimes really bad but always noticeable and scarey sometimes too. its been suggested that my car needed a wheel balance, but i was thinking perhaps engine mount perhaps... could it really be just a wheel balance? cos if it was the wheel wouldn't the shaking start even before 90kmph?... would love to hear suggestions before i take the car back to the dealer to get checked out.... thanks in advance also..

aaronng
19-02-2007, 03:51 PM
It's your wheel balance. Go and get the dealer to check it out. Just tell them the steering wheel shakes at high speed. Don't tell them it is the wheel balance. They don't like to be told what to do. :)
The dealer should do it for free since it's new. If you want to spend money, you can get any tyre place to balance it for you.

yfin
19-02-2007, 07:38 PM
are you running the stock rims or aftermarket tuner wheels?

ShAwNeX
19-02-2007, 07:45 PM
Does wheel balance mean the overall roundness of the rims?

If it does then that's most likely to be the problem.

yfin
19-02-2007, 07:48 PM
Does wheel balance mean the overall roundness of the rims?

If it does then that's most likely to be the problem.

No - it is to get weight distributed evenly. You can also get the same wobble symptoms at high speed when fitting some aftermarket rims without hub centric rings.

EuroAccord13
19-02-2007, 08:05 PM
It's definitely a sign of wheel imbalance....

sameol3
19-02-2007, 08:15 PM
so i guess my friend was right after all... seems like everything is pointing to the wheels... and yes yfin they are after market buddy club rims... so i guess im heading to the tyre shop tommorrow..hopefully i dun need to get those hub things ur talking about.. thanks guys for ur input....:p

yfin
19-02-2007, 08:23 PM
so i guess my friend was right after all... seems like everything is pointing to the wheels... and yes yfin they are after market buddy club rims... so i guess im heading to the tyre shop tommorrow..hopefully i dun need to get those hub things ur talking about.. thanks guys for ur input....:p

I don't think those Buddy Club rims are hub centric - just like my Prodrives. I had the same problem as you and wheel balance had nothing to do with the vibration at high speeds. Fit the centering rings and smooth as silk baby on the freeway...

aaronng
19-02-2007, 08:25 PM

You must get those hub-centric rings. They are just plastic rings of specific thickness that you put around the centre nut hub area. Cheap too. Cheaper than a wheel balance.

yfin
19-02-2007, 08:30 PM
Just in case you are still unsure what they are - this is the seller I got mine from. I think they are that size but I can't find my records as it was so long ago...

If you are running those Buddy Club rims don't use the stock wheel nuts either! You may already know that but just in case....

Link (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HUBCENTRIC-RINGS-RING-HUB-CENTRIC-ACURA-HONDA_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ42614QQihZ019QQit emZ290082964937QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWD2V)

sameol3
19-02-2007, 09:36 PM
ermm lol well i didnt know that i shouldnt be using the stock lug nuts but was gonna change them as they were scratching the rim around the bolts when i take the nut off.... ok so what type of lugs will i be getting instead? the proper either rays or buddyclub lugs nuts or we talking a special type? damn im a noob lol... i cant believe a little bit of plastic on the centre could make such a difference.. im gonna order this straight away... just looking at the ebay item right now.... i have no idea about the dimensions... ill pm the guy to make sure... should the euro be the same as the TSX or we talking dimensions according to the specific Tuner rims?

P.S thanks guys for ur info i think u just saved me from doin a wheel balance for no reason lol...

aaronng
19-02-2007, 10:06 PM
Go to any tyre/rim shop and show them your rim and hub. They will measure and give you the suitable size. Ebay hub rings are a bad idea.

tony1234
20-02-2007, 06:39 AM
Go to any tyre/rim shop and show them your rim and hub. They will measure and give you the suitable size. Ebay hub rings are a bad idea.
Agreed.Go to a GOOD tyre shop and they'll fix it for you for minimal $$$.If you're in Sydney i know a few good ones(i learnt the hard way!!!)PM me if u are int.

twing
20-02-2007, 08:50 AM
pm civic_mods. He has a set that may suit you.
http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=59382

aaronng
20-02-2007, 09:02 AM
pm civic_mods. He has a set that may suit you.
http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=59382
I don't think samoel3 is sure of the size of rings that he needs.

itr_dc5
20-02-2007, 11:28 AM
Agreed.Go to a GOOD tyre shop and they'll fix it for you for minimal $$$.If you're in Sydney i know a few good ones(i learnt the hard way!!!)PM me if u are int.

Care to share the places you recommend.

Cheers

tony1234
20-02-2007, 02:47 PM
Care to share the places you recommend.

Cheers
Bob Jane at Tempe(sydney)Ask for Robert.Good guy.knows his stuff.I had balancing issues with my aftermarket 17s on my Euro.He spun the wheels up,found they were carrying too much weight,found the "heavy" spot on both the tyre and rim,then moved the tyre on the rim 180 deg so the"heavy"spots were opposite each other therefore requiring less weight to balance them(ithink)!!!Anyway it works.:thumbsup: BTW not all Bob Janes are the same(some are good some not so good).Hope this helps.

yfin
20-02-2007, 06:51 PM
i have had no problems with the rings sold by that seller on ebay and they have been fitted for a long time. What is the worst thing that can happen anyway? The rings are fitted around the hub - even if the ring breaks it isn't going to pose any safety risk as the lug nuts hold the rim to the car - not the ring.

As for your vibration issue Sameol3 - you may well still need a wheel balance + the rings. Those wheels should have been balanced when you purchased the rims and tyres. How long ago was that?

aaronng
20-02-2007, 07:10 PM
If the rings are too thin for his rims, then they are useless. If they are too thick, then the wheel won't fit on. Depends on his rims on how big the centre space in the rim is...

Riviera
20-02-2007, 07:12 PM
i got a wheel balance done for $45 i consider that cheap then again i didnt completely read the thread to understand what and where we are talking about but yes

panda[cRx]
20-02-2007, 10:14 PM
didn't bother reading all the posts but sounds like u need a wheel balance (as already stated)

and aarong it's an 04 euro, the dealer isn't gonna do the balance for free unless they stuffed it up at a service VERY recently

aaronng
20-02-2007, 10:22 PM
;1075640']
and aarong it's an 04 euro, the dealer isn't gonna do the balance for free unless they stuffed it up at a service VERY recently
Ahh, is a wheel balance included with wheel rotation during service without extra charge?

panda[cRx]
20-02-2007, 10:31 PM
Ahh, is a wheel balance included with wheel rotation during service without extra charge?

depends from dealer to dealer. some will include it with a tyre rotation as a part of the service, others wont but might sublet it to a tyre shop upon request.
i guess it depends if they have a balancer and how much time they wanna spend on it for minimal or no monetary return

tony1234
21-02-2007, 06:17 AM
I wouldn't get a dealer to balance my rims.Go to good tyre shop instead.

tron07
21-02-2007, 09:58 AM
Hesman (Princess Hw, Sydney) does good alignment job, not sure about wheel balancing.

Do you guys do on wheel or off wheel balancing?? I prefer doing it off then on wheel for the front.. but so far havent done anything yet, car still good and new.

tony1234
21-02-2007, 10:19 AM
Hesman (Princess Hw, Sydney) does good alignment job, not sure about wheel balancing.

Do you guys do on wheel or off wheel balancing?? I prefer doing it off then on wheel for the front.. but so far havent done anything yet, car still good and new.
Yeah,heard they're good.Yes they do balancing both on and off car.

aaronng
21-02-2007, 10:20 AM

Most of the places do a wheel off balancing. I think only the very large BMW dealers do it on the car.

sameol3
22-02-2007, 07:37 PM
half good news i eventually got the centric rings yesterday from Jax tyres in liverpool. i went around a couple of tyre places around my area like bob jane and tyre power and they didnt even want to help as if they were too lazy to take off the wheel. Jax had good service tho, they didnt have any that fit so they measured it and ordered a set for me. i took it quickly down to the motorway and most of the wobble was gone...which was good. Still feel abit of front end shake tho so im pointing towards the wheel balance like u guys have suggested. So far so good tho, im guessing when they did the wheel balance they didnt do a good job at it as it wasnt long ago that i did it. Never the less, theres progress just hoping they got me the right size for the rings. i might take off the wheel to see if they sit flush. ill do the wheel balance soon to see if that helps, might take it down to tempe bob jane to do the wheel balancing as tony sugguested as i want to get it right this time.. cheers guys for all the input.

just a quick question tho, considering they are aftermarket rims honda wouldnt do a free balancing anyways as they are not stock... just curious...

aaronng
22-02-2007, 07:57 PM
Jax is pretty good. I needed to swap tyres with another set and most places didn't want to touch them if it wasn't a set that I bought from them. Jax did it with no fuss.

tony1234
23-02-2007, 06:13 AM
Jax is pretty good. I needed to swap tyres with another set and most places didn't want to touch them if it wasn't a set that I bought from them. Jax did it with no fuss.
Yeah Jax is also good.:thumbsup:

tron07
23-02-2007, 09:24 AM
Funny eh... business also turn away, guess they dont want any liability

aaronng
23-02-2007, 09:47 AM
Funny eh... business also turn away, guess they dont want any liability

The thing is, all the other places didn't want to hear a word of it. Jax instead asked me why I wanted to swap my tyres with another set (told them it was for track). And all was good.

SPQR
03-03-2007, 04:56 PM
half good news i eventually got the centric rings yesterday from Jax tyres in liverpool. i went around a couple of tyre places around my area like bob jane and tyre power and they didnt even want to help as if they were too lazy to take off the wheel. Jax had good service tho, they didnt have any that fit so they measured it and ordered a set for me. i took it quickly down to the motorway and most of the wobble was gone...which was good. Still feel abit of front end shake tho so im pointing towards the wheel balance like u guys have suggested. So far so good tho, im guessing when they did the wheel balance they didnt do a good job at it as it wasnt long ago that i did it. Never the less, theres progress just hoping they got me the right size for the rings. i might take off the wheel to see if they sit flush. ill do the wheel balance soon to see if that helps, might take it down to tempe bob jane to do the wheel balancing as tony sugguested as i want to get it right this time.. cheers guys for all the input.

just a quick question tho, considering they are aftermarket rims honda wouldnt do a free balancing anyways as they are not stock... just curious...

Hello, I'm new to this but I've had a lot of experience with cars. Hub-centric wheels are vital. Balancing can be negated if the studs aren't tighened in the recommended sequence.

itr_dc5
06-03-2007, 11:57 AM

If you don't mind me asking what did they charge you for the rings?

Cheers

sameol3
12-03-2007, 10:18 AM
well i ended up having to get them custom made to fit my rims so they measured it and frieghted a set. ended up costing 30 dollars...

kiranganda
13-03-2007, 09:57 AM
There is another thing to be considered. Your Brakes. If it shaks more under Brakes you might have to get hour disks machined for over all smoothness of the face of the disk.

cdjhitman
15-03-2007, 12:18 PM
guys, i dont have after market rims but have normal oem 16" rims and the car does shake above 95kms an hr. after what ive been reading sounds like a wheel balance or wheel alignment will do the job to smooth out the ride. is that correct?

tron07
15-03-2007, 01:59 PM
Whens the last time you had your car alignment and balancing done?? If 1 year ago, time to get it done. A very good place to do alignment is at Heasman Sterring at Princess Highway, Sydenem.. not sure if they do balancing or not.

cdjhitman
15-03-2007, 03:14 PM
i bought new tyres for my car about a month ago and eva since then its been shaking at high speeds. wheel alignment is done automatically when purchasing new tyres or is it wheel balancing, i forgot which one.

Suntzu
15-03-2007, 03:18 PM
My euro shakes at 247kph , but only when my dog puts his head out the window. :)

cdjhitman
15-03-2007, 03:20 PM
haha nice

adammet04
16-03-2007, 07:55 AM
Just wanted to add my experience to the question about wheel shake at over 90kmh

*sorry for long winded response*

I have found, that this can *also* occur from the following reasons:

you tyre tread is screwed/warped/deformed.
Alignment
discs warped / deposits on the discs..

I got some aftermaket rims for my car..but the tyres were like no name brand..(which i didnt know at the time ) after about 5000k - 10000k , i got the same issue. Wheel shake at about 100km and got worse when i brake..
After a couple of trips to the dealer it was improved slightly with a wheel re alignment and my wheels rotated..
finally at 30,000ks i decided to get new rubber..was only going to get 2 front tyres, when i got a call from the tyre place saying i should come in and have a look at my wheels, the guy spun my wheel on the machine they use to fit the tyre and you could see the thread moving in a wavy pattern, i could see that the tread had actually deformed, one i got some new (decent) tyres the problem all but disappeared.
I still had wheel shake on braking, machining the brakes and replacing my rear brakes fixed the issue for my car,
recently it has come back but i believe this is now because of the front brakes and the fact i have done about 50,000 on the current tyres.

sendok
16-03-2007, 09:56 AM
yeah.. simply tyres and allginment sometimes can fix this problem :D

CB7_OWNER
14-04-2008, 08:41 PM
This happens to me too, but only in the 4th gear (auto)....( im thinking its the engine mounts)...but when i shift down to 3rd gear, the shaking dissapears!..my mech friend thinks its low end power missing...

sameol3
26-04-2008, 05:40 PM
oh my some late replies....lol... late update...wobbling has come back after lowering the car...hmm maybe i didnt notice it before cos i hardly drove my car til recently....wobbling after 95Km/h is getting really annoying considering i drive on the motorway everyday now to work...did a wheel balance and wheel alignment after installing coilovers... what i think the problem is as stated before that its gotta be either actual crappy tires or engine mounts cos it does feel like its in the front end wobble....cant really notice at the back.... braking is fine...but definitely the tyres are more likely to be the suspect....its probably funked...dun want to really buy new tyres to test that theory tho lol....hmm might take it down to a few garages or heasmans to have a look...they should know wat is going on....hopefully...

tony1234
26-04-2008, 06:26 PM
Heasmans are good for balancing.:thumbsup:

SPQR
28-04-2008, 08:12 PM
It's amazing how "brands" get started. I remember when Hyundai first came to Australia. At the time it was only available in Western Australia. With time, it has built-up a following. The same is true with the no-name tyre brands that seem to be popping up from China, Indonesia, Taiwan, Korea, Mongolia (only joking), etc. With time, the average mug will think that they are OK. In fact the young ones amongst us probably grew-up never knowing a time when Hyundai did not exist in Australia.

For the record. The "name" brands of tyres are (in no particular order):-

Michelin
Goodyear
Dunlop
Pirelli
Continental
Avon

Later arrivals:
Yokohama
Bridgestone (a relatively late arrival after having bought-out Uniroyal in Australia late last century)

Once upon a time there was even "Olympic Tyres" and "Uniroyal Tyres".