PDA

View Full Version : Subaru foglights on a DA9 - Pics

Rasputin
19-02-2007, 11:25 PM
Hey guys,
Just kinda excited and wanted to show you what I'm going to be up to tomorrow.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v439/bleeding_sun/fog.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v439/bleeding_sun/fog2.jpg

For ages I'd been staring at those two tiny black grills underneath the bumper lights, wishing I had some of those cool little stock foglights to actually put that real estate to good use. Unfortunately, those Toiko lights are impossible to find, and while they look great on black/white/grey tegs, the yellow would be a bit ugly on a maroon teg like mine.

So cut to two weeks ago, when on ebay I saw a set of fogs that had a shape that reminded me of the g2's headlight design. Although they obviously weren't fogs of a teg. I emailed the user to ask about dimensions, and put a $0.99 bid on them to remind myself to check back later. But I forgot completely...

Luckily I won anyway, and after throwing the guy an extra $5 on top of the bid, received them today for $16 total. Turns out they're subaru fogs, and manage to JUST squeeze in! Not wired yet, but here are the initial pics anyway. I've been able to wiggle them in further after taking these photos, but still have to flesh out exactly how they'll end up sitting, and how I'll have them mounted.

Let me know your thoughts.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v439/bleeding_sun/fog3.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v439/bleeding_sun/fog4.jpg

TRU32U
20-02-2007, 03:37 PM
lol ur lucky that they fitted =)
il say once wired up 16 plus wires money well spent!!!

Rasputin
20-02-2007, 03:45 PM
Yeah, well the only problem is that I have the OEM foglight switch...but I can't find the wiring plug for it. >.< No idea where it's run off to.

Also, any ideas on the best way to keep it mounted nice and solid? I don't want to just ghetto-glue it in, because I want to be able to remove them again to change bulbs etc. I was thinking having to remove the bumper, and using bolts or something.
Or maybe through the little plastic 'column' between it and the radiator.

Then some yellow h3 bulbs and away we go.

egSi
20-02-2007, 04:27 PM
thats hella tight man :thumbsup:

$16? so cheap. u may need to make a small sheet metal bracket to be attatched from behind to mount them.

plz post some more pics when ur done. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Rasputin
20-02-2007, 05:24 PM
I realise this may sound ridiculous, but stay with me for a second.

I want to be able to remove them without having to have screws etc sticking through the bumper, but they need to be in strong enough to not come out over bumps etc (At the moment they hold themselves in because the fit is so tight.

Now, I have lots and lots of old PC parts lying around, and some of the strongest magnets easily available come in pc hard drives. If I was to mount one of these to the light, it'd definately be enough to hold it onto the car, without having to alter the bumper, and I could still pull it off by hand.

I know it probably sounds strange, but I can't invisage how I can make a bracket which would let me change the bulb without removing the bumper. Unless It was some kind of clip-in, pull-out thing.

And yeah trav, the mad cheap prices. I've also mainly been eating mi goreng to help save for those tie bars I'm gonna need off you :P

vtegra
21-02-2007, 12:01 PM
Good Effort, Well Done Looks Good

vtegra
22-02-2007, 02:03 PM
just a question... the ppl that like the da's... would u prefer the the circle lights model but with the ls lights.. jdm version???

IZY-10
22-02-2007, 02:36 PM
not sure if i really like the fog lights. Maybe if they where set back deeper into the bar i guess it would look alright. Have you thought about getting a heat gun out and molding the bar so that the fog lamps would have a more snug fit.
(Vtegra empty your mail box i cant pm its full)

INTEGGRA
22-02-2007, 04:37 PM
I dont like it, to much going on 3 sets of lights ... maybe get a nudge bar and put 4-6 spottys WRX RALLY STYLE !!

Q_ball
22-02-2007, 04:39 PM
Yeh not a fan sorry, jst doesnt fit flush enough for me.

Rasputin
22-02-2007, 04:59 PM
Vtegra, yeah I defiantely like the JDM Dc2r (i think that's the one you're talking about) same basic shape of the headlights, but overall look much nicer. Plus the car is much, much better than the da9 of course. I just love the way ours look.

IZY-10, yeah I have a heatgun, but I don't think I need it, thanks for the idea though, it might come in handy.
I removed some excess from the back of the lights are am now able to get them further in so that they sit back a lot nicer.

Thanks for the comments, postive and otherwise, helps give me ideas on what to do. :thumbsup:

vtegra
22-02-2007, 05:07 PM
now that i look at it. i dont like it..
inbox is empty now

INTEGGRA
22-02-2007, 05:27 PM
lol vetgra jump on the band wagon its about to leave !
Im with Q needs to sit flush if your gonna do it.

vtegra
22-02-2007, 05:28 PM
:) yeh i was drunk when i saw it last time

Rasputin
22-02-2007, 06:56 PM
Lol vtegra, at least it's not as bad as when that happens in a club :P

Redteg
24-02-2007, 06:47 AM
Good on you for your creativity! It isn't something I'd do myself but no-one can knock you back for doing something you want to!

Maybe look into making some sort of surround so the lights sit flush with the bar opening. Painted black, the surround may integra-te the lights in a little better.

Do the lights have mounting holes in the back? Maybe you can fab up a bracket to bolt the fogs into the radiator support panel behind the indicators. That way, all you need to do to remove them is remove the indicators and unbolt.

I don't think I'd trust magnets, not with some of the bumps I hit...

Rasputin
24-02-2007, 08:59 AM
Hey man, getting to them through the indicators is a good idea, thanks.

Yeah hopefully I can get them flush enough, without having to modify my bumper.

H0nda
24-02-2007, 09:41 AM
I have these exact same lights, brand new in the box.
I think there Impreza fog lights. I could fit them to my ED???