PDA

View Full Version : Tires or...?

Petronas
20-02-2007, 08:43 AM
Well my 89 Civic has never had good tires on her but lately she (Nina) has been stepping out of place every now and again... Forcing me to put the slightest amount of opposite lock on to catch her tail... (Yeah I know... Amazing considering I don't even drive that fast)

Is this end of her cheap tire life span? I will try to get some pics up soon..

This is a noob question though doesnt it mean when the tires are worn it means there is more surface area for them to contact the tarmac with meaning more grip (In the dry)?

(I watch too much 80's formula one)

aaronng
20-02-2007, 08:46 AM
If your tyres are old, they also harden and you will lose grip. I'd say if you are losing grip in the dry, it would be terrible in the rain.

EuroAccord13
20-02-2007, 09:06 AM
I remember reading before that a tyre have a lifespan of 6 years or so and as Aaron mentioned, degrades over time.

The threads on the tyres are there to disperse water in wet conditions, you'll need them or you will just be aquaplaning on the water instead of the ground.

aaronng
20-02-2007, 09:59 AM
If you don't use any tyre shine thingy, they last only 3 years parked outside. After that, you'll notice chunks of rubber missing from the shoulders. The rubber just turns brittle under our harsh UV climate.

Petronas
20-02-2007, 10:37 AM
If your tyres are old, they also harden and you will lose grip. I'd say if you are losing grip in the dry, it would be terrible in the rain.

Oh it is... I'm seriously considering changing my tires... But then again I am planning to buy a new car in 4 to 6 months... So I don't know...

In the rain I have to be extra careful... (Especially on those metal tracks on bridges, the ones which seem to connect one half from the other?)

How much is a set of cheap tires go for these days? Is it worth buying new tires for another 4 to 6 months only?

Thanx

JasonGilholme
20-02-2007, 10:39 AM
bout 90 bucks a corner will get you some more meat.

aaronng
20-02-2007, 10:47 AM
Oh it is... I'm seriously considering changing my tires... But then again I am planning to buy a new car in 4 to 6 months... So I don't know...

In the rain I have to be extra careful... (Especially on those metal tracks on bridges, the ones which seem to connect one half from the other?)

How much is a set of cheap tires go for these days? Is it worth buying new tires for another 4 to 6 months only?

Thanx

Get something of a good brand, but cheap. Then when you resell your car, you tell them that it has new tyres worth $$$$.. and it'll be easier to sell to the normal non-petrolhead. It's one of those things like having heaps of rego left when selling the car.