PDA

View Full Version : Lightened Flywheel for B20A series

Bob
20-02-2007, 05:32 PM
I replace my flywheel a while ago with an 8lb Aluminium Fidanza flywheel. This might be useful for those looking at their options.

Attached is a link to Prelude Power on the discussion.

http://www.preludepower.com/forums/showthread.php?t=231473&highlight=lightened+flywheel

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f68/ludebob89/Prelude/IMGP0455.jpg

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f68/ludebob89/Prelude/IMGP0454.jpg

Engine is a B20A6 with D2J5 transmission.
The engine is completly stock.
No installation issues. Everything fits.
I went for the Fidanza AL FW and Xtreme HD clutch

Fidanza 8lb Flywheel:
Engine feels more lively. Drivability of the flywheel is not an issue at all. It is easy to engage the clutch without stalling. There are no changes to the idle. I would however mention that i tuned the car and put new plugs in prior to handing it to the mechanic. Downshifts are quicker as there is no need to match the revs of the transmission and engine (less engine braking effect), so it is quicker to shift into lower gears.
Actual acceleration performance is a marginal increase. Better low down response where our engines have limited power. This now emphasises the point that I need extractors and intake sorted out so the engine can breathe. I would suggest that the only fuel difference will be in the way you drive it. It is still easy to maintain a cuise speed without cruise control.
Note standard flywheel is 21lb. I weighed it the other night. Bloody heavy in comparison.

Extreme HD Clutch:
This clutch has about 30% more clamping force over the stock unit and it shows in the peddle. I have had to bring the seat more upright in order to control it better. The clutch engages quite firmly and it shows a notable increase in bite when changing gears. Still has a slight soft engagement feel as you get with organic plates though (this is good for drivability). Peronally i like the heavier clutch feel.
No noticable change to fuel milage.
If i drove it sensibly and made an atempt for best milage there might even be some savings. Mostly I drive to and from work. Short trips ~25kms each way.
I used to get a pretty consistent 9lt/100kms. This figure has not changed since the install.

Anyway. All good. I love it.

Part Number Reference
Fidanza Aluminium 8lb flywheel PN - LAF8173 (Wholesaler - Clutch Industries, NSW)
Xtreme HD Clutch PN - KHN22001HD (Cheapest, good clutch)
OR Exedy HD Clutch PN HCK - 6888HD

rogue_mc
26-02-2007, 04:06 PM
Nice stuff Bob.... is the pedal action heavier or lighter? I'm probably thinking of going down this route but wouldn't particularly want a heavier pedal feel.

Bob
27-02-2007, 01:25 PM
The clutch pedal is heavier to use. I have been used to it for a while now and there are no issues with it. My wife has no problem driving it.

I understand the Exedy HD clutch uses a modified lever point on the pressure plate and maintains more of a stock feel to pedal effort. This was information from the Exedy office in Vic. I am yet to actually verify this with a 3rd gen owner though.

rogue_mc
01-03-2007, 12:47 PM
How much did it cost all up?

Bob
01-03-2007, 04:43 PM
Including Labour was about $1400 ish.