PDA

View Full Version : Is it neccessary to completely remove timing belt when removing cams

BlitZ
21-02-2007, 11:24 AM
Is it neccessary to completely remove timing belt when removing cams.

Can i just side it off the top off the cam gears and reslide it back in later..

Or do i have to completely undo the tensioner ETC ETC..

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

AND Also

Is there a way to loosening the cam gear bolt off the cam sticks... I have tried removing them with a torque wrench when they were off.. but it was damn hard... is there an easier way?

thanks ,
Peolpes

STOCK
21-02-2007, 12:08 PM
To put the cams/cam gears back on properly you will have to release the tensioner.

To remove the cam gear bolt i used a rattle gun.

Drew
21-02-2007, 12:08 PM
You could loosed the tensioner and slide it off one cam at a time; just get someone to hold it tight so it doesn't slip a tooth or five...
Could be done; but really it's more hassle than its worth and doing it properly is easier

BlitZ
21-02-2007, 12:17 PM
To put the cams/cam gears back on properly you will have to release the tensioner.

To remove the cam gear bolt i used a rattle gun.

lossing the tensioner only? or remove the complete side to expose the belt ?:confused:

BlitZ
21-02-2007, 12:19 PM
You could loosed the tensioner and slide it off one cam at a time; just get someone to hold it tight so it doesn't slip a tooth or five...
Could be done; but really it's more hassle than its worth and doing it properly is easier

ok.. so just loosening tensioner and slide off the cam/cam gear leaving belt behind the covers and on the crank..

fishman
21-02-2007, 01:13 PM
yeah but if you're gonna go through the trouble of loosening the tensioner, you're already more than half way to removing the belt. So might as well.

BlitZ
21-02-2007, 02:08 PM
yeah but if you're gonna go through the trouble of loosening the tensioner, you're already more than half way to removing the belt. So might as well.

hahah yeah but FARK me... i am only changing the cam gears which wont even give me .5 kw atw ...

Apparently you dont even have to remove the cams for the cam gears..

some people just..

I am just changing cam gears:

I have read -
lock in cams(leave them in there), loosen tensioner, crack open cam gears, replace it and tension eveyrhting back up..

Is this viable ?... dont trust honda-tech 100% half of them are tyre kcikers

fishman
21-02-2007, 02:51 PM
probably not worth the time unless you changing cams too.

Samo
21-02-2007, 03:54 PM
i would take the timing belt off just to be sure the bottom is not out a both or 2 ... this way u can line the bottom mark up incase it have moved

to remove the cam gears without a rattle gun ... just stick a thick screw driver thru the gaps perferably a small pry bar and undo with a rachet this way the cams cant move ... works for me everytime

BlitZ
21-02-2007, 04:40 PM
probably not worth the time unless you changing cams too.

getting ecu dynoed... so i am thinking i might as well dial in cam cam gears.
something along the lines of +2 intake -1 zorst..

kinda want to bring the top end down abit for more driveability

BlitZ
21-02-2007, 04:41 PM
i would take the timing belt off just to be sure the bottom is not out a both or 2 ... this way u can line the bottom mark up incase it have moved

you can align the crank pulley and marker on cover..

fatboyz39
21-02-2007, 06:34 PM
just loosen the tensioner enoguh to slide the belt off the cam gears. Use a rattle gun to take the cam gear bolts.

Drew
21-02-2007, 06:39 PM
Seriously dude it can be done without fully removing the belt...

But trust me... It is a lot easier to do the job completely

Samo
21-02-2007, 07:22 PM
i know it can be done without removing belt..

when u put the belt on theres just a good chance tha the bottom mark gets moveds dats all ...

but why risk it doing it dodgy ?? .... its just not worth to risk it

TODA AU
21-02-2007, 09:11 PM
Are your cams standard?

BlitZ
22-02-2007, 03:53 PM
Are your cams standard?

yeah they are... :thumbsup:... Im only expecting 0.005kw from them

string
22-02-2007, 07:08 PM
i know it can be done without removing belt..

when u put the belt on theres just a good chance tha the bottom mark gets moveds dats all ...

but why risk it doing it dodgy ?? .... its just not worth to risk it
There is no risk of you ever losing cam timing....

Cam gears have up marks to indicate TDC, and your crank pulley has a TDC mark on it.

Complete removal of the timing belt is a waste of time. You do need to loosen the tensioner however as said previously.

As for the cam thing, just find the right sized allen key and put it in the slot to lock it in. Look at the cams, you'll figure it out :)

BlitZ
22-02-2007, 07:56 PM
There is no risk of you ever losing cam timing....

Cam gears have up marks to indicate TDC, and your crank pulley has a TDC mark on it.

Complete removal of the timing belt is a waste of time. You do need to loosen the tensioner however as said previously.

As for the cam thing, just find the right sized allen key and put it in the slot to lock it in. Look at the cams, you'll figure it out :)

thats the way im going to do it.. thanks peoples

TDC
loosen tensioner
lock in cams
crack cam bolts
slide off belt
change gears
blah blah blah
retension belt as per belt change
Crank it several time by hand to confirm..
:thumbsup:

TODA AU
22-02-2007, 08:41 PM
yeah they are... :thumbsup:... Im only expecting 0.005kw from them

No, no... That's wasn't my point at all.
As the other guys have said,
Std cams can be locked in place at TDC... ;)
Use 5mm pin punch or similar
Cheers

Adrian

tinkerbell
23-02-2007, 09:50 AM
i.e. some aftermarket (all?) camshafts dont have the holes that the OEM camshafts have, so you cant use the pin to lock them in ;)