PDA

View Full Version : Building up a D

fozee
18-06-2004, 04:07 PM
What in your opinion would be the best way to build up NA a D series engine to compete, on the road performance wise, with NA DOHC engines of similar capacity?

I/H/E all go without saying.

The D series in question is a '99 D16Y4, stock 88kw.

I realise some of you may just think that a conversion or boosting is the best way.
But thats not what im asking so please restrain form posting unproductive useless comment. Cheers.

egSi
18-06-2004, 04:20 PM
hey man i hear you.

i got a 92 g Si with a d16a8 and im gonna do all motor.

ive got stuffed lined up for it but nothing on it now besides intake/exhaust.

if you wana get the real deal on d16s talk to EG5(yonas)
hes got the fastest Si with a 15.1 quater all motor.

he seriously know his shit so ask him a few Q's.

also go and check out d-series.org. mad US forum with hell good info on all things D. couple of aussies on there too.

stick with the allmotor D man, i might be surpirsd.

fozee
18-06-2004, 04:31 PM
Cheers bro!! :thumbsup:

Anyone know what sort of price range am i looking at for '99 SOHC VTEC head?
ALong with fitting and tuning to my non vtec block?
Will i need to change my tach, which is stock.

[[d a n n y]]
18-06-2004, 04:56 PM
rather than doing that..

u'll get more bang for your bucks..in doign an conversion or turboing it.

just my opinion :D

Weq
18-06-2004, 05:09 PM
do a mini-me conversion for one. build up the heads with titanium everything, port it out/polish. Grab a new cam also (zex are pretty good). Go for some high-compression forged pistions and aftermarket rods (11.5++:1). bore out the cylinders a little for some more displacement. Look at an aftermarket intake manifold, or atleast a y8 manifold + post.
I/H/E wont do shit to ur D, for power u will have to replace alot of things.

McChook
18-06-2004, 05:57 PM
Yeah, big ass crower cam, whopping pistons, thinnest head gasket possible (stock gasket stripped to one piece will do) shaved head, P and P, adjustable cm gear, ECU, quad throttle bodies.....

bennjamin
18-06-2004, 06:04 PM
and....dont forget to GUT the bitch ;)

fozee
18-06-2004, 08:21 PM
**** the quads too much cash involved with that baby...
But then again, if it has to be done then it has to be done.

Nuttz
19-06-2004, 01:08 AM
hehehe... your complaining about how much its gonna cost???!!! :D

if u want your D16 to keep up with a B16 your gonna have to increase compression... and upgrade all the the rest.

crx_16x
19-06-2004, 01:33 AM
I remember reading something about using PM7 pistons in a mini-me conversion to end up with some pretty high comp.

McChook
19-06-2004, 01:45 AM
The question that has to be answered...

Why do you have to keep the D-series... IF you are going to spend money on making it go faster, does it matter how you spend the money??

EXAMPLE
You have a $3000 budget, so you can either
a)Drop in a B-series engine
b)Turbo the bitch (I just said that)
c)Spend $3000 of D16 mods...

Now, granted, if you want to stay NA (which is more than logical in most cases), then option b) is scrapped....

Your 2 options are: spend $3000 on a D series to get a lesser result, with less instand potential than dropping in a B-series engine... or just drop in a B-series... Why must you keep a dead end engine (realistically) when you can spend the same money and get the same (if not MORE) power by sticking in a B-series, which has much further potential for a longer period of time at a cheaper cost to modify

SIKCVC
19-06-2004, 01:55 AM
lets face it a b-series into a 91+ civic costs at least $4000, I mean you do get a bit back with shit off your cut and selling your engine, but make sure you have at least $4000 coz doing the 100000km service plus all the little things adds up quickly. And thats before you call in anyone to help... prosuming you cant do it yourself.

But dude... if you wanna go D-series do it... I have to admit I would love more low range power, b series are a very revy and a lot of people dont like that.

McChook
19-06-2004, 02:03 AM
lets face it a b-series into a 91+ civic costs at least $4000, I mean you do get a bit back with shit off your cut and selling your engine, but make sure you have at least $4000 coz doing the 100000km service plus all the little things adds up quickly. And thats before you call in anyone to help... prosuming you cant do it yourself.

Ask Cat_Spew how much his conversion cost....
It was only an example, not the be all and end all....

Having done a "wild" D16a8 before, they are hardly torquey down low. And by the time you add it all up, a B16a looked as though it would have been a better option... I have a mate who used to have an EF Si civic, and we spent big bucks on the engine... in the end, I don't think it was worth it...

fozee
19-06-2004, 08:48 AM
Im taking this all onboard.

There is no reason as to why i would keep the D its just that everything on this forum is all about the B series.

Some may choose the D to work with cause a transplant isnt involved.
It isnt doesnt seem to be done often. Seemingly to be a deadend engine or not.

I dont think my D series has much in the way of low end compared to my old b16a. Figure wise there may be a significant difference but the way i drove it there seems to be little difference.

I want to do a mini-me conversion it will be the next mod to happen.

egSi
19-06-2004, 04:48 PM
hey foz man, **** what everyone says bout the b vs d.

you cannot win the conversaion with out wooping their arse.

i admit it would be much more expensive to get build an allmotor D. but not impossible!

my question is: what would be cooler to say?

i have an allmotor 13sec. d16
or
i have an allmotor 13sec b16
??????

Phat_ciVic
19-06-2004, 04:53 PM
or for the money u've spent on the d u could prolly have an 11 sec b.
so wots cooler saying

or
i have an allmotor 11sec b16

egSi
21-06-2004, 11:12 AM
or for the money u've spent on the d u could prolly have an 11 sec b.
so wots cooler saying

or
i have an allmotor 11sec b16

shutup gordo hahaha :D
but
why is it more expensive for a D?

you dont buy mugen or spoon parts for D's.

Phat_ciVic
21-06-2004, 06:45 PM
oh now i can't tell you why tho
u told me to shutup lol

egSi
22-06-2004, 08:45 AM
oh now i can't tell you why tho
u told me to shutup lol

:nod:

Setanta
23-06-2004, 11:30 PM
my question is: what would be cooler to say?

or
i have an allmotor 13sec b16
??????

13sec D16???? ROFLMAO

The US "Junkyard-turbo" D16s may do that - good luck with it in NA spec at a reasonable budget ;)

ALLMTE had a 12 second B20/B16 hybrid in an incredibly light 3rd gen Civic - I'd like to see you match it with your D series and hit 11s phat_ciVic :D:D:D:D

McChook - was that Ted's ED6 with the ZC dropped in?

ALLMTR
24-06-2004, 12:24 AM
You will have to be at >700kg and more than 13:1 to get 13's with a D. Not bagging you guys but your talking about performance that people with a HEAP of more experience haven't achieved

bennjamin
24-06-2004, 12:35 AM
You will have to be at >700kg and more than 13:1 to get 13's with a D. Not bagging you guys but your talking about performance that people with a HEAP of more experience haven't achieved

:thumbsup:

...you can only flog a dead horse so far.....:)

Weq
24-06-2004, 03:24 PM

woo, start with one of these babies..
http://www.exospeed.com/engine/bisimoto.htm

bisimoto ran 10.7 on a d15.

Setanta
24-06-2004, 04:17 PM
You fail to mention just how far down that 'rex was stripped by bisimoto ;)

joneblaze
24-06-2004, 04:45 PM
God, take that link to Bisimoto away, Bren will spoof himself...aGAIN. lol

Weq
24-06-2004, 05:55 PM

taht said, all allmtr drag car's are stripped.. look at allmtr's ef! :P

anyways, in the US d16's + ef's put down 12 all day long.. just a mild setup...

ALLMTR
24-06-2004, 06:31 PM
Ah I've never had an EF.....I'm not big on the late model stuff hehehe

Well Bisi has run a 9 with an F series so you should do one of them. PLEASE don't think you can do what L_E_G_E_N_D_S can...

bennjamin
24-06-2004, 06:39 PM

taht said, all allmtr drag car's are stripped.. look at allmtr's ef! :P

anyways, in the US d16's + ef's put down 12 all day long.. just a mild setup...

I could find some more examples....of low 13's and high 12's....on both DOHC ZC's and other D's....most with twin carb conversion. Mind you , not the most street friendly setup :roll:

http://www.aros.net/~mstahnky/humor/Newly%20Added%20Pictures/Drag%20Race%20Bus.jpg
D's can be quick. But so can buses with enough money put into them . . .
But...i refuse to enter this argument.

Weq
24-06-2004, 08:18 PM
sorry allmtr! ED?? :)
THis isnt an argument. Its a good thread with nice information.. benny, u know u want those bisi's headers!

bennjamin
24-06-2004, 11:48 PM
benny, u know u want those bisi's headers!

Im already sleeping with Bisi (Ezerioha - the man himself) to hopefully make one up for my D :twisted:

[[d a n n y]]
25-06-2004, 12:27 AM
r those american dollars?

Setanta
25-06-2004, 01:10 AM

Weq: The designations ED, EF and EE all cover the 4th gen Civics. EF = JDM 4G, EE = European 4G and ED = everywhere else 4G (inc Aust and the US).

Chuck ran a 3rd gen Civic not a 4G. ;)

A streetable D won't get into the 11s, most streetable USDM 4G Civics with either D, B, ZC, Mini-me etc dont break out of the 14s. The DX might due to its lack of weight, but the average Si (similar weight to our ED6) wont. A B will be lucky to hit 11s as well - doubtful in NA street trim without tons of development and cash. As for those that do, over the years I've been following the development of the 4G civics and the ones that break decent (sub 13sec) figures have had a small fortune spent on them. It's only the junkyard turbo setups that do it on the cheap - and that's because the philosophy of a D series junkyard build is "it's cheap - who cares if it blows". :) An ED is lighter than an EG or EK by a fair bit to start with, that also puts the D into an EG build at a disadvantage making it harder to crack 13s and lower without massive cash investment.

Ah well, have said my piece, I can think of bettter performance build-ups, but thats just me :)

Weq
25-06-2004, 01:31 AM
]]r those american dollars?
yep...
bout the same price as a toda header? notice the concial 'velocity' enhancing neck!

egSi
25-06-2004, 07:52 AM
:shock: people dont like Ds very much.
only makes me wana do mine more :x

EG5
25-06-2004, 02:06 PM

do it then and show us what can it do down the 1/4 mile or circuit racing or maybe a touge ;)

egSi
25-06-2004, 02:24 PM

do it then and show us what can it do down the 1/4 mile or circuit racing or maybe a touge ;)

i get my license back in 47days dude, look out then. ;)

DynoDave
26-06-2004, 12:29 AM

Well Bisi has run a 9 with an F series so you should do one of them. PLEASE don't think you can do what L_E_G_E_N_D_S can...
Chuck are you talking about Bisi or yourself again you L_E_G_E_N_D you
Regards Dyno Dave

Phat_ciVic
26-06-2004, 11:25 AM
26 days till i get my license back

mo
26-06-2004, 11:46 AM
26 days till i get my license back

Oh and please enlighten us what the **** has it got to do with this thread?

ALLMTR
26-06-2004, 03:26 PM

Chuck are you talking about Bisi or yourself again you L_E_G_E_N_D you
Regards Dyno Dave

Bisi is da man. You talk to him and struggle to keep up. About half way through most conversations, I'm like, "Dude you've lost me. You've gone from inches of mercury to tangients of flow......"

There isn't a guy in this industry that knows as much or could do what he does...

EG5
26-06-2004, 05:25 PM
Bisi is the man..Never knew D series can go that fast down the 1/4 mile.

vtc
01-07-2004, 01:04 AM
um... I think the subject became sidetracked from the 2nd post turning it into a D vs B series debate. Can some one start listing some parts that would help to answer the question. Improving the D16Y engine...

EG5
01-07-2004, 02:54 PM
um... I think the subject became sidetracked from the 2nd post turning it into a D vs B series debate. Can some one start listing some parts that would help to answer the question. Improving the D16Y engine...

JG engine dynamics custom intake manifold
JG cam gears
JG throttle body
Adj fuel press regulator
Bisimoto or AN-R header ( hardcore)
Custom JG cams or try Kelford cams ( NZ)
etc

try Exospeed.com , Portflow.com , Bisimoto.com , AN-R.com

thats what i know from the top of my head :roll:

Ek_Civic
07-07-2004, 05:42 PM
way to go man.... with the d..... i have a d16y in a ek hatch....i have zorst, intake from front bar in stock air box and k&n filter in the box.....timing adjusted 3.5 degrees....... i m certainly happy with the gains and power i now have...... considering its only cost me about $600 for custom zorst.... airbox mods and filter and timing...... and i im putting a shit hot computer in it....... leaving it like that for the rest of the yr and early next year its getting supercharged..... see how a b series goes then...... coz when my car was stock its dead even with my mates vtir in a race from the lights.... the d series has more down low then the b series catches up in high....... so after seeing the difference in a race which wasnt anything iam not regreting keeping with the d series....

MRJDM
10-07-2004, 11:50 PM
if you really wanna build a D series motor contact dynoDave. he is on the forums. he is in the process of building a d series motor.