PDA

View Full Version : Airbag sensors - lap o' the gods?

Rubber
21-02-2007, 03:14 PM
Hey gang.

I ran up the bum of one of those friggin' vision-obstructing 4WD being driven by a total soft-on and although the collision was but a tap, my front bumper required replacement.

On its return I found the pop-up headlight washers were inoperative so I have an appointment to leave my car with the panel beaters for ANOTHER inconvenient day.

I got to thinking if these bozos have failed to connect hose 'A' to nozzle 'B' could they have potentially forgotten to ensure the airbags will deploy if I have the misfortune to be in a really nasty bingle? Is this something that can happen when working on the front bumper of a euro?

If the answer is 'yes, you are in danger' I will share with you the afore mentioned panel beater. :zip:

destrukshn
21-02-2007, 03:17 PM
Hey gang.

I ran up the bum of one of those friggin' vision-obstructing 4WD being driven by a total soft-on and although the collision was but a tap, my front bumper required replacement.

On its return I found the pop-up headlight washers were inoperative so I have an appointment to leave my car with the panel beaters for ANOTHER inconvenient day.

I got to thinking if these bozos have failed to connect hose 'A' to nozzle 'B' could they have potentially forgotten to ensure the airbags will deploy if I have the misfortune to be in a really nasty bingle? Is this something that can happen when working on the front bumper of a euro?

If the answer is 'yes, you are in danger' I will share with you the afore mentioned panel beater. :zip:
your srs light would of come on, i would assume, if one of your sensors were not connected.

EuroDude
21-02-2007, 03:20 PM
The impact sensors are not connected to the actual front bumper so I doubt they would have touched the SRS system. Was it just the bumper that was damaged?

Yep gotta love those friggin' vision-obstructing 4WD's, especially the drivers that never actually take them offroad

destrukshn
21-02-2007, 03:23 PM
The impact sensors are not connected to the actual front bumper so I doubt they would have touched the SRS system. Was it just the bumper that was damaged?

Yep gotta love those friggin' vision-obstructing 4WD's, especially the drivers that never actually take them offroad
yeah it's practically mounted at the end of the of the rails.
but, hey, you never know, would you?
lol

tony1234
21-02-2007, 03:27 PM
Yep gotta love those friggin' vision-obstructing 4WD's, especially the drivers that never actually take them offroad[/QUOTE]
Yeah,they're a bloody menace.:thumbdwn: :thumbdwn:

Rubber
21-02-2007, 03:34 PM
... those friggin' vision-obstructing 4WD's...

I have had 2 bingles in my career (touch wood) BOTH at less than 10kmph and BOTH with 4WD as a result of not being able to see more than ZERO cars ahead. A real danger in city traffic, where I spend 100% of my driving time.

Insurance companies need to look at the statistics and adjust premiums accordingly.

Tobster
21-02-2007, 05:01 PM
I had an issue after my car had been repaired where it turned out that the electronics hadn't been reinitiated properly -- with no indicattion on the dash.

If in doubt, ask your Honda dealer to check things over afterwards.

My dealer had to charge me for some work they did, and I was reimbursed by the insurance company.

With regards to your opinion of the 4WD owner -- no offence, but you ran up his butt; it's your responsibility to leave enough space...

Rubber
22-02-2007, 06:05 AM
... no offence, but you ran up his butt; it's your responsibility to leave enough space...

Oooooh, I understand now. I was wondering why my insurance asked me to fork out $400 excess. :rolleyes:

So you can't think of a situation where obscured vision is a part of the equation?? Your world must be pretty black and white. And lonely.

Tobster
22-02-2007, 08:47 AM
Accidents happen -- that's why they're called accidents, but your initial post sounded as if you blame him for the accident because he drives a 4WD.
Without knowing all the circumstances, if a 4WD in front of me is obscuring my vision, no, I don't see it as part of the equation. I wait for the 4WD to move so I can see, without getting agro and impatient. :)

Rubber
22-02-2007, 09:11 AM
... if a 4WD in front of me is obscuring my vision, no, I don't see it as part of the equation. I wait for the 4WD to move so I can see, without getting agro and impatient.

Your mum must be so proud.

martizzle
22-02-2007, 09:17 AM
have you tried filling up the washer reservoir i had the same problem, it washes the windscreen but the headlight washers dont pop up, i read somewhere that once the water level goes to 2ltrs or under these washers wont operate, the tank holds 5ltrs of water, try filling it.

Rubber
22-02-2007, 12:10 PM
have you tried filling up the washer reservoir... try filling it.

This may be the case, however after a $2k monkey-job you would think a tradesman (or his boss) would spend 30 seconds testing everything is operational. Or check the repaired/replaced hoses are bled properly.

Just checked, water full enough.

tony1234
22-02-2007, 02:19 PM
This may be the case, however after a $2k monkey-job you would think a tradesman (or his boss) would spend 30 seconds testing everything is operational. Or check the repaired/replaced hoses are bled properly.

Just checked, water full enough.
Thats the problem.They don't check.:(