PDA

View Full Version : Rattle noise from b18cR

zel05
21-02-2007, 06:24 PM
Hey there guys...

I just thought i would try and get to the bottom of this annoying rattle i have with my car.

It is an EG civic with b18cr conversion.

Anyway...when revving through the gears...i get this rattle noise...always between 2500 and 3000 rpm. Once above this...the rattling stops.

This has been the case ever since i have bought the car. However, more noticable now that i have no stereo...lol

One point i should mention...is that i have mugen headers...It might not seem like anything...but they do give the exhaust note a raspy tone up high...but thought they might have something to do with it?? Also have had suggested the cat might be out too?? I was underneath the car the other day also, and couldnt see how the heat sheild for the cat could be touching something either.

Last week it was starting to get pretty bad...I changed the oil on the weekend also. The noise is still there...but not as strong...and sometimes not existant at all...Under partiular loads.

I am hoping this isn't internal...But after having a real good look around...couldnt find anything that could pose a problem...Also the weird fact that i happens only between 2500 - 3000 rpm is a little weird also.

Any help and suggestions would be great. Any tips on how i can check if certain parts are in need of looking at would also be good.

Also, just quickly...After adding the oil on the weekend...i noticed that there is a slight oil smell from the exhaust...I dont want to admit it...but things could be bad? :(

fatboyz39
21-02-2007, 06:52 PM
spun bearing?

bennjamin
21-02-2007, 07:09 PM
it might be a slightly loose exhaust piece or something rattling at a specific level in vibration ~ which needs a tighten.
hopefully thats all it needs.
Open your engine bay while car is idling and SLOWLY rev the car and try to pin point the noise location

zel05
21-02-2007, 07:09 PM
spun bearing?

sorry...i could go google that...but could you explain to me what a spun bearing is...what the consequences of this is...symptoms and rectifications?

todas**t
21-02-2007, 07:30 PM
the cat heat shield???

zel05
21-02-2007, 07:42 PM
I was underneath the car the other day also, and couldnt see how the heat sheild for the cat could be touching something either.

hehe :cool:

Going outside now to see if it makes the noise whilst revving in neutral

zel05
21-02-2007, 07:56 PM
Doesn't make a noise whilst in neutral.

I can't think why...but should my exhaust smell a bit like oil after i just changed it (the oil that is)...I think not...Some related problem perhaps?

Benson
21-02-2007, 08:08 PM
its got nothing to do with the engine....

ur best bet is the exhaust. Check all bolts from headers down to b-pipe. Check the two bolts behind the block that connects the headers to the bracket on the block.

i had this problem before.

bennjamin
21-02-2007, 08:13 PM
Doesn't make a noise whilst in neutral.

I can't think why...but should my exhaust smell a bit like oil after i just changed it (the oil that is)...I think not...Some related problem perhaps?

the smell is probably oil that has leaked onto your 2-1 pipe after removing the oil filter (under the engine) and its burning off.
As said above ~ make sure all nuts n bolts in ur exhaust are tight. DO NOT OVER TIGHTEN BOLTS OR NUTS ON HEAD THEY WILL SNAP

zel05
21-02-2007, 08:16 PM
Thanks guys...will definately sus out all these bolts again on the weekend.

Is it a problem if i didn't change the oil filter...it was changed 5000k's ago...I was just changing oil atm as the old stuff was getting...old.

Which brings me back to why i can smell oil. I have used Motul 300v Chrono 10w-40

bennjamin
21-02-2007, 08:19 PM
you possibly overflled and the excess is getting burnt off ?

zel05
21-02-2007, 08:23 PM
could be a possibility...I drained the oil for an hour or so...And put in 4 litres. Dipstick showed that it was right on full (bottom side of top circle)

bennjamin
21-02-2007, 08:52 PM
the capacity of the B18c7 WITH oil filter change is 4.5 litres ( that is , after removing oil filter too)
Its possible you have over filled a tiny bit.
Get under neath and tap with a rubber mallet or wooden end of a hammer etc and find that loose bit !

zel05
21-02-2007, 08:55 PM
Will definately do that!!

Thanks heaps for all your help guys...I will update once i find the problem on the weekend!!!

kiwicuz
06-03-2007, 09:42 PM
Hey zel i encountered exazctly the same issue have you ruled out the alternator berrings i would check it with a stethascope or something.

Klayemore
07-03-2007, 07:46 AM
Definetely the exhaust - same thing happened in my CRX around that mark. No sound on idle either. I replaced it from catback and it stopped.