PDA

View Full Version : what to do? turbo or na

DA9B18C
22-02-2007, 10:40 AM
hey guys
i want bang for buck power, street use only.
either keep my stock b18a for 6 months and work (turbo) my external b18c.
i drive a 92 ls integra, stock on 17's.

i cant decide? what to do?
hit me up wit some ideas. cheers:p

m3ntAL_l2
22-02-2007, 10:43 AM
wot u doing after 6 months if u keep it nA??

DA9B18C
22-02-2007, 10:46 AM
wot u doing after 6 months if u keep it nA??
the external b18c is vtec, and the engine in the car now isnt.
if i dont do the swap now and wait 6 months, i can find a turbo kit.
see my trouble?

Q_ball
22-02-2007, 10:56 AM
Whats ur budget?

ennavoli
22-02-2007, 10:58 AM
Best bang for buck power is Turbo

6 months is a good time for you to either source a bolt on kit or customised parts.

No matter what you do to a NA engine ->change cams, change to high comp pistons, raise the compression, change ECU bla bla bla and tune till you are blue in the face, you still will not get the power a Turbo will give you.

Just don't over boost it, keep it to a reasonable bar level with a stock motor and you'll be fine.

Do you have plans to strengthen your internals of your motor when you boost?

Q_ball
22-02-2007, 11:19 AM
Please refer to the threads below as this has been covered many times!

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35514&highlight=turbo

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=49932&highlight=turbo

DLO01
22-02-2007, 12:06 PM
Bang for buck power, Turbo absolutly.

I perfer the feel of a NA car.
But for the same $ vs power...
I have decided to go the turbo route.
:thumbsup:

vtegra
22-02-2007, 12:57 PM
keep it na.. then ull have problems with turbo, i hear it all the time

Q_ball
22-02-2007, 12:59 PM

Thats only because people don't do it right.
If you got some good support, from both mechanics and actual parts, its a straightline dream!

DLO01
22-02-2007, 01:00 PM

Thats because the owner has skimped somewhere along the line. A quality setup and tune = no problems whatsoever.

locote
22-02-2007, 01:12 PM
B18c is limited to the boost it can run and power itll make...
Turbo ur current motor...
Some ppl have had good set ups that havent given them any probs..
I took my time and spent money and got my tuned properly but i still want happy with outcome,, so i took the turbo off...
end of the day its your call and that way if it dont work out u only got ur self to blame..

Q_ball
22-02-2007, 01:29 PM
B18c is limited to the boost it can run and power itll make...

How you mean?
A stock b18c7 motor was capable of reaching almost 1 bar boost, and 270ish kw atw!
So im curious to know wat u mean by limited...

.::F[L]Y::.
22-02-2007, 01:35 PM
turbo. i have had both NA and turbo engines in my DC2. As others have mentioned turbo can be reliable if you do it right and not stupid about it ( by that i mean chasing big boost)

The turbo setup i had was very reliable survived one track day and 2 road trips to qld. Still going strong.

ennavoli
22-02-2007, 02:35 PM
How you mean?
A stock b18c7 motor was capable of reaching almost 1 bar boost, and 270ish kw atw!
So im curious to know wat u mean by limited...

I agree, B18C7 is more than capable of boosting high.

The only B series motor that had an issue with boosting high was the B20 series, which had weak sleeves.

locote
22-02-2007, 02:44 PM
I mean, how long will this b18c7 last running this much boost..
No point arguein at the end of the day every motor is different...
Just cause some ppl have blow their motors up doesnt mean his will, and just cause some pl have made 200+ kw doesnt mean his wont make more..
Just turbo it if u want dud and see how it goes,, thats what i done and i didnt like it ...

RCS 20L
22-02-2007, 03:25 PM
Boost and Vtec.... what a feeling... ONce you pop you cant stop!!
To answer your question... bang for your buck go turbo.... Just be carefull who tunes the car... coz that will make or break you!!!

ECU-MAN
22-02-2007, 10:16 PM
just dont skimp on all the bits and peices, get a good t kit and boost controller. make sure its all properly installed, also make sure you get a compitent tuner. You dont want it to blow on the dyno or later on down the track due to a bad tune.

NSPYRE
22-02-2007, 11:08 PM
want bang for buck? go for a wet or direct port nitrous setup. tuned well and driven responsibly (ie; only engaging nitrous above 3,000rpm and only by WOT and never, ever, EVER hitting ur rev limiter) and kept to no more than an 80 shot (recommended 20 shot per cylinder)

shebangs
23-02-2007, 11:03 AM
Don't forget power delivery on a highly modified NA is very different to the less $$$, more power turbo.

It's whatever you want. I chose to stay NA, but appreciate the more I do to it, the harder it is to drive as a daily.

In my short list of mods, it's already a bit of a pig to drive in peak hour. And I cant see TODA Spec C and TODA Internals helping much either.

locote
23-02-2007, 03:08 PM
thats it ^^
But dont forget ur temperature will be higher with turbo..
And heat kills power.
With my experience the hotter the motor got the laggier it was..
Down the 1/4 the car was slightly quiker running 7psi to N/A
(13.9 F/I to 14.2 N/A)
On the streets at traffic lights or after too much thrashing and temp was getting up there, i would have got raped by a mildly worked N/A B18c..
Kiss all your bottom end power good bye with turbo, and traction too lol..
For me after my experience for daily use N/A vtec for the win...

Maybe a B18B with a turbo....
Q has done awsome times in his teggy..
I sure wished i had gotten a B18B instead when i had the turbo on!!!

shebangs
23-02-2007, 03:50 PM
Nothing wrong b18c internals with low boost though. Good for 130kw without any hassles, still traction and it'll still chop most other cars on the road. That's why god invented boost controllers :thumbsup:

It's whatever you want, NA or Boost. I have to admit though, nothing comes to to seeing a GTS-T owners face after chopping him in a NA DC2 though.

locote
23-02-2007, 03:56 PM
I know what u mean...

LOL..
Even better when its a stock looking EG civic, with 14s with original wheel covers and all..

PRIZELES