PDA

View Full Version : My Euro has a siren stuck in it.

BiLL|z0r
22-02-2007, 08:05 PM
Let me explain.
Randomly through the day my car will make a WHOOO sound for about 1/2 a second which sounds just like the start of a police siren. At first I thought it was the brakes making the noise as I only noticed it whilst stopped, but it's now done it at 100km/hr as well. This time it did it about 2 seconds after I turned the air con on. I don't know if that had anything to do with it or was just a coincidence. Ever since I think it's done it with the air con on after being turned off for some time(10mins+), but I might be only grasping at straws.
It's really random and might not even do it at all for 2-3 days.

Any ideas or should I check into the loony bin now?

aaronng
22-02-2007, 08:12 PM
It's probably your accessory belt slipping. The sound should happen when your A/C compressor kicks in.

Peekay34
22-02-2007, 08:13 PM
This happened on my old Corolla as well... so you are not loony....:p Not sure why it happens I think has something to do with pipes momentarily freezing around the air flow pipes which causes the sound as it only happened when the air con was very cold... Also as aarong suggest's could be youur belt but that is more a high pitched squeal... On my Corolla though was not the belt causing it was advised could be the cold..

albii
22-02-2007, 09:15 PM
Let me explain.
Randomly through the day my car will make a WHOOO sound for about 1/2 a second which sounds just like the start of a police siren. At first I thought it was the brakes making the noise as I only noticed it whilst stopped, but it's now done it at 100km/hr as well. This time it did it about 2 seconds after I turned the air con on. I don't know if that had anything to do with it or was just a coincidence. Ever since I think it's done it with the air con on after being turned off for some time(10mins+), but I might be only grasping at straws.
It's really random and might not even do it at all for 2-3 days.

Any ideas or should I check into the loony bin now?

got the same thing too...must get it looked at next service.

Gerald28
23-02-2007, 02:26 PM
i have the same problem too!!!

sometimes, its louder, and sometimes its more quiet.

When driving in city traffic, it tends to be a bit more of a problem, and the noise is louder and they go for a bit longer (about 1sec).

It also happens when driving on a highway, but it doesnt happen as often, and the noise isnt as loud.

I dont think, its associated with the A/C. Mine seems to be coming from the centre of the car.
The car makes the noise, on flat roads, uphill/downhill, moving, stationery, going fast/slow.

aaronng
23-02-2007, 02:33 PM
Evaporator outlet you reckon?

sendok
23-02-2007, 02:45 PM
Yeah my friend's car got the same problem.. it sound when the A/C kick in.. but when he check up to the doctor.. the doctor said there is no problem.. just a freeze piping.. :D

EuroDude
23-02-2007, 05:51 PM
I think my Euro has a similar issue.

When the car is semi-warmed up in the morning (quarter of the way up) and I slowly drive off, the car makes a whirring noise for a second when I engage the clutch in first gear and steer right.

The noise is quite loud and sounds like one of those party horn blower things:
http://www.supercoolstuff.com/items/birthday/pics/PGS535.jpg

The sound goes away after the first time.
Not sure if its the steering system or the clutch system..

BiLL|z0r
23-02-2007, 07:16 PM
i have the same problem too!!!

sometimes, its louder, and sometimes its more quiet.

When driving in city traffic, it tends to be a bit more of a problem, and the noise is louder and they go for a bit longer (about 1sec).

It also happens when driving on a highway, but it doesnt happen as often, and the noise isnt as loud.

I dont think, its associated with the A/C. Mine seems to be coming from the centre of the car.
The car makes the noise, on flat roads, uphill/downhill, moving, stationery, going fast/slow.

Yerp, sounds like it. Definately does it more in traffic than highway.

EuroDude
26-02-2007, 08:18 AM
Found out that my 6MT makes the whirring noise when the clutch is ridden when semi warmed up.
(usually I dont ride the clutch but when the clutch is ridden you can hear the noise longer, the noise can only be heard for half a second when the clutch is used normally)

Anyone else get this noise?

aaronng
26-02-2007, 08:28 AM
Found out that my 6MT makes the whirring noise when the clutch is ridden when semi warmed up.
(usually I dont ride the clutch but when the clutch is ridden you can hear the noise longer, the noise can only be heard for half a second when the clutch is used normally)

I don't ride the clutch, so I don't get to hear it. But I notice that the first time that I'm take off in 1st from a standstill in the morning, the clutch slip is rough. But after that 1st time, every subsequent take off from 1st is smooth. It's as if the clutch material or the flywheel face has some oxidation on it.

EuroDude
26-02-2007, 08:46 AM
^ Yeh I get the roughness 1st thing in the morning too. Hopefully the noise is just from overnight oxidization

tknova
01-03-2007, 07:09 AM

The clutches in the euro's seem to dry up which creates this noise.
This can be caused by the clutch overheating.
It's your spigget bearing that's running dry.
Once the clutch warms up and metal expands you rarly ever will hear the noise again if the bearing are just dry.
But if you have overheated the pressure plate you will get this noise when slipping the clutch even when it's warm.
It's hard to answer until the clutch is pulled down.

BraXta
01-03-2007, 05:35 PM
yeh i get this clutch noise too .. and it annoys the hell outta me... how could i get it fixed ??

it only happens on take off and if you tap pedal and then take off without riding cluth it does it...

Sumtimes mine does it even after the car has warmed up... its odd... but i tried gettin my honda to fix it .. and they claimed it aint warrenty so i got Depart of fair trading involved and the guy said it is... so i dunno what to do now...

Its a loud noise too and kinda embarassing when your in town go to take off and WRRRRRRRRR the clutch makes noises....

EuroDude
01-03-2007, 05:48 PM
Sounds like the same problem mine has except mine has never done it after warming up.

The thing is, its just a noise so it will be hard to get it fixed under warranty.

It could be happening because its very humid outside
Guess we need to gently drop the clutch to avoid it lol

G7G7
02-03-2007, 09:41 AM
I dont know- I think your talking about 2 different things here. AC and Clutch??

I know when i hit the AC it makes that werid aroooo!! sound. It does it occasionally- and definatly only when AC is on. Only when stopped also.

I have a AT.

Butso
02-03-2007, 10:55 AM
Could it be from grounding?

I use to get this whirring noise and it sounded like a turbo spooling up, when i installed a system. Found it it was poor grounding and made the speakers in the back whirr alot.

aaronng
02-03-2007, 12:09 PM
I dont know- I think your talking about 2 different things here. AC and Clutch??

I know when i hit the AC it makes that werid aroooo!! sound. It does it occasionally- and definatly only when AC is on. Only when stopped also.

I have a AT.

If you can come to the meet tonight, show off your aroooo!!

BraXta
02-03-2007, 01:56 PM
what meet tonight ?? =P

hehe where can i find out bout that ?

aaronng
02-03-2007, 02:19 PM
what meet tonight ?? =P

hehe where can i find out bout that ?

In the Upcoming Events section.

tron07
02-03-2007, 03:54 PM
I also like to hear the noises Euro makes..... the intake noise from Aaron's ghetto

tron07
02-03-2007, 03:56 PM
Could it be from grounding?

I use to get this whirring noise and it sounded like a turbo spooling up, when i installed a system. Found it it was poor grounding and made the speakers in the back whirr alot.

Comonly known as aeroplane sound... poor grounding and wiring of aftermarket sound system can cause that.

aaronng
02-03-2007, 04:48 PM
I also like to hear the noises Euro makes..... the intake noise from Aaron's ghetto

Come come, I'll show you my ghetto intake and ghetto grounding tonight. I just replaced the bent muffler to a scraped muffler. That's extra 3kW!

Omotesando
07-04-2007, 10:18 PM
I've got this noise too and it happens for only around 2-5 seconds at a time, randomly.

Don't think it only happens when I turn the Aircon on.
2ndly this is definitely not the clutch noise that other people are talking about.

It sounds like a more empty WHOOO kind of noise. Sounds like an axle is suddenly not lubricated enough but I don't think its this noise either, just trying to describe the annoying noise!

BiLL|z0r
08-04-2007, 07:34 AM
Mine has started doing even after the engin is turned off :(

Maybe it's air releasing from somewhere?

tony1234
09-04-2007, 06:06 PM

What yours is doing is the fuel vapours being released from the fuel tank into a canister which is then released into the intake manifold when the car is driven again.(i think!!!):zip:

BiLL|z0r
10-04-2007, 06:53 AM
Maybe but it's the same noise with engine on or off. It;s only done it twice when off but about 50 when stopped at lights/traffic etc.

tony1234
10-04-2007, 09:30 AM
Maybe but it's the same noise with engine on or off. It;s only done it twice when off but about 50 when stopped at lights/traffic etc.
Hmmm.If its doing it when you're driving/idling i doubt its what i said it was.Dont know.:confused:

EuroDude
10-04-2007, 09:41 AM

I think your noise is a different issue. The noise I hear only happens when I engage the clutch when the engine is on.

Are you sure its not the clutch pedal making a squeal when you push it in?
All you need to do is spray some Lithium/Silicon Grease in the Master Cylinder at the end of the clutch pedal.

BiLL|z0r
10-04-2007, 07:33 PM
Mine certainly isn't clutch as it's an Auto :)

EuroDude
11-04-2007, 08:53 AM
Mine certainly isn't clutch as it's an Auto :)

ROFL didnt notice that :p Perhaps its the AC belt or something.

haris2887
06-10-2015, 09:46 AM
Sorry to Bump an Old thread, But was wondering if anyone had answers. I also have a Wooooo sound under air conditioner. I have an automatic Cl9 as well.