PDA

View Full Version : Will my engine last with these mods

eg92b16a
23-02-2007, 07:05 AM
This is kind of a technical question about my B16A.
If I do the following mods to the engine and leave the rods and crank stock, how long will the engine last? I know it all depends on how I drive the car.

I've got: manifold + gasket, TB, headers, valve springs, retainers, pro1+ cams, cam gears, head gasket, S100 ECU.

Currently using 8200 RPM limit with above parts external parts (less cams etc). Engine has 200K on the clock. Will I end up detonating the engine if I rev it any harder than say 8800 RPM with all of the above mods? Or will the engine handle higher revs on an intermittent basis?

My questions because I don't have the extra 2K to get the bottom end done.

bennjamin
23-02-2007, 09:59 AM
I know it all depends on how I drive the car.

and how it is tuned
S100 ECU

[[d a n n y]]
23-02-2007, 10:04 AM
good tuning will get u there.

defect
23-02-2007, 11:44 AM
its all in the tune :D
keep hearing people say that

must mean something :)
hahaha

barefootbonzai
23-02-2007, 12:25 PM
should be fine. most people only mod the head anyways. After you're done, get a good tune, then it should good for beatings for a long time.

If you're looking for a tuner, DynoDave is your man! He comes to brisbane now and then.

aaronng
23-02-2007, 05:51 PM
are you actually still going to be in your powerband above 8200rpm??

pro1+ cams
Probably...

VT3C
23-02-2007, 06:05 PM
Currently using 8200 RPM limit with above parts external parts (less cams etc). Engine has 200K on the clock. Will I end up detonating the engine if I rev it any harder than say 8800 RPM with all of the above mods? Or will the engine handle higher revs on an intermittent basis?

I think the main issue here is will a standard B16A bottom end handle the occasional blast to 8800RPM (or as I need to know 9000RPM) ???

consider that the oil is good quality and changed frequently and the engine has been serviced frequently etc.

locote
23-02-2007, 06:35 PM
Why rev a stock motor that high for???
But as its been mentioned before all comes down to the tuner..
Tuner can make or break your motor and set its limitations.
I say speak with your tuner and tell him what u want...

eg92b16a
23-02-2007, 08:35 PM
Thanks guys. I know all this.
Dyno DAve will tune my car when he comes to brisbane again.
My question is: Will the stock rods and crank be able to handle the occasional rev to approx 8800 - 9000RPM??
I'm using castrol edge synthetic oil and replace every 5K (expensive)
I mainly do highway driving so the engine doesn't have that much stress, except when someone driving a skyline or silvia pulls up beside me.
I don't mean rev the stock motor that high, no need to, but when I put the cams in, will the stock internals cope ???

fatboyz39
24-02-2007, 06:41 PM
Honda engines are pretty reliable even with high kms on it. It all depends on the engine management and wat mods is done to the car. If u got mods, make sure u get an ECU to support the mods and a goodtuner. If its dead stock then it will last for a very long time even if u thrash the shit out of it.