PDA

View Full Version : iPod Options - CR-V

Louise
23-02-2007, 08:12 AM
I have a 2006 CR-V and am currently using a FM transmitter to listen to my Ipod. Although I'm not getting any static I'm looking for better sound quality and am wondering whether the current player can be adapted or whether I need to buy a new system.

Ideally I would like to keep my current car stereo so is there any was it can be adapted and have the auxiliary input added in?

Alternatively, I'm looking at buying an Ipod ready cd players (the plug and play ones) and was wondering if anyone knows what the quality is like with these. Also, if I go with this option, will I still have use of the steering wheel controls (not for using the iPod but other features of the stereo)

Any help would be appreciated as I'm new to all of this.

Bayani
25-02-2007, 02:34 AM
Andrew MacGregor
0414 268 318

He might be able to help ya.

JaCe
04-03-2007, 08:58 AM
It depends how far you want to go in terms of iPod integration.

The cheapest option would be to use the AUX input on your headunit (if it doesn't have it, there are a lot of people out there who can hook it up to stock OEM headunits at the back where an external CD stacker would be connected). This is essentially like using a headphones cable which joins your iPod to the car's sound system and will have good sound quality, but not offer you much else beyond that (ie. no charging, no iPod controls, etc..)

The next option up would be a fully integrated kit which uses the Dock connector on the iPod, and depending on your headunit/car-spec level, could mean playlist/track selection using HU controls as well as steering wheel buttons if your car has them. These tend to be quite costly and I investigated getting one done on my Civic06 for full control over the iPod and whatnot, and the price was looking at $350++ . One website I was looking at was http://www.thecarkitcompany.com.au/ ... but these guys seem pretty slack at replying (or not) to emails. Probably best to call them if interested.

However, in my opinion, unless your headunit is fully integrated (not sure whether the 06 CRV was fully integrated or not) and/or has certain features which are expensive (or not able) to obtain elsewhere (eg. integrated 6disc mp3 stacker; steering wheel controls, etc..), you might be better off getting a new headunit which supports iPod natively since it'll probably be cheaper in the long run (esp if you plan to upgrade sound system). The upside of this is a more 'well designed solution for better control, as well as the fact that these headunits tend to have built in mini-amplifiers allowing for future upgrades to sound system without requiring an amp (or line-out converters).