PDA

View Full Version : Tyre Wearing out from the inside

Menzy
23-02-2007, 11:27 AM
Hey everyone,
got a small problem and don't know where to hit my head but here :)

Car: Ek1 98, running on 15's with G3s all around, the car has been lowered from stock height to a low 3inch now with K-Mac springs on stock shocks.
everything else about the car is stock (suspension wise).

After I got the car lowered my right hand side tyres both front and rear are wearing on the inside (the front is really really bad rear isn't as much).
The left hand side tyres only the front is slightly wearing on the inside but the rear is perfect.
What can I do to fix it cause I don't want to spend another 300-400 on tyres and have the same problem :(

Now from my knowledge i need camber bolts to adjust camber, while others say I need to toe the tyres (no idea what that is) others said camber kit but they need to look at it and see how far the guard is from the tyre other wise I could rub into my guards (which may need guard rolling)

Now all i want is a clear picture of what i should be doing :( and what's good for me for what I have got.

Thanks in advanced.

Edit: I did re-alignment after I lowered it twice and the car tends to steer to the right when the steering wheel is off hands.

DLO01
23-02-2007, 11:49 AM
The joys of lowering a car.

If you have had a professional alignment done after you lowered her it should track straight on a level road period. Maybe these guys don't know what they are doing?

As you know as you lower your car your camber increases putting more pressure on the insides of the tyres, promoting inner tyre wear. You can usually counter your inner tyre wear by adjusting your Toe in, +ve. Your car maybe 'to low' to adjust out your inner tyre wear. If that is the case you will need a camber kit to reset this problem.

These are Skunk2 camber adjustable 'upper control arms' front and rear for the DC2.
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a265/DLO01/Misc/ResizeofIMG_9019.jpg

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a265/DLO01/Misc/ResizeofIMG_9034.jpg
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a265/DLO01/Misc/ResizeofIMG_9028.jpg

aaronng
23-02-2007, 03:25 PM
What are your camber specs?

Menzy
23-02-2007, 03:57 PM
Poid:
When people lower their car a wheel alignment is all that is needed ?
and are the Toes on Ek1 adjustable? (I don't need to buy anything)

Aaron:
No idea Aaron... how can I check it?

aaronng
23-02-2007, 04:03 PM
Aaron:
No idea Aaron... how can I check it?

Go to a tyre place and get an alignment check. Get them to print out the camber and toe on paper.

Menzy
23-02-2007, 04:35 PM
oh the report, ok
but from your perspective point of view what do you think i need done ?

aaronng
23-02-2007, 05:38 PM
oh the report, ok
but from your perspective point of view what do you think i need done ?
Stand in front of your car, slightly off to the side. If your front wheel is slanted in, V8 supercar style, then it is the excessive negative camber that is causing wear on the inside. Otherwise, it is the toe.