PDA

View Full Version : Can you Bridge your head unit??????

shehan
18-06-2004, 08:51 PM
Hey guys i am installing a sound system in my car... i have a 4 channel amp to run my sub and front splits but do not have a second amp yet.. so what i plan to do is bridge my 4 X 45W head unit to run two rear 6.5".. is this possible ..or am i gonna end up blowing up my head unit... any advice?

McChook
18-06-2004, 08:52 PM
Just run the speakers straight off the headunit.. not really bridging....

shehan
18-06-2004, 09:58 PM
thanks Mcchook

McChook
18-06-2004, 10:22 PM
Sorry it isn;t explained any better... I am no expert, and my audio techno-speak is crap.....

wynode
18-06-2004, 10:31 PM
Yes..........just run the 2 channels for the rears.

shehan
18-06-2004, 10:42 PM
Yeah sounds like a good idea ... NOW all i need is someone to hurry up and finish exams so that they can help me install it...... :D

wynode
18-06-2004, 10:45 PM
LOL

micka
19-06-2004, 12:03 AM
there are some heads that you can bridge, can't remember specific models off the top of my head but they do exist. i'm sure this isn't what you meant, but the whole bridging of heads isn't as silly as some would think

SIKCVC
19-06-2004, 12:22 AM
As above, check if it can be done because if you bridge your front and rear outputs on your HU it can sound cronic, and remember you lose any decent fade. We tryed it on my friends car and we ended up fadeing it to the front and using the front channels only (lazy cvnt couldn't be farked serperating the channels)

shehan
19-06-2004, 08:52 PM
Thanks all for the advice... looks like ill just be running the speakers of two channels not four or if i can save up a bit .. buy another amp to power the sub and run the splits and 6" off my existing amp

4thGenExi
20-06-2004, 04:17 PM
Umm....technically it would be possible to bridge a HU but why would you? The highest powered ones can only produce about 15w RMS per channel. Only thing you'd gain would be 5w more plus a heap of distortion.

Javed
20-06-2004, 05:03 PM
do NOT bridge your head unit. Soon enough you will see why if you do. sizzle.

poid
20-06-2004, 06:09 PM
Onlly specific headunits can be bridged (like some Pioneer ones). If you try and bridge one that doesnt have this feature, you will do some damage.

And yeh, bridging the Pioneer ones that are meant to be bridged gives about 5-10WRMS maximum and are certainly not powerful enough to run a sub (like they are meant for) :)

Psyklops
22-06-2004, 02:14 PM
I had this idea once but never proceded due to lack of knowledge regarding the guts of h/units, and the balls to try it out....of course worried that the unit would fry....the idea I had was that if you have external amps driving the front & rears...then why not install a front CENTER channel using say the negative right and the left positive front h/unit speaker outputs....then insulating the two remaining wires as they would not be used....I have a car audio book that has schematics for fabricating a crossover for center channels in cars....I was thinking my potentially dodgy/dangerous/destructive method could be an easy way out....anyone care to try it on a head unit they don't care about?