PDA

View Full Version : Chattery Engine

Javed
19-06-2004, 12:41 PM
Hi guys,

Well to ut to the short of it, my engine is chatty. The last service i had was a major one and i askedm y mechanic to adjust the tappets, and he did and it only quietened the noise a bit. (But to be honest im not sure of this mechanics ability with honda, he is damn good with everything, did my driveshaft and timing belt and all fine). So im thinking maybe i have piston slap? Or maybe im focusing too much on the noise, i really dont know. IT seems to be loudest around 3000 rpm, and gets faster as i increase the rpm's. If i opened my window whilst driving i cannot hear it (just to give you a sense of how loud, but i do have an exhaust so that probably overrules it). I know all hondas are chattery but im just getting a tad worried. My car is a late 93' gsi, and has done 140 k. Thanks guys!

Javed

ECU-MAN
19-06-2004, 04:30 PM
when your mechanic adjusted the tappets was the engine stone cold.???? Honda engines are notorious for noise, but they still drive and Idle smooth as.. the best test for piston slap would be with a cold engine, start it up and listen then. it would sound a bit like a diesel engine.. I don't think you should worry too much as most Honda engines in there 100k age tend to be a little noisy, just as long as it seems normal to drive power wise.. you should hear a NSX idling they clack tap and so on till you bring up the revs a little then its a sweet sound of fine Japanese Engineering....

Javed
19-06-2004, 05:01 PM
Ok mate, thanks, that reassures me :D also, just had a listen of the parents B20 (CRV) and it seems noisy too and its like only 40k. So i guess it is just a honda thing? My cousins BB6 H22A is also chatty. I think mine is louder than the other, but as you said with the age it seems normal. If it was piston slap, what are the effects, both sort and long term?

Thanks heaps :)

civicboy
19-06-2004, 11:58 PM
if u want just get it re-build ;)

bennjamin
20-06-2004, 12:20 AM
All you should need is the valves clearence adjusted :) - a perfectly normal thing as ECUMAN said - is noisy tappets/injectors over time.

While your getting the adjustment - ask ur mechanic to do a compression test too to check every cylinder is fine too :)