PDA

View Full Version : ARC Airbox

Civic Si
19-06-2004, 01:16 PM
Are the ARC airbox really worth the money? Does neone know how much power that an EK/EM Civic ARC Box makes on a dyno?

SPEEDCORE
19-06-2004, 02:25 PM
If anyone can answer the above question I will give them $100 ;)

Dude how much power aftermarket parts make to a car is all relative and varies from condition of engine, to other mods, to the air temp that day. Even the weight and size of wheels can show discreptancies on dyno figures.

As for the ARC airbox...... my opinion is that it is great if you are chasing numbers on the dyno with an open bonnet and the fan blowing.

If you are after consistancy in the production of power when circuit racing, forget it, when the engine bay heats up with a closed bonnet your just sucking hot air, yes even with such high speeds blowing air on the front of the car.

But hey..... whatever rocks your world man....... most people's argument for the ARC box is that the sound RoXoR and think that increase in sound is and increase in power. :roll:

VTEC16
19-06-2004, 02:31 PM
I dont think you are being completely fair.

The ARC box has two very large filters on it - it has a chamber in the piping as well.... I would imagine that there is very little restriction through that intake. At the same time - yes - it would suck in hot air, but one could fabricate some sort of cold air induction for the filters, and hence improve the intake temps (obviously not to the degree of a CAI).

MTX BOY
19-06-2004, 02:31 PM
If anyone can answer the above question I will give them $100

Dude how much power aftermarket parts make to a car is all relative and varies from condition of engine, to other mods, to the air temp that day. Even the weight and size of wheels can show discreptancies on dyno figures.

As for the ARC airbox...... my opinion is that it is great if you are chasing numbers on the dyno with an open bonnet and the fan blowing.

If you are after consistancy in the production of power when circuit racing, forget it, when the engine bay heats up with a closed bonnet your just sucking hot air, yes even with such high speeds blowing air on the front of the car.

But hey..... whatever rocks your world man....... most people's argument for the ARC box is that the sound RoXoR and think that increase in sound is and increase in power.

Well answered Speedcore.

SPEEDCORE
19-06-2004, 02:34 PM
2 filters???? WTF????

SIKCVC
19-06-2004, 02:47 PM
Whats the ARC Airbox look like? I was under the impression it was just an aftermarted CAI.

Personally a decent pod, CAI enclosure and mandrel bent alloy intake. Saw road gains with that.

SP0017
19-06-2004, 04:43 PM
There are 2 filters for the box for EK civics. For the EG it was only one filter.

mo
19-06-2004, 04:55 PM
Are the ARC airbox really worth the money? Does neone know how much power that an EK/EM Civic ARC Box makes on a dyno?

will just a airbox modification give any gains at all? I know for sure the butt dyno will give some gains :P

A'PEXi
19-06-2004, 05:01 PM
if were talking like around 1k for an airbox, no i dont think its worth it.

SPEEDCORE
19-06-2004, 05:08 PM
Of the OEM box...... I'm sure there would be..... then again it could be easy to stuff it up.

I think what people need to realise (and not a dig at anyone) is that in engines like that from honda the stock intake systems are quite good and highly tuned from the factory.

However in saying this, you have to also understand that although it is highly tuned, it is also been tuned with reduction of resonance in mind so for performance.... it is good... but not optimal.

I'm sure people on these forums that are chasing performance could care less if there is an increase in induction roar. :P

Best thing to do is read, look and compare different products that are out there and forget about all the BS that you read on the net and make your own conclusions with reference to what you are trying to acheive with the car..... street, track, strip, RICEATHON..... I mean Autosalon ;)

Kit
19-06-2004, 05:13 PM
ARC airbox, have any of you actually used one before? or you all just speculating? :roll:

i think they are a top piece of work, they don't suck in hot air, thats why they are called an ARC cold air box, they rely on the vacuum effect created behind the headlight to draw cold air.

they are better than going to a pod cos it actually has greater internal volume than the stock airbox and also a heap greater volume than a pod, resulting in greater throttle response.

it doesnt look as FOOLY SHICK as a pod but i'll take performance over looks anyday. it also wont have as much induction noise as a pod (not as loud).

people always forget that NA tuning is a fine art, just whacking on a pod won't always give greater performance, as flow isnt the only factor in NA intake tuning.

for $700 for a brand new one, I wouldnt buy it, but if you look around there are some second hand ones for around $200 or less, and i think thats a great buy.

Chris

p.s. I am using an ARC air box, and have compared it to pods and all the rest. however not on a civic.

Kit
19-06-2004, 05:16 PM

I would argue the opposite,
I believe an ARC box would give greatest consistancy on the track, especially in the mid high rpm range where it matters the most, where as a pod will only be good in the high rpm range.

SPEEDCORE
19-06-2004, 05:25 PM
Who ever said I like pods??

Modded OEM 4 life!

I agree with the throttle response quality of the ARC box though.... but that just goes to show what an increase in volume immediately available does.

Kit
20-06-2004, 01:01 AM
Who ever said I like pods??

Modded OEM 4 life!

I agree with the throttle response quality of the ARC box though.... but that just goes to show what an increase in volume immediately available does.

yes, one of the best budget intake mods is to swap out the stock paper panel filter for a higher flowing one, then remove the stock resonator and place a cold air feed into the air box. Or cut the stock resonator U pipe in half so that air feeds into it from the area vacated by the removed resonator.

mate, from your above posts, its obvious that you haven't used an ARC box before, so why do you make the comment that its not good?

**Ghost**
20-06-2004, 04:29 PM
hahaha if u guys can wait 2 weeks till my exams are done i'll asnwer u... i STILL havent bloody installed it yet...

but yeh its 2 filters... u EXPOSED panel (foam) filters one on bottom, on on top... the bottom one feeds from the stock EK pipe that comes from unde rthe car, the top one feed sbehind the headlight...

bennjamin
20-06-2004, 04:43 PM

No one has answered the mans questions....so before this becomes another slanted spam thread -

The ARC airbox isnt worth full-price cost. A OEM airbox with high-flow airfilter, and direct ram tube will have a very similar, if not same/better gain. And at almost 1/10th the price !!!

Upon a dyno - this would more than likely yield somehwere from 1-2kw at the wheels.

But...thats just a number.

SP0017
20-06-2004, 04:58 PM
I've used an ARC airbox before on my EK. throttle response was much better compared to a stock box or open pod.

I dynoed my car, then i swapped the box for an open pod and dynoed it again.

Power atw was exactly the same.

Drove home with the pod, response was not as good as the ARC box

So the ARC airbox is not worth its price brand new IMHO.

But if you get a good deal, buy it. But make sure you get the ARC intake arm too and not just the box.

LatinoHatchCrap
20-06-2004, 08:04 PM
I went from EG6 airbox to a pod filter. Felt a loss in response but definetly felt a gain up top.