PDA

View Full Version : exhausts system...

gbang007
26-02-2007, 11:18 PM
ok, i have read the stickys but need a bit more info...i kinda dont understand the needs for replacing the exhaust system...

another member is selling:
Buddy club spec III for Sedan! EJ8, EM1 and EK1 (Sedan) Very Good Condition! Slight muffler and resonator scraping, nothing too major!

would i only be getting the resonator? i probably want to get a new header aswell i think....or would i have to? i want to improve the sound and performance is an added bonus. would i need a new catalytic converter? can someone give me a few more pointers when looking at getting an exhaust system.....

gbang007
26-02-2007, 11:27 PM
i have en ek1 gli....would it really be worth spending the extra $1200 or so on a header on such a slow car? besides power gain.....would it do anything else?

vinnY
26-02-2007, 11:30 PM
probably a better idea to save up for a conversion than drop $1.2g's on an exhaust thats going to get you a few kw if any at all

simbadda54
26-02-2007, 11:34 PM
u can get headers for like 350 brand new. Also that exaust is pretty loud

Zdster
27-02-2007, 08:08 AM
As others have said, the exhaust is not going to give you major power increases due to the engine.

The exhaust that is being sold sounds like a catback from the description (so would be the b-pipe, resonator, muffler and tip).

If you are simply after a sound difference (and want the muffler tip to look a little different) just stick with a muffler, as it will save you a whole heap. If you have the cash and dont mind doing it, then upgrade the whole system. If you going to the effort of getting headers and a catback system then personally I would upgrade your cat at the same time.

aaronng
27-02-2007, 08:10 AM
i have en ek1 gli....would it really be worth spending the extra $1200 or so on a header on such a slow car? besides power gain.....would it do anything else?

For that amount of money + the price of the exhaust, you're better off dropping in a b16a into your car... Unless there was a reason that you want to stick to the D-series.

gbang007
27-02-2007, 01:23 PM
i dont really want to get into engine swaps as i think it will become too expensive.......i thought it would go up to 10grand to get it all done and legal etc.....for a decent exhaust system....mid to high range.......what is a rough price guide....one with headers and without headers.....? $1000-$1500? because if all headers do is give you more power because of better air flow etc.....i might go without the headers as if they are in the high hundreds with very little effect other than increase in slight power....its not worth it for such a slow car already.....

aaronng
27-02-2007, 03:50 PM
i dont really want to get into engine swaps as i think it will become too expensive.......i thought it would go up to 10grand to get it all done and legal etc.....for a decent exhaust system....mid to high range.......what is a rough price guide....one with headers and without headers.....? $1000-$1500? because if all headers do is give you more power because of better air flow etc.....i might go without the headers as if they are in the high hundreds with very little effect other than increase in slight power....its not worth it for such a slow car already.....

You can spend say $5000 on headers and exhaust, and all you'll get in the end at most is roughly 10kW. The D series is not a good breathing engine at high RPM unless it has forced induction.

silver_screen
27-02-2007, 04:23 PM
or carby ;) for some strange reason.. mine loves to rev :D

aaronng
27-02-2007, 04:38 PM
or carby ;) for some strange reason.. mine loves to rev :D

It will rev for sure. But the gains from mods will be less as the limiting factor is in the smaller valves, TB, intake manifold and head flow.

gbang007
27-02-2007, 05:08 PM
You can spend say $5000 on headers and exhaust, and all you'll get in the end at most is roughly 10kW. The D series is not a good breathing engine at high RPM unless it has forced induction.so then would it just be best to get a cat back system?

aaronng
27-02-2007, 05:10 PM
so then would it just be best to get a cat back system?
It'll only be for sound. Headers will help with response and give you a little power. But don't expect BIG gains.

crx51
27-02-2007, 05:18 PM
Gday mate, at the end of the day its your money and your decision. From what you are saying though you arent really interested in a couple of percent power gain at all and are really only after sound. In that case in the same position id just go a cat back. Just personal preference but i have something against tacking a muffler on the back of standard exhaust. I would say dont even worry about going brand names just for sound, id go to a reputable exhaust shop. That way you can tell them the sound you are after and if its wrong a lot of shops will simply change the muffler for you. Headers will give you a couple of percent but will set you back a bit. A custom press bent steel exhaust probably wont cost more than 220dollars and will get you a nice noise. All that extra money you could spend on full stainless and headers and cat and everything will make some difference to noise but mostly just bump up your power in small increments. Seeing you are after noise, just go a catback then if you decide you want more later you can add it. A lot of people get headers and dont even like the noise of them anyway. Let us all know what way you end up heading..

czy_sol87
27-02-2007, 06:13 PM
^^yep i would just go to an exhaust shop as well, will cost u a hole heap less
as aaronng said cat backs wont gain u much power so it probly a waste of money to be spending that much on a full s/s "brand named" system
were u could spend half the money from an exhaust shop and get decent gains for what u've paid.
+ the buddy club exhaust are really really really load, and u'll most likely cop a defect for it

gbang007
27-02-2007, 10:50 PM
^^yep i would just go to an exhaust shop as well, will cost u a hole heap less
as aaronng said cat backs wont gain u much power so it probly a waste of money to be spending that much on a full s/s "brand named" system
were u could spend half the money from an exhaust shop and get decent gains for what u've paid.
+ the buddy club exhaust are really really really load, and u'll most likely cop a defect for it

well i am looking at getting a cat back system.......so you mean there wont be much difference between a brand name and no name system from what i am after?

crx51
27-02-2007, 11:04 PM
well i am looking at getting a cat back system.......so you mean there wont be much difference between a brand name and no name system from what i am after?

Very little mate. Some things are hard to comment on but some things are fact. Every exhaust sounds different. Different mufflers sound different. Steel sounds different to stainless. But for what you have said you want i would recommend a no name cat back specially made up to your car and requirements.
Exhaust from exhaust shop you can get a steel press bend as i said for no more than 250dollars, and it should do everything you've asked. Also they can put on whatever style and sounding muffler you are interested in. A brand name cat back may liberate 'some' extra power but it would barely be shown even by dyno and you would pretty well never feel that difference. The brand name one will last longer as it is stainless in almost all cases so isnt susceptible to rust where steel is. Though you probably wont have your car in 5 or 6 years anyway so i doubt you'll encounter a problem. Now what i have said is tailored to what you have said in your posts. If you'd said you have grand plans for your dseries motor to make it put out some big figures and you wanted to spend big dollars then i'd recommend fujitsubo or buddy club or any other brand name exhaust etc. . but by the way you wrote your post you are mainly after sound and i think that you would be far better going for an exhaust shop. Just go to a good one. Its just if you arent going to spend lots of money then, as you said, you arent going to notice any real gains in power in an exhaust anyway. And as ive said, at least if you change your mind later then you've spent very little money. Sorry if ive repeated myself but im exhausted atm....
scott

Limbo
03-03-2007, 12:07 AM
agree with above, the brand names are to gain max performance, you'll still see good gains on decent non-branded items. Just rem don't go too cheap, you get what you pay for in the end. Most good exhaust shops will be able to help you with a choice and give you the comparisons

dupac->
04-03-2007, 11:05 PM
well i got the buddy club spec III but for ek4
its pretty loud dude,
and not cheap either..

and i think its abit much to go onto ur ek sedan.. u want a diff note wit ur exhaust just go to an exhaust place and get a muffler/canon..
really not worth doing the FULL exhaust system on the ek sedan as it wouldnt do much in power gain n response. liek everyone else is saying that amount of money can be spent better on something else conversion etc..

goodluck :thumbsup: