PDA

View Full Version : Integra VTi-R or 180sx

jeckt
27-02-2007, 08:21 AM
first off i just wanna make this clear that this is not a vs thread it's just a thread talking about the pros and cons of both cars

i'm getting a car at the end of this year and i'm just currently doing researching on the car i'd be getting and right now i'm really confused about which car to get.

should i get a 180sx or a integra...i know it's my choice but if people would like to inform me on both cars pros and cons it'll probably make my decision easy

thanks!!

teaseR
27-02-2007, 08:59 AM
posting on a Honda forum it is obviously gonna be integra ftw!!!

SiReal
27-02-2007, 09:07 AM
Imo, both cars are great cars. both cars are well made, both cars have great power, just buy both ;)

hehe.. FF cars have greater stability around corners. The integra, you'd have to rev it to get power.

180sx, pretty simple design - RWD, with great potential for extracting hgue amounts of power, but also huge amounts of traction loss. hehe.

I would go with the Integra. Not purely because of power, but also NA (cheaper to insure), AUS delivered (cheaper to insure + usually full service history), if not overly modified - less cop magnet.

HarryS
27-02-2007, 09:14 AM
180sx over a VTIR.:p

IZY-10
27-02-2007, 10:28 AM
integra for handling, 180 for power take your pick

SINISTR
27-02-2007, 11:16 AM
Two completly different cars with different looks, power and handling characteristics.
You have to decide before you get it what you want to do with the car - in terms of mods, both external and internal and engine.

Are you likely to want LOADS of power? will you want to take it to the track or drift?
180 is easy to modify being turbo out of the factory, you put a bigger turbo on, do some Ecu mods and you get kw more power for cheap $. Good base for drifts definatelly.
Integra is on the other side, being FWD it is a good base for a time attack track car, a little harder to get power out of in terms of cost vs power but the benefit of the car is that its very responsive engine wise and handles quiet brilliantly (DC2 or DC5).

Also look at insurance - what will be cheaper or expensive to insure.

[ricer]
27-02-2007, 11:24 AM
180 type x > dc2

GReY_CVC
27-02-2007, 11:30 AM
If you can find a reliable one !!! get the 180........

jeckt
27-02-2007, 11:39 AM
Imo, both cars are great cars. both cars are well made, both cars have great power, just buy both ;)

hehe.. FF cars have greater stability around corners. The integra, you'd have to rev it to get power.

180sx, pretty simple design - RWD, with great potential for extracting hgue amounts of power, but also huge amounts of traction loss. hehe.

I would go with the Integra. Not purely because of power, but also NA (cheaper to insure), AUS delivered (cheaper to insure + usually full service history), if not overly modified - less cop magnet.

lol that's what i'm thinking of doing in the long run xD get them both but right now i can only have one haha btw the 180sx if i'm getting it will be non turbo since i'm still P plater > <

more opinions and views welcomed!! thanks

Mst_Mugen
27-02-2007, 11:47 AM
hey... get which one u recon looks better... in the end... there is not much point in having a car that u dont really appreciate astheticly...

Brash22
27-02-2007, 12:04 PM
They're two totally different cars, so it depends on what you want to do.

The RPS13 chassis is nasty come wet weather, and I would only call it capable in the dry. Especially with the turbo variant, they are known to slip the back end out almost at random. Which is fine if you're into power oversteer...

The DC2 chassis (as FF usually are) is biased towards neutral handling. And through your favourite twisty bits, should be far quicker than a tail happy 180.

With all the 180SXs in this country being grey imports, insurance becomes a major issue, as will resale value. ALso, be prepared for some Police harrassment, as there are a fair portion of 180 drivers who are not well behaved, and as a result any 180 with an exhaust or after market wheels will be a target; especially if you're hanging a P plate in the windows.

While there are probably just as many missbehaving DC2 drivers, it's not as well publicised for whatever reason, so a DC2 will not create attention "just cos."

Personally, I wouldn't go near a 180 with a ten foot pole, DC2 all the way; but it's your money and your decision.

racinghonda
27-02-2007, 12:12 PM
I think the DC2 would be more refined and comfortable on a day to day basis and if you are an agressive driver and young, you will live longer owning a DC2.

sydteg21
27-02-2007, 12:27 PM
get dc2 first , if you don;t like it , then sell it and get a 180

stephen8512
27-02-2007, 12:49 PM
depending on which 180 u get, try and get the later models, i.e 95 and onwards. AFAIK, the 95 models on up have SRS driver airbag and would be peace of mind because even if you get a 97 type X model, essentially the car is still 10 years old. you dont want to get a 89 CD18DET 180, which would be closing in on its 18th birthday.

As you said, there are pro's and cons for both, as with any car. Depends on what you use it for. The 180SX is a very versatile car depending on what you want to use it for with the power to back it up, whereas the DC2 is basically the "watered down" version of the DC2R, with some things missing here (e.g no recaros, 4 lug, B18C2 which has a slightly lower compression than the R, which means less power, etc)

PROS and CONS for both cars. (this is how I see it. although diff pple might say otherwise)

PROS FOR 180SX

- venerable SR20 engine
- its quick in straight line
- FR Layout
- Turbo from factory which can be easily upgraded to a bigger one to pump big numbers
- versatile car (drifter, drag, track car)
- plethora of mods available to choose from
- very good aftermarket support
- bang for ur buck in terms of mods

CONS FOR 180SX

- 5-0 magnet... still is
- theft rate
- have to control ur foot from gettin too acceleration happy
- insurance rate high for under 25's, and for some circumstances, over 25's too
- known to have weak gearboxes
- will drink more petrol than the DC2 overall
- New P Plate law stating no turbo cars puts a dampener on this as well

PROS FOR DC2

- its a Honda, so build quality will be good
- versatile in terms of track and street use and as a daily driver
- direct bolt on parts from DC2R.
- wont be AS much of a drinker of petrol compared to the 180, but also depends how u drive. average mileage will be lower im assuming for the DC2
- good quality mods from MUGEN and also SPOON
- resale value holds its own

CONS FOR DC2

- FF layout (although this can be regarded as a pro for some)
- VTEC no match for the turbo in terms of power
- its an NA and any NA car is hard to modify to pump out big numbers
- expensive in terms of modding compared to 180 (e.g spoon and mugen mods are not cheap)
- need deep pockets to make the DC2 quicker than the 180SX in terms of straight line and relative quickness
- not as much "bang for ur buck" compared to the 180SX
- if you put the same amt of engine mods to a 180SX that u put on a DC2, u'd get more bang for ur buck on the 180SX

for me personally, i would like to get the 180SX, but only the later TYPE X model.

misteR_bilzz
27-02-2007, 12:52 PM
180s are nice cars but If itll be non turbo id go the dc2, no point in having a rwd non turbo nissan..

27-02-2007, 12:55 PM
I had a 180sx so...

180sx alot of them look shit , so you have to choose the right wheels etc.. otherwise it will look YUCK. When done right they look hot.

Be very careful in the wet, when you go around round-a-bouts you must go veryyyyyyyy slow.

Insurance got quoted around $6000 per year from just car, but i was 17yrs old.

Parts sometimes very hard to find depending on what you need, but for certain things you will find parts instantly.

Do Cops give you shit....hrmm got pulled over for a few stupid reasons a couple of times such as being on the phone WHEN I WASNT (it was in my pocket wtf)

Pretty fast, easy powerup.

You can drift if you ever get into it.

Becareful when purchasing as some have unsuspected chassis damage etc..
(damn drifters)

They are currently in fashion

If you make yours look hot, you will look better than 95% of other 180sx's you might see on the road.

Petrol can go downnnnnn.

Alot of dickheads drive 180's because you can buy them cheap.

Dont let people who have not experienced rwd turbo drive your car especially in the wet, they WILL smash it.

string
27-02-2007, 05:44 PM
hey... get which one u recon looks better... in the end... there is not much point in having a car that u dont really appreciate astheticly...

It's hard to enjoy external aesthetics from the driver's seat. Who buys a car based entirely how it will look in the driveway or carpark. An idiot?

The best option is just to drive both and see which one you like more. Then obviously take into consideration other factors which may be relevant. For example: fuel consumption is only relevant if you really care about a few extra dollars a week. However insurance is definitely a big factor.

If you are tossing up between two cars, you CANNOT make a decision until you have driven both cars. So go drive them then come back with your opinion.

.::F[L]Y::.
27-02-2007, 05:56 PM
just buy a dc2r.

45SET
27-02-2007, 06:14 PM
VTi-R is nothing compared to a 180... its only half a Type R..... my asnwer would be type R or nothing.

jords
27-02-2007, 06:53 PM
Y::.;1083214']just buy a dc2r.

I agree with you john

Zilli
27-02-2007, 06:56 PM
i really dont like the interior off th 180, and the exterior can look really bland and boring without a subtle kit, but you cant look past the fact that its a rwd, with a very flexible engine with HEAPS of aftermarket support and versatility

doesnt have the build quality of a honda though

.::F[L]Y::.
27-02-2007, 07:12 PM
i really dont like the interior off th 180, and the exterior can look really bland and boring without a subtle kit, but you cant look past the fact that its a rwd, with a very flexible engine with HEAPS of aftermarket support and versatility

doesnt have the build quality of a honda though

if you think abt it. if you buy either a 180sx or vtir by then time u finish making both cars look decent and go quick enough either in a straight line or around the track you would have been able to purchase a dc2r.

nissans have always been known for the ease of power gains with little money involved. But if you look at it as an overall car the interior is very poor imo. Also the standard sussy on those 180sx are appauling.

vtir integra- whats the point of buying a vtir integra? if you have enough money then go straight for the dc2r cus in the end your gona end up wanting to mod the vtir engine wise and interior wise.

personally both cars that you have mentioned are good cars but something that you will easily get bored of.

TheSaint
27-02-2007, 07:12 PM
i faced the same decision... i was going to choose between the dc2 and a 180sx or a 200sx...

i started with the dc2 as a sensible balance of fuel economy, insurance, refinement, reliability, less attention... and i am going to maybe move onto a stronger nissan like a s15 slvia or such... NOT ANY MORE i am completly in love with hondas refinement, handeling, sound and performance... especially vtec =)

if you do get a 180sx only get one with a SR20det in it, if u want non-turbo... dont even bother looking at nissan as honda's with vtec (such as the dc2 with its mighty b18c) are much more fun NA cars to play with =)

my freind just bought a s13 silvia with a sr20det making 440HP and we actually have more fun in my stock dc2 vti-r, for the fact that it has USABLE power and vtec is surprisingly fun, especially for turbo drivers who arnt use to it... he took a love to it from the 1st time he heard it engage =)

as for vti-r vs type-r.... i decided on vti-r because i didnt have funds straight up... found a clean one stock... and want to mod it/build it up on my own, not have it all done for me... although the dc2-r is an awsome car!! =)

string
27-02-2007, 07:18 PM
S13 interior makes a man cry. If you can handle it, and the awful sound of the SR engine, then you're gold.

jeckt
27-02-2007, 08:30 PM
thanks stephen8512!! that's what i've been looking for - and for the answers of getting a non-turbo 180sx it's because i can't get a turbo one yet - as soon as i have my full license i would be switching to 97+ type x 180sx

but as a first car - still don't know which one to get, but as some have said i'll drive both to see what i like about each then come back here to post my views

HarryS
27-02-2007, 08:58 PM
the 180sx can be set up for track and will blow the vtir out the window.

nissan also has a great build quality.

i currently drive a honda and its great but if i want alot more power then i would go the 180.

what plans do you have for your next car?

jeckt
27-02-2007, 09:06 PM
a car where i can improve my skills plus i wanna know how to drift too that's what leans me more to the 180sx but from what i heard the handling is horrible in wet weather

while the integra, i've liked for so long plus with this forum support i have if i get a integra - they just interest me greatly and gotta love the vtec

HarryS
27-02-2007, 09:36 PM
the 180 in rain is fine, just learn about the car and its behavior. i used to have an s15, at the start, i hated the rain, but you just have to drive sensibly and carefully and you will be fine, if your mature enough, then you will know when to have fun and know when not to.

|N|
27-02-2007, 10:00 PM
if u cant have a turbo car as yet .. y not start with dc2 now.. and later on when u can and have decided that u want more power.. u can always sell the dc and get 180...

DreadAngel
27-02-2007, 10:04 PM
lol that's what i'm thinking of doing in the long run xD get them both but right now i can only have one haha btw the 180sx if i'm getting it will be non turbo since i'm still P plater > <

more opinions and views welcomed!! thanks

Jeckt, if your after non turbo, get the Integra. Honestly the Nissan Non Turbos are no where near as good as Honda end of story. If you get the 180SX, get the Turbo Manual otherwise its not fun at all, in fact very boring. If your really wanting a 180SX, wait till your off your Ps then go get a one like I said Factory Turbo and Manual :D Don't get a NA Auto then do a conversion cause its a waste of money and the engine isn't designed to withstand boost.

As for the 180SX, if your able to find the Type-X then your getting the SR20 equipped ones, if you get the earlier models like 89' or 90' then you get the CA18DET. The CA18DET is a really cool engine imo, hardcore and is so happy to rev surprisingly. It also doesn't have the nasty habit like the SR20 snapping rocker arms at high revs :) Also there is are specials around equipped with the Super HICAS package, worth keeping in mind when you hunt around for 180SX.

27-02-2007, 10:25 PM
lol non turbo 180sx??

GET THE INTEGRA THEN 100% LOCK THIS TOPIC PROBLEM SOLVED

jeckt
27-02-2007, 10:37 PM
yup lock thread - integra seems to be the choice for now and when i gain experience, and have enough money go 180sx and keep my dc2 if not sell it and buy a 180sx

last note - just wanna thank everyone for their help!!

T-onedc2
27-02-2007, 10:42 PM
Go the teg, you'll be a better driver if you can pedal a fwd quickly, more difficult to master than rwd and if you can do it they're quick, regardless of what anyone else says.

IZY-10
27-02-2007, 11:09 PM
deffinatly get the teg if your looking at a non-turbo 180. You'll find the teg to be a quiker alround car a more safer, more predictable, less hasles from cops. And with the 180 i can see you would most likely fall in love with the car and not want to sell it and want to turbo it down the track

ON XTC
28-02-2007, 12:19 AM
for a first car, id get the DC2.

know how to handle and drive like a pro then get something with big balls like a turbo'd 180.

but if you decide to get the 180, get the SR20det. fk the ca18...

xtc_romeo
28-02-2007, 02:10 AM
i recommend you get a teg vtir, not just because this is a honda site, the 180's are getting old and many of them being over 100,000km, most turbo cars have many problems after the 100,000km mark, my mates been through 2 with alot of money spent on each one just to fix.. where as integra vtir's being the same age, also over 100,000km mostly these days dont have as many mechanical problems, and are much lower in maintanence, the power having no match with a 180, but would be more fuel efficient, with less problems to worry about. they are bullets when you come to own one, just give it time and effort, and give it a good service every now and then (thats if ur dedicated) in the end you will have a nice slick looking, and quick car. sleeper to many cars in the turbo car family. :thumbsup: