PDA

View Full Version : the clock (kms)

andiiso
27-02-2007, 11:03 AM
ey guys, i just bought a '95 ek4 vtir, and my brother just told me that if the clock or odometer or whatever isnt straight (the numbers aligned) then its been winded down, is this true ? becuase its true that i see some cars odometer thing (the kms its done) is really straight and some a crooked, my brother and a few friends have said that if its crooked its been winded down for sure ... :confused: the thing im worried about is that this clock says 160,000k and if thats been winded down then who knows how high it was :eek: if the clock said something like 100,000k or something then it being winded down to that i wouldnt be so scared (even though it may have been high as and winded down to that low) but 160,000k winded down means it must have been REALLY high :thumbdwn: thx for any information you can all give

Killa From Manila
27-02-2007, 11:43 AM
on my ek ive got about 115000k's and they are straight but somtimes when the numbers click over they dont line up right and somtimes the last 3 or 4 digits dont line up, but then about 50k's later they r all straight again. has happened a few times but now its all straight and stays straight. maybe the same is happening to yours.

also check your log books and service history. i bought my car from some lady who was a docter and had all log books and service history so i kno my odometer hasnt been turned back.

andiiso
27-02-2007, 11:48 AM
oh ok, ic, i am buying this car from a caryard, and it says it has full service history, i will go look into it today, thanks, hopefully it hasnt been winded down, and hopefully its just the odometer is being dodgy

Samo
27-02-2007, 11:30 PM
i happens on my car too .. sometimes its crooket and sometimes goes str8 agian ...

happens on my dads car too ... and we bought it new

just check the cluster if its been opened b4

andiiso
27-02-2007, 11:54 PM
what is the cluster again ? and how to check if its been opened or not ?

mrwillz
28-02-2007, 12:00 AM
the housing, that holds all the gauges

Spunkymonkey
28-02-2007, 08:51 AM
yes our ek4 doesn't always line up perfectly when its clicking over. Keep in mind that if the car was looked after it should last you for a while. Our 96 ek4 has 250K on it. We bought it on 75K and had it almost 6 years, and the engine is excellent. Quiet, no leaks.

destrukshn
28-02-2007, 08:52 AM
**** it, if it's been wound back, wind it back again.
lol.

andiiso
28-02-2007, 08:53 AM
ahkz, fair enough, thanks guys

Zdster
28-02-2007, 09:19 AM
i happens on my car too .. sometimes its crooket and sometimes goes str8 agian ...

happens on my dads car too ... and we bought it new

just check the cluster if its been opened b4

Even that doesnt mean anything as if you change the gauge cluster surround you have open it up.

In my opion a good way to check is to have a look through the inside and outside of the car and then compare it to the km's. As a car ages it gets normal wear and tear on it (people have sat in the seats longer etc etc) so you should see visable wear signs. Now if for example the interior has a huge amount of wear and cluster only shows 40,000km's you should start asking questions in your own mind why this is the case.

Samo
28-02-2007, 10:12 AM
Even that doesnt mean anything as if you change the gauge cluster surround you have open it up.

In my opion a good way to check is to have a look through the inside and outside of the car and then compare it to the km's. As a car ages it gets normal wear and tear on it (people have sat in the seats longer etc etc) so you should see visable wear signs. Now if for example the interior has a huge amount of wear and cluster only shows 40,000km's you should start asking questions in your own mind why this is the case.

becareful as interior could have been swapped as well ..... :p

lol a car travelled 250,000km well looked after would look new than a car travelled 150,000km treated like shit inside and outside !!

if the cluster hasnt been touched before just means it hasnt be tamppered with so km's are genuine

Zdster
28-02-2007, 10:18 AM
The only reason I raise the point is that everyone used to think on my old car that the km's had been tampered with (even though I had had it from new). The km's were never straight and I had changed gauge surround so the cluster had been openned as well.

Samo
28-02-2007, 10:26 AM
i only raised to note dat ... if the cluster has been touched .. its got a good chance dat the km's been tampered with

not all stock untouched clusters line up str8 the whole time .. only most of the time they do ..