PDA

View Full Version : Integra 91 LS power windows issue

lil4civ
27-02-2007, 12:40 PM
Hi, just need some help on figuring out what is the problem with my power windows.
The problems is that the power window doesn't go up or down when pressed on the passenger side, but when pressed on the driver side to put the window up or down for the passenger window it does go up and down but seems like it stuggles to go up.
I've open the inside panel of the passenger side to see if the cable is connect to the button, which it is. I don't think its a problem with the window motor as when controlled on the driver side it works.
Any idea what the problem could be? the button maybe? or the cabling?
It was working fine before but isn't now.
Thanks for any help.

dc2dc2dc2
27-02-2007, 12:41 PM
check ur motor....thats what was wrong with my one...went up really slow then one day just died...so yeh....just got an old motor from wreckers put it in ... and now goes up fast like a new car :)

EuroDude
27-02-2007, 12:46 PM
sounds like the passenger side connector contacts may have become oxidized. Plug and unplug it a few times. If it still fails, use a multimeter to determine the break in the circuit.

As for hte struggling, get some Carbon/Graphite powder from AutoOne/SuperCheap and puff some powder in the rubber rails. Dont use grease/liquid since it will eventually attract dirt and get worse.
I tried Lithium grease on my Civic which worked great for two weeks but got very bad and became seized after a month.

Rasputin
27-02-2007, 01:07 PM
If the window goes up when you use the driver's side switch, it means that the passenger's side is properly connected.

But your problem is the switch itself, not the wiring etc. If the wiring was faulty, it wouldn't operate from the driver's side either.

What you have to do is pull it apart and clean the oxidation off the inner switch. i.e. the contacts that are pressed together when the button is pressed up or down.

Do you understand what i mean?

lil4civ
27-02-2007, 01:28 PM
Thanks ummm is it the part where it connect to the wire? or is it actually inside where the button is? As i took it out last time and clean where there a metal pins are on the back of the button where it connects to the wire.

EuroDude
27-02-2007, 01:30 PM
could be a bad switch, grab yourself a cheap 12v multimeter from dick smith and check the continuity of the switch and wires.

Rasputin
27-02-2007, 01:46 PM
Inside the switch itself. Not where the wiring plugs in.
Check out this DIY from g2ic.com
http://www.g2ic.com/tegtips/interior/4.html

Sorry I can't find anything with pics

lil4civ
27-02-2007, 02:59 PM
oh i know what your talking about now. Yeah last time i clean the contacts embedded in the switch but it didn't work after i plugged it all back in. If i have time i might try and get the switch from the driver door just to test out to see if its a problem with the button as i'm not sure how to use the multimeter thing.

EuroDude
27-02-2007, 03:06 PM
The Multimeter has two probes that you can use to check if a switch or wire is working (using DIODE mode)

Put one probe on the positive connector of the switch, and the other probe on the earth connector. It should beep when the switch is ON, and not beep if the switch is OFF

http://mechatronics.mech.northwestern.edu/design_ref/tools/multi-diode.gif

LO_N_SXC
27-02-2007, 04:01 PM
I used to get the same problem in my old DA and it's 100% the switch, I did just about all that is mentioned above and same thing, the window would not go up, so I just got my self another switch and BAAAMMM problem gone!

save your time and $$$ and just replace the switch, dont forget these cars are now well over 14yrs old so it wouldnt do any harm if you got your self some contact cleaner and gave some of the main electric a bit of a squirt.

hope that helps dude, coz it sure worked for me!

good luck......

Rasputin
27-02-2007, 08:44 PM
On that note, I've got a working switch you can buy.

IZY-10
27-02-2007, 11:15 PM
like already said it is defenatly your passenger side switch. No need to do a continuety test on it like lo_n_sxc said just get a new switch. As for the window going up slow, dont worry about it almost all da's have that problem on the passenger side

IZY-10
27-02-2007, 11:19 PM
The Multimeter has two probes that you can use to check if a switch or wire is working (using DIODE mode)

Put one probe on the positive connector of the switch, and the other probe on the earth connector. It should beep when the switch is ON, and not beep if the switch is OFF

http://mechatronics.mech.northwestern.edu/design_ref/tools/multi-diode.gif

you for got to mention to do this test you would have to hold the switch on (on the door handle):thumbsup:

lil4civ
28-02-2007, 10:26 AM
Thanks for all your help guys.
Rasputin - how much you want for the switch? and where abouts are you? as i dont want to spend too much and find out its not a problem with the switch.

IZY-10
28-02-2007, 11:31 AM
Thanks for all your help guys.
Rasputin - how much you want for the switch? and where abouts are you? as i dont want to spend too much and find out its not a problem with the switch.

pm vtegra he is wrecking one of his da9's

Rasputin
28-02-2007, 11:14 PM
I pmed you. If it doesn't fix the problem, I'll take it back. How's that?