View Full Version : 17" Rims on EK

vishta
28-02-2007, 12:57 AM
Hi my friend bought a 97 EK1 with the 17" rims, and using 205/40/R17tyre
when there is people sitting at the back, it got the squeaky sound
what is the problem and how can he get it fixed

xtc_romeo
28-02-2007, 01:59 AM
has ur mate checked his shocks? probably their gone, hence when passengers are in the car the shocks have more tension holding the weight it starts to squeek.

Zdster
28-02-2007, 08:13 AM
I disagree with xtc_romeo. If it doesnt squeek just driving around normally then I wouldnt think the shocks are blown. It is more likely (at least in my opinion) that he is rubbing the tyres on the guards or dust shields.

I would assume from the tyre profile that he is running a 17x7 wheel? Also, assume the car is lowered? Easiest solution is to raise the car or get wheels with different offset so that they dont sit under the guards as much.

shinji112
28-02-2007, 11:25 AM
yeah my friends r32 has the same prob with a full car.. starts to scrape! but it looks decked hahahah

vishta
28-02-2007, 11:33 AM
firstly, thx for the reply ...
so what are the suspension or springs you guys would recommend ?

Zdster
28-02-2007, 11:36 AM
firstly, thx for the reply ...
so what are the suspension or springs you guys would recommend ?

Depends on what sort of budget you have in mind and what the car is mostly used for (street/track/combination of the two).

krogoth
28-02-2007, 11:37 AM
I disagree with xtc_romeo. If it doesnt squeek just driving around normally then I wouldnt think the shocks are blown. It is more likely (at least in my opinion) that he is rubbing the tyres on the guards or dust shields.

I would assume from the tyre profile that he is running a 17x7 wheel? Also, assume the car is lowered? Easiest solution is to raise the car or get wheels with different offset so that they dont sit under the guards as much.

i agree with mike

find out if the car has been lowered

find out wat offset the wheels have

if the offset is too low, the weels will sit inside too much and because the weels are wider, assuming 17x7 then scrubbing will occur especially with a full load

also if the car is too low, get different springs, or put the stock ones back in

a car can be lowerd with ppl in it and have different rims wile at the same time u dont get scrubbing or strange sounds...it just costs more $$$ than to do it the cheap way

XP02ED
28-02-2007, 03:10 PM
i get the same thing! get new springs whcih aint lowered.. but will look ugly when noone sitting on it..

blu3illusion84
28-02-2007, 03:19 PM
i fought the brake pad was making the squeaky sound everytime i go down the ramp..

Jord
28-02-2007, 03:20 PM
get the guards rolled? :)

CalWong
28-02-2007, 05:30 PM
i get the same thing! get new springs whcih aint lowered.. but will look ugly when noone sitting on it..

Hi XPO2ED, would you mind telling me that what kind of springs and suspension you are using?

I also want to fix the problem, but my shock is not stock... no ideas what springs should I get in order to rasie my car.

XP02ED
28-02-2007, 05:34 PM
hey dude,
mine r kings, they are fine but wen i have 2 people in the back it scrapes on bumps on the road.. esp wen i got a rear kit as well as it sits lower and tend to get close to the tyres wen lowered..

i would recommend pedders springs for stiff ones on rear..

mine literally is about 1cm off from the rear bar to the tyres wen 2 people in the rear... my cars a 4 seater :D well i made it as that

CalWong
28-02-2007, 05:47 PM
hey dude,
mine r kings, they are fine but wen i have 2 people in the back it scrapes on bumps on the road.. esp wen i got a rear kit as well as it sits lower and tend to get close to the tyres wen lowered..

i would recommend pedders springs for stiff ones on rear..

mine literally is about 1cm off from the rear bar to the tyres wen 2 people in the rear... my cars a 4 seater :D well i made it as that

Thanks for your reply...
where did you get those springs and how much you paid for it?

XP02ED
28-02-2007, 05:49 PM
yeh i got them off another oz honda member, which i paid i think it was 180

but if you have alot of people alwaiz in your rear i would suggest go to pedders or an actual shop instead of doing a home job.

destrukshn
28-02-2007, 05:54 PM
also depends on the offset of the wheel, and sometimes the the tyre as, well, not all 205/40/r17 tyres are physically the same, some have a smaller body than others.
i've got 17x7's on my car, lowered 1-1.5inch all round, on a full load, plus taking heavy corners, no scurbbing at all.
my car is a eg sedan.
offset of my wheels, i dunnoes, kinda forgot.
but yeah, get my drift?

CalWong
28-02-2007, 06:07 PM
yeh i got them off another oz honda member, which i paid i think it was 180

but if you have alot of people alwaiz in your rear i would suggest go to pedders or an actual shop instead of doing a home job.

Are you using stock shock?

XP02ED
28-02-2007, 06:13 PM
yup using stock shocks.. its done about 200ks

LOL

uetecu
28-02-2007, 06:58 PM
what offset are the rims?

if they are +35 you shouldn't get any scraping if you roll your guards. :thumbsup:

blu3illusion84
28-02-2007, 08:26 PM
yup using stock shocks.. its done about 200ks

LOL

feel sorry for your stock shock..
hope will goes hard :p :thumbsup: