PDA

View Full Version : Hot gear box

spacepants_fb
28-02-2007, 07:44 AM
Hi guys. I've noticed that the area near my gearstick inside the cabin is getting warm/hot...so much so that it's making me feel uncomfortable inside the cabin. I'm not sure what's causing it so I wanted to ask what people think may be causing this to happen. I've recently just changed my exhaust to a 2 1/4 inch cat back exhaust...would it be possible that it may be heat radiating from this? Or should I check other things as well? There's no crunching, I can still get into gear with no problems, but I'm just worried about this heat. So any ideas guys?

destrukshn
28-02-2007, 07:55 AM
there maybe some plugs there, that keep the heat away, i'm led to believe.
check that.
lol

fatboyz39
28-02-2007, 07:56 AM
Nothing is wrong. Mayb when you had the exhuast made up the guy made it too close to the shift linkage.? I wouldn't be worrying.

spacepants_fb
28-02-2007, 07:56 AM
Hey JT, where can I find said plugs? And how would they have come loose?

destrukshn
28-02-2007, 07:57 AM
lol, ask ben, that's what he said last time.

EGB18CT
28-02-2007, 07:58 AM
prolly the heat shield was removed, my eg does this, if the shield cant t get some fibreglass heat wrap

spacepants_fb
28-02-2007, 07:59 AM
Hmmm...so heat soak from exhaust? Shift linkage...Ben installed a whiteline sway bar kit on my car...everytime I hit a bump, a squeaking sound could be heard. Would it be possible that the sway bar is hitting the shift linkage? Also would low transmission fluid levels cause the heat?

dudeling7
28-02-2007, 08:38 AM
its probably from youre new exhaust man. just radiated more head through tothe cabin, some of the heat shieding may have been removed.

but after i got my header back after going hard it would feel hot around the centre console as the piping is just below it.

JasonGilholme
28-02-2007, 08:41 AM
Sway bar won't hit the shift linkage. Its at the other end of the car.

Just wrap your exhaust in some heat wrap. Its just heat soak man. I get it with my car (stripped interior). Heat wrapping would be best.

J

spacepants_fb
28-02-2007, 08:49 AM
Sway bar won't hit the shift linkage. Its at the other end of the car.

Just wrap your exhaust in some heat wrap. Its just heat soak man. I get it with my car (stripped interior). Heat wrapping would be best.

J

Yeah I'll give heat wrap a try...maybe just getting paranoidover nothing! Oh and sorry man, i may have forgotten to specify that a front swaybar was installed along with the rear. It's just that when the front swaybar was installed, i heard aaron and ben say that it (the swaybar) was pretty close to the shift linkage.

bennjamin
28-02-2007, 02:13 PM
there maybe some plugs there, that keep the heat away, i'm led to believe.
check that.
lol

its called a shift boot grommet u idiot :p Its a rubber boot which sits ont eh lower part of the gear stick (under the shift boot) and seals the lower hole from the heat and elements.
If its worn or loose or not there , the heat will transfer into the cabin quiet easily.
Also , the new piping you have dude , is closer to the shift linkage and is transferring hte heat to the gear stick.

YOU know tha problem you have with that noise....might be related to your new piping hitting hte shift linkage

spacepants_fb
28-02-2007, 02:31 PM
its called a shift boot grommet u idiot :p Its a rubber boot which sits ont eh lower part of the gear stick (under the shift boot) and seals the lower hole from the heat and elements.
If its worn or loose or not there , the heat will transfer into the cabin quiet easily.
Also , the new piping you have dude , is closer to the shift linkage and is transferring hte heat to the gear stick.

YOU know tha problem you have with that noise....might be related to your new piping hitting hte shift linkage

Hey Ben, when you say the piping, you mean the exhaust piping? Also did u see if the grommets were still there when u were underneath the car? Hmmm...in regards to the noise, when i was driving to ur place, there was no noise. It only started after the sway bar was put on...very puzzling:confused: . As for the heat, Would heat wrap fix the problem? Or maybe even going back to the exhaust place and have them refit the exhaust a little lower?

bennjamin
28-02-2007, 03:45 PM
Hey Ben, when you say the piping, you mean the exhaust piping? Also did u see if the grommets were still there when u were underneath the car? Hmmm...in regards to the noise, when i was driving to ur place, there was no noise. It only started after the sway bar was put on...very puzzling:confused: . As for the heat, Would heat wrap fix the problem? Or maybe even going back to the exhaust place and have them refit the exhaust a little lower?

piping = exhaust piping yup.
I didnt see if the grommet was there - only need to see underneath or pull your shift boot surround up to find out.
If the noise started after the swaybar install i guess its logical its to do with the install :)
You can heat wrap the collector area so it dosent transfer the heat to the shift linkage/shifter -

spacepants_fb
01-03-2007, 08:48 AM
At least I've now got a list of what might be causing the heat. Another question, would an exhaust "leak" cause the heat as well, ie. the exhaust place may have not welded my exhaust together properly?

JasonGilholme
01-03-2007, 09:10 AM
you'd smell it in the cabin then.

I did a test in my car last night by taking the boot off from around the bottom of the gear stick (the rubber one thats on the chassis) and i noticed alot of hot air coming into the cabin.

It wasn't just radiating into the cabin there was hot air actually coming into the car. Like a hairdryer sorta thing.

Jase

EGB18CT
01-03-2007, 09:15 AM
the heat will 100% be comming from ur exhaust, just wrap half of it up cos ur heat shield was most likely removed, even if your gromets were still there, if its close to the linkage, floor pan (even if it was lower)it will get hot cos mine does. Just get some exhaust wrap and wrap the area around the header flange, cat and bit of the section after the cat, should solve ur problems. Exhuaust leak could come from the header flange, i mite have one around there cos the flanges dont meet up 100 % yet but if u have a tiny gap just go put and get some silicon and bog it up heaps and re tighten the flanges and ur prob should be solved. the tiny squeek over bumps is prolly ur exhaust scraping or slightly swaying, get under ur car and try move it cos ur hangers ma be loose, if so u might need new hangar rubber or the hangers off the exhaust need to be shortened or modded cos most likely the exhaust shop was lazy and couldnt be stuffed hanging it with some effort.

done!

spacepants_fb
01-03-2007, 09:25 AM
you'd smell it in the cabin then.

I did a test in my car last night by taking the boot off from around the bottom of the gear stick (the rubber one thats on the chassis) and i noticed alot of hot air coming into the cabin.

It wasn't just radiating into the cabin there was hot air actually coming into the car. Like a hairdryer sorta thing.

Jase

That's what it feels like...like hot air heating up everything from the center out. So I'll check this Saturday and if that's the problem, then it'll be easy to replace. EGB18CT, thanks for the info as well man. I've called up Liverpool Exhaust and they said that they will have a look at it on Saturday morning. So here's hoping that all is good and I don't have fork out too much money to get this problem sorted.

spacepants_fb
05-03-2007, 09:53 AM
UPDATE: Went back to liverpool exhaust and they put the car on the hoist and we determined that the hot air is coming from the the header flange (where the cat connects to the header) apparently the itr headers that I have don't meet up 100% with the cat, just as EGB18CT said. Just wondering what the best solution would be...am I right to think that the header flange does not meet 100% as the flange is bigger than the cat's inlet? And if this is the case, would getting a cat with a bigger inlet size solve the problem?