PDA

View Full Version : repair fibreglass body kit

Why_Try
01-03-2007, 12:44 AM
my front bumper has a very minor damage and i recently bought a fibreglass repair kit yet there's no sort of instruction and have been google-ing yet nothing. i've been to panel beatings and i honestly reckon it is a waste of cash to just fix a small area of my front bumper for around $400, so if anyone has any sort of ideas it would helpful :D

5thGen
01-03-2007, 12:54 AM
its fairly easy mate. Cut your fibreglass mat to size, get a kitchen scale out and weigh 100 grams of resin, and then add 1-2ml of catalyst. Someone back me up on that ratio, but from memory it seems correct. You can halve or double the quantity, just keep it in the same ratio. Apply some resin with a paintbrush to the area, and then place the fibreglass mat over the top. then apply more resin over the top. Roll any air bubbles out of the weave. While the resin is still wet another layer can be applied. to clean the brush use some acetone (or go steal your mums nail polish remover, its the same crap). Once its dry go ahead and sand it smooth with some 800 grit wet n dry, and then use some 2000 grit wet n dry paper to get a perfect finish.

Heres a link that goes into more detail:
http://huntsman.ivt.com.au/sitebuilder/knowledge/files/22/1theapplicationoffibreglassversion2.doc

Samo
01-03-2007, 11:34 AM
1-2% of catalyst on hot days
and 2-3% on cold days

5thGen
01-03-2007, 09:52 PM
That sounds right. I find it a lot easier (especially in our climate) to stick to around 1% catalyst.. It might take a while to dry, but at least you dont have to rush the application before it starts to heat and clug up.

Samo
01-03-2007, 11:02 PM
i'll be making a fibreglass aibox on the week end ...
ill post up sum pix when i do

5thGen
01-03-2007, 11:36 PM
Ive got a few shots of some fibreglassing and carbon fibre overlay that I did for my custom foglights.. scroll down to view the pics.

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1062435#post1062435

Why_Try
02-03-2007, 10:53 AM
thanks guys probably try this weekend