PDA

View Full Version : New unreg cars used for demo

boleh
01-03-2007, 07:15 AM
I've been given unregistered cars to test by dealers before and what they did is hanging a temporary plate on the car and off we went happily revving and steering.. Once it was back in the dealership, the temp plate was removed and the car was again parked in the yard among all the brand new cars, which could be registered and delivered as brand new to unsuspecting buyers..

Im pretty sure many of you have experienced the same thing.. Now, has it occurred to you worrying that your new car could have been used for test drive before?

If one test drive average is abt 5-7 km's, and a new car has been taken for 3 rounds of testing.. Given that it already has 3-5 km's while being transpotred (driven onto/off from cargo) then it would have 18-26 km's on the clock.. it could still pass on as a new car.

When collecting a new car, what's the maximum mileage can it have before we have the right to reject it? My major worry isnt the mileage it already has but the way the car was driven during test-drive when it was still new & tight.. that could have an impact in the long run

Alpine
01-03-2007, 07:32 AM
Our local Honda dealer has done this to me before when I went to test drive a Euro. They rolled out a brand new Luxury for me to flog. I was abit concerned about the poor unsuspecting buyer who gets this car, and others that have gone thru the same thing, thinking they are getting a "brand new" car. It's wrong in my opinion and shouldn't be allowed. If I knew I was getting a "demo" I might as well save thousands off the price of a "new" one and get a proper demo.

Lukey13
01-03-2007, 07:50 AM
I do hope that won't be the case for my new Luxury which is about to delivered in the next two working days.

Although at my dealer I'm pretty confident they don't do this, as I was given a proper demo car (registered with a couple of thousand kms on it) to have for an entire weekend. How could I not fall in love with the thing when I spent the whole weekend driving it non-stop!!

BiLL|z0r
01-03-2007, 07:56 AM
We drove a brand new car for the test drive (still was plastic wrapped) but ended up buying the car then and there anyway. I thought that the car's they sell as demo's were the cars we all drove around in for test drives and if someone wants that exact car then and there then they have the right to ask for a bit off the price (depending on km's on the clock) but also remember it's better the buyer as they can get a car then and there (after rego of course) and know exactly which 1 they are getting.

sendok
01-03-2007, 09:23 AM
I've been test drive a pure demo car... I love Lexus dealer as well, they give the demo car, not even think about me again... i went for 20mins + :D lolz..

boleh: what car you buying? EURO? :D

Zdster
01-03-2007, 09:30 AM
Some of my thoughts. I have heard of a number of enthusiast car buyers who put in as part of the contract that they will only purchase the car/except the car with less than 10km's on it. This means that tinting can be done, driven on and off a truck etc etc, but not particularly abused.

My personal thoughts are that considering that every motor is 'run in' at the factory anyway, it is not to much of a concern. Furthermore, if you have any extended warrenty you would hope that any issues can be sorted out if they do arise.

UNLS1
01-03-2007, 09:41 AM
alot of country dealers dont register demos so they just chuck a trade plate on one of their cars and demo it!

Some times we get dealer swaps from the country and some cars have had 50-100ks on them! It just happens! with all makes!

but most new hondas usually have anything from 10-25 delivery kms on it!
it goes to dealer, then PD, then cleaners ect

Pumped
01-03-2007, 10:13 AM
I've been test drive a pure demo car... I love Lexus dealer as well, they give the demo car, not even think about me again... i went for 20mins + :D lolz..

The lexus dealer near me let my parents test drive an Rx350 for the weekend!
Didnt care about how many kms they put on it!:eek:

aaronng
01-03-2007, 10:41 AM
Depends on the dealer. The dealer I bought from had dedicated test drive cars. If you get extras like paint protection, they will drive your car to the place to have it applied and that can rack up some kms.

tron07
01-03-2007, 11:15 AM
Boleh have a 06 5At if not mistaken.....

Mine came with 8km on the odo.. should had been lower if the insurance was open on sunday when I went to collect the car, but there were not and the salesman have to drive it back into the parking garage in the back of the showroom.

jeffske
01-03-2007, 11:33 AM

a lexus and a honda arent exactly the same thing. when someone is spending $50k+ they want to know they're getting something decent

boleh
01-03-2007, 11:55 AM
sendok, Helo!

tron07, good on u. if i rmember, my car came with ard ~30kms on it. so i think it has been taken for test drive before. i should've realised to check it.. well, i've learnt from my mistake.

aaronng
01-03-2007, 12:08 PM
sendok, Helo!

tron07, good on u. if i rmember, my car came with ard ~30kms on it. so i think it has been taken for test drive before. i should've realised to check it.. well, i've learnt from my mistake.

Did you get paint protection or did the dealer detail your car before delivery (no swirls)

sendok
01-03-2007, 03:29 PM

Waw.. your parents should go for a family trip to Grampians, or maybe Great Ocean Road :D

Btw, if the KM's on the demo car much.. somebody wanna buy it can push down the price... and still to be the first owner of the car.. coz demo car is not count as first owner.. :angel:

hooboy
01-03-2007, 03:31 PM
I am just wondering, our euros are not OZ built right? So in my opinion, the process of delivering them would incurring couple of kms in our Odo. The process from taking the car out from the factory, to the delivery trailer, then to the ship that transport them to oz, then to Oz Honda dealers and so on. On top of that, surely they would need to test the car for couple of kms for quality check, not to mention the paint protection extra that we want. I'll say, it is still acceptable (IMO) for the odo to read up to 30Km.

Cheers

tron07
01-03-2007, 03:43 PM
A normal test drive is usually 2-3km... they could do a few trips and you probably wouldnt know. My euro test at the big dealer in Syd is just around the back towards five docks and back. About 2-3km. Thats on a car with 1k plus on the odo.

aaronng
01-03-2007, 03:44 PM
I am just wondering, our euros are not OZ built right? So in my opinion, the process of delivering them would incurring couple of kms in our Odo. The process from taking the car out from the factory, to the delivery trailer, then to the ship that transport them to oz, then to Oz Honda dealers and so on. On top of that, surely they would need to test the car for couple of kms for quality check, not to mention the paint protection extra that we want. I'll say, it is still acceptable (IMO) for the odo to read up to 30Km.

Cheers

There have been a few up to 60kms. Some cars get dents when being transported to and from the ship, so they get a trip to the paintless dent removalists too.

tron07
01-03-2007, 03:44 PM
Sometimes they need to drive to the nearest/cheapest petrol station to fill it up.

01-03-2007, 03:59 PM
From port to dealer sometimes build km's as well

i saw lines of new civic and accord drivin on the road with dealer plate. i just want 1 of those hahahah

badthing
01-03-2007, 04:29 PM
my car had 7kms on the odo when i went to pick it up brand new from the dealer

panda[cRx]
01-03-2007, 04:36 PM
of course the cars have a few kms on them when you buy them. not only from the transportation process but also the test drive during the PD (pre-delivery inspection).
most dealers use dedicated demo cars. if you drive a unreg car with a trade plate on it there is a good chance either you will buy it or it will become a demo anyway.
and what is the real concern anyway? you dont think your brand new car can handle a few laps around the block?

tron07
01-03-2007, 05:00 PM
The people at the dealer where I went, most of them got company car...

The lady that was handling my account show me her company Euro Lux, say last time she got the red Euro Sport, which have better handling. Some used their own company car as demo, then when new model comes out, their old car is sold as demo car. Some got Civic and others. Condition is that they need to keep their car clean as its park in the lot near the showroom.

Lukey13
01-03-2007, 05:24 PM
A normal test drive is usually 2-3km... they could do a few trips and you probably wouldnt know. My euro test at the big dealer in Syd is just around the back towards five docks and back. About 2-3km. Thats on a car with 1k plus on the odo.

Yeah? Not the test drives I've had in other cars (including BMWs where I've taken them out for at least 25 minutes so I can drive them both on highway and around tight cornering in town).

In fact, the Honda I test drove racked up at least a couple of hundred kms as I had it for the entire weekend.

boleh
01-03-2007, 07:20 PM
Yeah? Not the test drives I've had in other cars (including BMWs where I've taken them out for at least 25 minutes so I can drive them both on highway and around tight cornering in town).

In fact, the Honda I test drove racked up at least a couple of hundred kms as I had it for the entire weekend.

Just how did u guys manage to test drive the car overnight or even an entire weekend?? I just know BMW was doing it with their 1-series last yr, and now Hyundai (desperate for sales) is doing 24-hr test drive..

Did u have to pay at least a bond or something?? I would really like to test for a day on a car I'm seriously considering buying

EuroAccord13
02-03-2007, 01:10 AM
I was lucky I picked up my Euro wrapped in plastic and paper with very little kms on it..

UNLS1
02-03-2007, 10:52 AM
The people at the dealer where I went, most of them got company car...

The lady that was handling my account show me her company Euro Lux, say last time she got the red Euro Sport, which have better handling. Some used their own company car as demo, then when new model comes out, their old car is sold as demo car. Some got Civic and others. Condition is that they need to keep their car clean as its park in the lot near the showroom.

lol she clearly has no idea! the euro sport does not have 'better' handling! it has exactly the same suspension as the lux! haha

Pumped
02-03-2007, 11:49 AM
lol she clearly has no idea! the euro sport does not have 'better' handling! it has exactly the same suspension as the lux! haha

:) LOL! nah man the sports sticker helps make it handle way WAY better :D

boleh
02-03-2007, 04:53 PM
it;s not that she hasn't got a clue.. but all sales ppl are just the same, arent they? :D

hooboy
02-03-2007, 05:08 PM
Salespeople uses words such as lux (to say more comfy ride) and sport (to say lots faster and better handling). They just want to play with people perception to get their impression, to boost sales of course.

Cheers

Euro76
03-03-2007, 07:33 AM

boleh: what car you buying? EURO? :D

Even Lexus of Brighton dealer offered me to experience the new IS250 for 24 hours :eek: :D

Unfortunately I said no, worried that they will call me and persuade me to buy the car. I got that in the past with a BMW dealer.

EG30
03-03-2007, 07:52 AM
With the introduction of digital odometers, many manufacturers provides their dealers the possiblity of zeroing the odometer prior to deliveries ie to show close to zero instead of say 30 or 40kms from transport, test drives and pre deliveries where the customer ( esp high end prestige cars ) might express their dissatisfaction.

Of course it's a secret combination of pressing buttons on the dash such as the odo reset button and the ign key switch sequence, or via the master diagnostic machine.

Obvisously there is a limit in the algorithm to stop the dealer keep resetting a car from x,000 kms back down to zero again. I remember when the M-Benz W210 series E class was 1st released in 1995/6, dealers could reset the odo to zero provided it's still under 30kms and they can only do it up to 3 times in total per car which is plenty for the intended purpose.

MiSloVic
04-03-2007, 10:59 AM
a lexus and a honda arent exactly the same thing. when someone is spending $50k+ they want to know they're getting something decent

umm... just for interest, hyundai is offerring a 24 hour test drive as well.