PDA

View Full Version : Mugen Airbox

TypeG
01-03-2007, 09:41 AM
My mugen airbox just arrived, will give u guys an review after I got it done in the weekend.

http://img149.imageshack.us/img149/2776/1001101qp0.jpg

curik
01-03-2007, 09:58 AM
$#@%!

enkay
01-03-2007, 10:19 AM
dayum cant wait.. looks maad! =P

mr747
01-03-2007, 11:28 AM
big $$$$$ there i suppose well done should sound mad

cdjhitman
01-03-2007, 12:49 PM
dayem!!! how much and where did u get it from???

EuroDude
01-03-2007, 12:56 PM
%#@^@#$!

Pumped
01-03-2007, 12:59 PM
$#$##$#$#!!!! :O

Very nice :)

Chris_F
01-03-2007, 01:10 PM
nice one, let us know how it performs !

ALN
01-03-2007, 01:48 PM
very nice intake kit

aaronng
01-03-2007, 01:58 PM
Is that an air scoop that is meant to direct air from the centre air scoop under the numberplate?

In for vids. Heck, everyone get your vids ready, let's have an Euro intake shootout!

as001
01-03-2007, 01:59 PM
Nice pick up :cool:
Post installation sound clip please :thumbsup:

TypeG
01-03-2007, 02:08 PM
i will
if anyone want a clip.. someone pls record for me =)

sendok
01-03-2007, 03:25 PM
i will
if anyone want a clip.. someone pls record for me =)

i'll record for you, but you fit the mugen to mine? :D

really nice intake looks like :D $$$?

hooboy
01-03-2007, 03:33 PM
Sweet....

TypeG
01-03-2007, 03:37 PM
around 1k

aaronng
01-03-2007, 03:43 PM
around 1k

Ouch.... but that's dry carbon fibre, right? Then it's about that price. Same for the GruppeM.

TypeG
01-03-2007, 03:55 PM
Ouch.... but that's dry carbon fibre, right? Then it's about that price. Same for the GruppeM.

yes it is dry carbon fibre but i do hope it is plastic as it will be cheaper =)

Atjo
01-03-2007, 04:20 PM
You're spending spree for your car now hehe i'll record for you if you want.

TypeG
01-03-2007, 04:46 PM
You're spending spree for your car now hehe i'll record for you if you want.
you are as well =) and a lot more to come after my trip :p

yeah we may come out to meet up sometimes next week hehe

BusterSonic12
01-03-2007, 04:54 PM
the mugen box scoop air from the centre?

sodaz
01-03-2007, 05:38 PM
Is that an air scoop that is meant to direct air from the centre air scoop under the numberplate?

In for vids. Heck, everyone get your vids ready, let's have an Euro intake shootout!

That air scoop rams air from the radiator area to the front wheel well feeding the intake cool air.

This is what it sounds like on my mate's euro (short clip):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxstqcORhyw

curik
01-03-2007, 05:48 PM
your car is gonna be the most JDM and bling Euro in Australia.. =p

BusterSonic12
01-03-2007, 06:11 PM
That air scoop rams air from the radiator area to the front wheel well feeding the intake cool air.

This is what it sounds like on my mate's euro (short clip):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxstqcORhyw

that's it... DIY job for my comptech ^^ haha

sodaz
01-03-2007, 06:52 PM
that's it... DIY job for my comptech ^^ haha

Not a bad idea actually. I want to do something like that for my comptech icebox too. But the ducting thing is a complicated shape and it won't be easy to replicate.

aaronng
01-03-2007, 07:06 PM
^^ You don't have to use curved shapes. Just use sharp angles of around 45º.

TypeG
01-03-2007, 07:59 PM
this is the new design from Mugen
not sure what is the different but that's what the shop said

Euro76
01-03-2007, 08:35 PM
$1K for that? Goodness I wish I have the big bucks in my account :D
Anyway congrats on your purchase, it's definitely worth it. Looks hot too! Now let's bring on the sound clip when it idles and when the vtec kicks in :D

BusterSonic12
01-03-2007, 08:42 PM
Gasper... like always.. jealous =.=

TypeG
01-03-2007, 09:20 PM
Gasper... like always.. jealous =.=

seems like u are the one i should jealous..... all my mod add up is only the price of your car... when i am in high school, i dunno what is car mod :(

sodaz
01-03-2007, 10:04 PM
this is the new design from Mugen
not sure what is the different but that's what the shop said

From the pics it looks like the usual Mugen kit. I'm not sure what's new about it too.

EuroAccord13
01-03-2007, 11:08 PM
If you break it or scratch it... I'll CRY!

sodaz
02-03-2007, 12:36 PM
^^ You don't have to use curved shapes. Just use sharp angles of around 45º.

I sense the "ghetto" spirit there haha. :)

aaronng
02-03-2007, 12:44 PM
I sense the "ghetto" spirit there haha. :)

You're just directing the air, it's not "flowing" yet. When it is in an enclosed space and flowing, you'll need smooth curves for sure. Ghetto doesn't mean dodgy. :p

sodaz
02-03-2007, 01:49 PM
You're just directing the air, it's not "flowing" yet. When it is in an enclosed space and flowing, you'll need smooth curves for sure. Ghetto doesn't mean dodgy. :p

The scoop is a duct and any air that passes through is "flowing" through it. Having any hard edges means that the air will not flow through smoothly. A boxy shape will increase drag and form dead spots which will limit the amount of air flowing through. It's the exact same reason why the airbox is rounded and not a square box shape.

aaronng
02-03-2007, 02:17 PM
The scoop is a duct and any air that passes through is "flowing" through it. Having any hard edges means that the air will not flow through smoothly. A boxy shape will increase drag and form dead spots which will limit the amount of air flowing through. It's the exact same reason why the airbox is rounded and not a square box shape.

You missed my point. The inside of the airbox is enclosed and hence it NEEDS that smooth shape. The scoop is before the airbox and is not enclosed. It is only directing the air, not flowing it. Therefore you can use sharp angles of up to 135º (180º - 45º) or even 120º to direct the air. It doesn't matter if the air is super turbulent as long as it is not turbulent in the enclosed region.

sodaz
02-03-2007, 06:06 PM
You missed my point. The inside of the airbox is enclosed and hence it NEEDS that smooth shape. The scoop is before the airbox and is not enclosed. It is only directing the air, not flowing it. Therefore you can use sharp angles of up to 135º (180º - 45º) or even 120º to direct the air. It doesn't matter if the air is super turbulent as long as it is not turbulent in the enclosed region.

I don't think that true at all. It doesn't matter if it's enclosed or not. The sharp angle will create turbulence at the spot and that translates to less air traveling to the wheel well area. Ask anybody who studies CFD and they'll tell you the same thing. Think of air as water. Will you get more water in the wheel well shooting it at a 45 degree panel or a smooth curved scoop?

xiang
02-03-2007, 09:53 PM
Im gonna have to go with aarong.

Seeing as the ducting isnt a pipe directly connected to intake at all, extreme angles wont retard performance. Because the intake isnt sucking from the ducting, extreme angles isnt going to come into play. It'd only effect the amount of air that is routed to the filter.

Yeah maybe the filter wont get as much cold air if you have like one thousand loops in the piping.

But it wont reduce the performance of the intake it self. Thats what i think anyway.

I've done it on my car, so has aarong..

aaronng
02-03-2007, 11:34 PM
I don't think that true at all. It doesn't matter if it's enclosed or not. The sharp angle will create turbulence at the spot and that translates to less air traveling to the wheel well area. Ask anybody who studies CFD and they'll tell you the same thing. Think of air as water. Will you get more water in the wheel well shooting it at a 45 degree panel or a smooth curved scoop?

Air and water have different densities and viscosities. If you want to use the same analogy, you have to think of directing a jet of water INSIDE water! You are trying to compare water-in-air to air-in-air, and that's different.

And, the air in your wheel well is at atmospheric, it is not a vacuum when your filter is sucking in the air. So all you are doing is directing air into the cavity in hope that more "cold" air gets in.

BTW, CFD is assumes that you are in a single phase. Your water-in-air example is 2-phase and not usable with CFD :)

sodaz
02-03-2007, 11:49 PM
Im gonna have to go with aarong.

Seeing as the ducting isnt a pipe directly connected to intake at all, extreme angles wont retard performance. Because the intake isnt sucking from the ducting, extreme angles isnt going to come into play. It'd only effect the amount of air that is routed to the filter.

Yeah maybe the filter wont get as much cold air if you have like one thousand loops in the piping.

But it wont reduce the performance of the intake it self. Thats what i think anyway.

I've done it on my car, so has aarong..

It has nothing to do with whether it's connected to the intake. A 45 degree panel won't be as efficient routing air to the front wheel well as a smooth curved scoop. The air particles cannot travel efficiently because of turbulence (think of a traffic jam) which means that the wheel well area will get less cool air in comparison. The intake is sucking air from that area. Cooler air = more power. The scoop provides a smooth, constant steam of cool air.

I'm sure the guys at Mugen had too much time on their hands and decided to mould a complicated scoop like that when a simple angular panel would've done the job. Nobody ever said a 45 degree panel will reduce the effectiveness of the intake. After all, it's still better than having nothing in place. All i'm saying is that it's definitely not as good as the scoop that comes with the intake.

I asked my gf who designs industrial scale HVAC systems for a living the same question and she told me the exact same thing. Seriously, ask someone who actually knows CFD and see what they say.

aaronng
02-03-2007, 11:58 PM
HVAC systems are enclosed. That's why they use smooth curves. Ask your gf if they use smooth curves to direct air into the intake port from unenclosed conditions. They probably don't even direct air in and just use an open funnel with a grill to keep pests out. :)

HVAC = Intake arm
Any part that is before the intake port does not have the equivalent flow of inside a HVAC.

sodaz
03-03-2007, 12:10 AM
HVAC systems are enclosed. That's why they use smooth curves. Ask your gf if they use smooth curves to direct air into the intake port from unenclosed conditions. They probably don't even direct air in and just use an open funnel with a grill to keep animals out. :)

Mate, i told you already. I asked her what she thought about the scoop and the 45 degree panel and she said that the panel will definitely not be as efficient for routing air to the wheel well area. Smooth curves allow air to travel smoother and the same thing applies whether it's enclosed or not.

She studied CFD for years and probably understands airflow a bit better than you and I. :p

aaronng
03-03-2007, 12:13 AM
Mate, i told you already. I asked her what she thought about the scoop and the 45 degree panel and she said that the panel will definitely not be as efficient for routing air to the wheel well area. Smooth curves allow air to travel smoother and the same thing applies whether it's enclosed or not.

She studied CFD for years and probably understands airflow a bit better than you and I. :p
It's 45º like this: __/ which is more like 135º.
Make sure you clear it up with her that it's not the __\ 45º.

And I'm a chemical engineer. :)

sodaz
03-03-2007, 12:23 AM
It's 45º like this: __/ which is more like 135º.
Make sure you clear it up with her that it's not the __\ 45º.

And I'm a chemical engineer. :)

Yeah that's exactly how i explained it to her. The other 45 degrees really wouldn't work. I might ask my other friend who's an automotive engineering major and see what he says too.

Seriously? Many years ago i did chemical engineering (only for 6 months) in uni and then i ended up doing computer science cause i couldn't stand the labs lol.

aaronng
03-03-2007, 12:26 AM
Yeah that's exactly how i explained it to her. The other 45 degrees really wouldn't work. I might ask my other friend who's an automotive engineering major and see what he says too.

Seriously? Many years ago i did chemical engineering (only for 6 months) in uni and then i ended up doing computer science cause i couldn't stand the labs lol.

I've been doing chemical engineering for 9 years now. Finally finished it with 2 degrees. LOL. Anyway, I agree that the curved shape will flow better, but when you are using it for a purpose like this, sharp angles will work up to about 80-90% as good as the curved shape. It's all a matter of wanting to go all the way to DIY a curved shape just to gain that last 10-20%, which in real dyno performance gain end up to be about 0.001kW atw. For a chemical engineer, efficiency per dollar/time is what counts. :)

sodaz
03-03-2007, 12:43 AM
I've been doing chemical engineering for 9 years now. Finally finished it with 2 degrees. LOL. Anyway, I agree that the curved shape will flow better, but when you are using it for a purpose like this, sharp angles will work up to about 80-90% as good as the curved shape. It's all a matter of wanting to go all the way to DIY a curved shape just to gain that last 10-20%, which in real dyno performance gain end up to be about 0.001kW atw. For a chemical engineer, efficiency per dollar/time is what counts. :)

Well done mate. It takes a lot of hard work from start to finish.

I think so too. The scoop will probably be around 10-20% more efficient but in terms in real world performance it might not translate to much. Unless you put the two side by side and have a dyno handy, it would be impossible to measure. But if i paid $1k for an intake, i would expect it to have the best design and of course, lots of bling! ;)

aaronng
03-03-2007, 12:45 AM
Well done mate. It takes a lot of hard work from start to finish.

I think so too. The scoop will probably be around 10-20% more efficient but in terms in real world performance it might not translate to much. Unless you put the two side by side and have a dyno handy, it would be impossible to measure. But if i paid $1k for an intake, i would expect it to have the best design and of course, lots of bling! ;)

Yeah, for 1K, it had better be smooth and made out of dry carbon. My sharp angle comment was for a ghetto DIY one. :)

tony1234
03-03-2007, 07:52 AM
Looks good.video/sound clip please.:p

Chris_F
03-03-2007, 08:57 AM
wait...

so the air direct is made out of dry carbon too? I thought it was just the airbox lid that was carbon.

I think I might look into an air direct DIY hehe

TypeG
04-03-2007, 05:23 PM
Finally get it installed... partly as the air duct thing can only bolt on with stock bumper so I will need to ask someone to make a custom mount to mount the duct in place.

Compare to injec, stock and mugen, Injen feels like it lags down low due to their length but provide more peak power gain. Mugen in the other hand is very responsive till redline but may not as much power up top which is really what I am after. Also there is no heat/water problem like CAI/SRI. Mugen as well a lot quite when vtec kick in. The quality is like an art which is no complain.... it may just look like a normal airbox with air direct thing but i believe it is not really as easy as what you guys going to DIY or even a proper DIY with the help from a dyno unless u can run a dyno in a wind tunnel.

At the end of the day, Mugen is not chasing just for top power like what those US things are.

VID... is fairly useless as it is really quite.... a lot quiter than what i expect but it is what I want as well =)

Pix coming soon

yfin
04-03-2007, 05:39 PM
The Mugen is pretty darn expensive Type G. For $1k I think the Gruppe M is better value as you are getting more surface area out of the filter they use

aaronng
04-03-2007, 06:16 PM
The Mugen is pretty darn expensive Type G. For $1k I think the Gruppe M is better value as you are getting more surface area out of the filter they use
I think the mugen is for those who can't stand the noise of the Gruppe M.

sodaz
04-03-2007, 06:20 PM

The power band of the two intakes are quite different. The Mugen provides more low to mid power whereas the Gruppe M focuses more on the top end. It's hard to say which one is better value. Mugen's kit might be more expensive but at the same time you get more stuff.

yfin
04-03-2007, 06:23 PM
Type G - how big is the panel filter for the Mugen? It looks smaller than stock.

TypeG
04-03-2007, 06:34 PM
it is not about the size of the filter itself since larger the filter not equal to the more air you can suck in at a given time as the pipe size is the same. Actually, it just like a stock airbox but the inside is design for the best airflow.
yeah it is pretty hard to compare with Gruppe M as Mugen is more into response on every rpm.
it is a bit pricy but injec is just not really should my driving style =)

sodaz
04-03-2007, 06:51 PM
yeah it is pretty hard to compare with Gruppe M as Mugen is more into response on every rpm.

I drove my mate's car that has the mugen quite a few times and that's the same feeling i got. Smooth and quick response throughout the rev range. I've got the comptech icebox and the mugen revs faster and smoother with more power. It also sounds a lot better in comparison.

Size wise it's between the stock and comptech icebox.

Chris_F
04-03-2007, 07:11 PM
I think the mugen is for those who can't stand the noise of the Gruppe M.

lol i didn't think it was that loud.

The gruppeM doesn't use the biggest pod filter around but it's an interesting design with a wide stainless steel dome on the outside of the filter and a thinner and sharper cone on the inner side - combined with the smooth shape of the heat shield it's meant to smoothen airflow.

I think on a euro with a standard ecu the difference in performance between the two would be negligible. It's hard to say which design would work the best once tuned though - I was impressed by the gruppeM design which is why i went for it.

and besides panel filters sound boring haha

aaronng
04-03-2007, 07:19 PM
lol i didn't think it was that loud.

The gruppeM doesn't use the biggest pod filter around but it's an interesting design with a wide stainless steel dome on the outside of the filter and a thinner and sharper cone on the inner side - combined with the smooth shape of the heat shield it's meant to smoothen airflow.

I think on a euro with a standard ecu the difference in performance between the two would be negligible. It's hard to say which design would work the best once tuned though - I was impressed by the gruppeM design which is why i went for it.

and besides panel filters sound boring haha

I thought the gruppeM used a standard K&N pod.

Chris_F
04-03-2007, 07:20 PM
nope, it's a unique design specified by gruppeM (made by K&N)

http://www.gruppemeurope.com/terms_pix.jpg

you can see the wide dome on the outside... on the inside there is a thinner sharper dome

the gruppeM kit comes with quite a few pieces to adapt the extra wide base of the pod as seen in the pics. it also comes with a stay bracket for the cl7/cl9 application

as001
04-03-2007, 07:37 PM
The Gruppe M rules for looks and compromise :thumbsup:
The Mugen kit is too close to ice box setup but hey if you got the cash more power to ya :cool:

aaronng
04-03-2007, 07:44 PM
nope, it's a unique design specified by gruppeM (made by K&N)

http://www.gruppemeurope.com/terms_pix.jpg

you can see the wide dome on the outside... on the inside there is a thinner sharper dome

the gruppeM kit comes with quite a few pieces to adapt the extra wide base of the pod as seen in the pics. it also comes with a stay bracket for the cl7/cl9 application

Ahhh, then the gruppeM probably has very small surface area...

Chris_F
04-03-2007, 08:25 PM
yea it's not a very large filter... the surface area would probably only be a bit more than stock.

interestingly, the same sized filter is used for a number of other applications that would require more air than the k24.

aaronng
04-03-2007, 08:28 PM
yea it's not a very large filter... the surface area would probably only be a bit more than stock.

interestingly, the same sized filter is used for a number of other applications that would require more air than the k24.

For what other cars does GruppeM use this filter for?

TypeG
04-03-2007, 08:30 PM
The Gruppe M rules for looks and compromise :thumbsup:
The Mugen kit is too close to ice box setup but hey if you got the cash more power to ya :cool:

but Mugen do have the CF look =)

TypeG
04-03-2007, 08:31 PM
i dun think the size of the filter will affect much since the pipe size is the same

Chris_F
04-03-2007, 10:55 PM
For what other cars does GruppeM use this filter for?

DC5, EK9, DC2, Audi TT, e36 M3 etc. etc.

http://www.gruppem.co.jp/en/product/index.html

As far as I can tell the same filter is being used - I think there's only one part number for the filter but I haven't been bothered checking to verify that 100% - one things certain it's not a cl7 specific filter

EDIT: I just double thecked the part number and it is the same filter. R34 GTR uses the same as well.

sodaz
05-03-2007, 11:47 AM
but Mugen do have the CF look =)

The gruppe M has a CF heatshield too.

The Mugen kit comes with more stuff than the Gruppe M kit from what i've seen. The Gruppe M kit is an SRI with a heatshield whereas the Mugen comes with the top and bottom lid, intake horn and an air scoop.

TypeG
05-03-2007, 12:42 PM
The gruppe M has a CF heatshield too.

The Mugen kit comes with more stuff than the Gruppe M kit from what i've seen. The Gruppe M kit is an SRI with a heatshield whereas the Mugen comes with the top and bottom lid, intake horn and an air scoop.

nah i mean mugen do have the look as well =)

E-Gene
28-04-2007, 11:53 PM
So anyone here's dynoed their Euro with the Mugen Airbox before?

TypeG
29-04-2007, 12:21 AM
So anyone here's dynoed their Euro with the Mugen Airbox before?

u will have to do it yrself with my airbox =)

E-Gene
29-04-2007, 12:23 AM
u will have to do it yrself with my airbox =)

I'll be having it dynoed in a few weeks actually. Will post up the results once I've got them.

Anyone with Injen or Comptech intakes dyno figures so we can compare?

aaronng
29-04-2007, 12:29 AM
I'll be having it dynoed in a few weeks actually. Will post up the results once I've got them.

I have my DIY intake dyno. But it wasn't done on a dyno dynamics.

TypeG
29-04-2007, 12:29 AM
i got it
with my.....yr exhuast and injec too

yfin
29-04-2007, 10:10 PM

Your car is brand spanking new so maybe now is not the right time to chase dyno numbers

E-Gene
29-04-2007, 10:35 PM
Your car is brand spanking new so maybe now is not the right time to chase dyno numbers

Just trying to see what improvements it makes to the car. But I'm going for my club's dyno day to hang out with the boys and for the fun of it, I decided to put the car on the dyno as well.

Still have the new car smell...Mmmmm....

aaronng
30-04-2007, 07:36 AM
Just trying to see what improvements it makes to the car. But I'm going for my club's dyno day to hang out with the boys and for the fun of it, I decided to put the car on the dyno as well.

Still have the new car smell...Mmmmm....

Well, your dyno numbers will only be comparable to the other cars that will run on the same dyno day. You can't compare numbers over different brands of dyno machines.

E-Gene
30-04-2007, 10:29 PM
Well, your dyno numbers will only be comparable to the other cars that will run on the same dyno day. You can't compare numbers over different brands of dyno machines.

Yes, I know that. I've had my previous cars dynoed before and understand that every dyno is different, every car is different at different times, etc.

But there's always a rough benchmark for what to expect from our cars. Just want to know what the average is so if say most people have been getting 115kw and I get only 95kw then I know that something is wrong with my setup.

TypeG
30-04-2007, 10:31 PM
lol
with yr parts, u wont go wrong....
i got 120kw with yr exhuast and crappy injec =)

E-Gene
02-05-2007, 11:34 PM
Phew, took the entire night but the airbox is finally in the car. First time ever taking apart the Euro so it took a while but the Mugen instructions (though in Jap) were fantastic. Will post up some photos in a while, gotta go wash the dirty hands.

aaronng
03-05-2007, 12:07 AM
Yes, I know that. I've had my previous cars dynoed before and understand that every dyno is different, every car is different at different times, etc.

But there's always a rough benchmark for what to expect from our cars. Just want to know what the average is so if say most people have been getting 115kw and I get only 95kw then I know that something is wrong with my setup.

It would be better if you used the dyno to find out the improvement in power with your mods rather than compare the outright power to someone elses.

aaronng
03-05-2007, 12:07 AM
lol
with yr parts, u wont go wrong....
i got 120kw with yr exhuast and crappy injec =)

Depends on the dyno. I got 119.5kW with just a pod!

curik
03-05-2007, 12:27 AM
what have you got in there grey panther? would i get 130kw with my current mods plus a hiflow aaronng?

TypeG
03-05-2007, 12:31 AM
Depends on the dyno. I got 119.5kW with just a pod!

of coz i know that mate. just that he is asking for a general figure which myself had an exact setup which he is after

E-Gene
03-05-2007, 12:38 AM
Ok here it goes, I thought that I better post them up before I go to bed.

The first thing I did was to take off the bumper, so a couple of screws and clips later, the bumper was off...too easy.

Then I removed the resonator and the airbox and put the Mugen one in (don't think that I need to go into details.)

Also install the scoop that catches the air from the bumper beside the foggies.

So here it is. Haven't given the car a good drive yet and will post up my thoughts tomorrow when I have.

But mission accomplished! And I'm proud that I did it all on my own.

aaronng
03-05-2007, 01:57 AM
what have you got in there grey panther? would i get 130kw with my current mods plus a hiflow aaronng?

Depends on the dyno. :) Why don't you go for the next dynoday? Then your numbers can be compared to the other cars on the day too. BTW, when am I going to get to see your car? I've even moved to Melb already! Go for the BBQ meet.

aaronng
03-05-2007, 02:02 AM
Then I removed the resonator and the airbox and put the Mugen one in (don't think that I need to go into details.)

Also install the scoop that catches the air from the bumper beside the foggies.

So here it is. Haven't given the car a good drive yet and will post up my thoughts tomorrow when I have.

But mission accomplished! And I'm proud that I did it all on my own.

Nice! How much bigger is the Mugen top and bottom half of the airbox when compared to stock?

curik
03-05-2007, 08:08 AM
Depends on the dyno. :) Why don't you go for the next dynoday? Then your numbers can be compared to the other cars on the day too. BTW, when am I going to get to see your car? I've even moved to Melb already! Go for the BBQ meet.

I hope I can go to the BBQ meet. I want to see your car. Some say she has a tail hidden in her boot, and if you don't put unleaded in it she will growl.

TypeG
03-05-2007, 09:00 AM
Nice! How much bigger is the Mugen top and bottom half of the airbox when compared to stock?

it is SLIGHTLY smaller in term of size

aaronng
03-05-2007, 12:11 PM
I hope I can go to the BBQ meet. I want to see your car. Some say she has a tail hidden in her boot, and if you don't put unleaded in it she will growl.

She's called the Stigette. :)

aaronng
03-05-2007, 12:12 PM
it is SLIGHTLY smaller in term of size

I see. The top cover looks to be taller but narrower.

sendok
03-05-2007, 02:22 PM
Yeah it slightly smaller if you see the dimension of outer part..

BusterSonic12
03-05-2007, 03:17 PM
u know the pan wind guiding thingy..... where does that go? and does it lead directly in front of the mouth of the intake? or just a general direction to that area.

E-Gene
03-05-2007, 08:40 PM
u know the pan wind guiding thingy..... where does that go? and does it lead directly in front of the mouth of the intake? or just a general direction to that area.

It leads from the front bumper beside the foglights straight to the funnel that leads to the airbox, so it's really direct.

aaronng
03-05-2007, 11:36 PM
It leads from the front bumper beside the foglights straight to the funnel that leads to the airbox, so it's really direct.

Could we have a look at it and copy down the dimensions so we can make our own version? :p

tony1234
04-05-2007, 07:22 AM
E-Gene,how much was the airbox and where did you get it from?:wave:

TypeG
04-05-2007, 09:28 AM
E-Gene,how much was the airbox and where did you get it from?:wave:

From 1k depends on where u go to

E-Gene
04-05-2007, 10:59 AM
Could we have a look at it and copy down the dimensions so we can make our own version? :p

You should have told me BEFORE I put it in. :p

Anyway, I'm coming for the BBQ so you can take a look at it then.

BusterSonic12
04-05-2007, 02:07 PM

is it under the license plate? next to the radiator or something?? is it visible from the front? can u take a photo of the front?

TypeG
04-05-2007, 05:11 PM
next to the fog light and radiator. they got plate to cover to hole around the air duct to lead the cold air straight up to the box

E-Gene
05-05-2007, 05:49 PM
is it under the license plate? next to the radiator or something?? is it visible from the front? can u take a photo of the front?

Will take a photo of it when I get a chance. Is just next to the foggies.

E-Gene
07-05-2007, 10:08 PM
Here's a photo of where the scoop is. Not sure if you can see it clearly, but that's the point I guess. It's meant to be "stealth". Hehe.

BusterSonic12
07-05-2007, 10:20 PM
ohhh... isee
wished comptech had one ^^

wished that they had replicas of these. then i will get one.

aaronng
08-05-2007, 07:29 AM
It should be easy to replicate. :)

Comptech has closed down. :(

BusterSonic12
08-05-2007, 07:51 AM

make some aaron :p and start selling on ebay

tony1234
08-05-2007, 08:47 AM

Aaron,i'd be interested:)

aaronng
08-05-2007, 08:51 AM
But.... I don't need one. :p

tony1234
08-05-2007, 08:53 AM
But.... I don't need one. :p
But i do!!:)

J-TODA
08-05-2007, 09:02 AM
haha i do as well =]

idea + interested consumers + arron willing to take the entrepeneurs risk= PROFITS!!!!

^^ only thing senior year business taught me LOL!!:D

yfin
08-05-2007, 01:44 PM
When the car is moving there is heaps of fresh air running from front and under the car to where the Icebox horn/CAI filter sits. I did some testing with my RSM and g sensor with the air ramming into the icebox air horn. Tested with and without the fog cover opening (eg 60-100 - 2nd gear, full throttle). Tried to keep conditions as similar as possible - same day, same road.

Time differences were negligible so if you are chasing more power try something else. I think you need to be going faster than legal road speeds to see the benefit of ram air.

BusterSonic12
08-05-2007, 02:17 PM
ohhh.... yfin, please don't tell us the fact, i will dream on as if it had 10kw gain from the cover off =p