PDA

View Full Version : ULP VS PULP

mytoycivic
19-06-2004, 08:13 PM
please help! i am in a dilemma. i have a december 87 civic. its a 1.5 twin carb and i just want to know whether it would be more beneficial to run pulp or is it better for my old type of car to keep the ulp in it??? thanks :arrow: 8)

mytoycivic
19-06-2004, 08:20 PM
just one more thing. is there anything i should be watching out for in my engine??? i mean things like pinging, or anything like that? it has 230k on it so its quite old, but i am planning an B16A conversion in about 6 months...

carbine
19-06-2004, 08:34 PM
the 1.5 carbies aren't that high performance and with compression <10:1 there shouldn't be any problem with ulp.

mytoycivic
20-06-2004, 09:36 AM
thanks, but i guess what i want to know is would it be ok for my car to run premium unleaded in it? coz i have run it before and it ran really well, but i think it was running a bit rich...i mean will it harm the engine?

bennjamin
20-06-2004, 12:12 PM
thanks, but i guess what i want to know is would it be ok for my car to run premium unleaded in it? coz i have run it before and it ran really well, but i think it was running a bit rich...i mean will it harm the engine?

better rich than lean :)

mytoycivic
20-06-2004, 07:57 PM
could have been because i had shit oil in it and it was BLACK. shit filter too. its only because i was lazy for once and took the bloody thing to a cheap mech and got the oil done. bad idea
anyway cheers

bumthology
21-06-2004, 03:36 AM
Leaded petrol. = ~96 octane (correct me if i'm wrong)
Unleaded petrol = ~92 octane
Premium Unleaded = ~96 octane
Ultimate 98 (BP), Synergy 2000..eg... = ~98 octane
all really vary depending on the petrol station though

some cars can create more power with higher octane levels, the advantage of running higher octane in cars designed for low octane is that it can prevent knocking..

SPEEDCORE
21-06-2004, 07:18 AM
Leaded petrol. = ~96 octane (correct me if i'm wrong)
Unleaded petrol = ~92 octane
Premium Unleaded = ~96 octane
Ultimate 98 (BP), Synergy 2000..eg... = ~98 octane
all really vary depending on the petrol station though

some cars can create more power with higher octane levels, the advantage of running higher octane in cars designed for low octane is that it can prevent knocking..

Engines that are designed for lower octane I highly doubt would suffer from knocking enough to warrent the use of PULP.

Save your money mytoycivic and just get ULP.

mytoycivic
21-06-2004, 09:44 AM
yeh and considering the car prices right now, i think i will stick with the ulp. cheers
:P