PDA

View Full Version : Clarion Speaker setup on 07 Civic

JChen
01-03-2007, 09:34 PM
Hi Guys

Being a noob, I need your opinions whether I am getting a good deal and if the setup is wrong. I just went to autobarn and I came across this clarion speakers SCM300
http://clarion.com/au/en/products/2006/audio/speakers/component_systems/SCM300/au-en-product-pf_1139306870286.html

and amplifier APX4240 http://clarion.com/au/en/products/2006/audio/amplifiers/APX4240/au-en-product-pf_1139306870204.html

I was told by the Autobarn guy that the SCM300 was selling for around $730 and that he will sell me the speakers for $249 being the last display set. He then quoted me the whole setup (speaker, amp, cables and installation) will cost $720. Thinking I got a good bargain ($249 for a $7++ speakers), I paid a deposit of $50.

Thank god I didn't pay the full amount when i realised that the speaker costs only $299 from the clarion website and not $7++ like he quoted.

So should I still go ahead with the installation? Is there anything wrong with the setup? The main bass driver will be fitted to the rear while the mid bass and tweeter in front.

Thanks guys for any advice!! :D

J2daW
02-03-2007, 01:00 AM
yeah 4 sure that'll work. will be good sound and u got plenty of power but might not be that loud, especially sound from the back. havent worked on new civic yet but there's 6"s in rear and 6" splits in front? ok you may have better sound buying a 2way split for the front and some coaxials or splits again for the rear. this will give much more sound (volume) and probably more enjoyable depending on your tastes. the amp will run either setup. pretty rude bout the $730 thing but hey...

D4rk4n63l
02-03-2007, 05:56 PM
Three way speakers need a custom installation... you're better of getting a pair of decent splits and an amp. I recommend Jaycar splits and amp or Pioneer TSC160R for a tad more $$$. Jaycar stuff is better than most brands 2-3 times the price so you get best value for your money. The splits and amp can be had for under $400 and if you are ready to spend $700+ you might consider a sub for a better sound (more complete freq response). If you do that I can guarantee you that you'll have a much better sound than that lousy 'autobarn' setup :)

D4rk4n63l
02-03-2007, 06:02 PM
Is there anything wrong with the setup? The main bass driver will be fitted to the rear while the mid bass and tweeter in front.

Thanks guys for any advice!! :D

Just realised about this...

three way component speakers were not designed to be run as a whole front/back setup. They are meant to create a flat (frequency wise) sound stage in one particular area by using different size drivers to produce their distinctive frequencies. If the woofer is placed at the back you will experience frequency gap in both positions (front and back). I can demonstrate this to you if your in Syd :wave:

PM me if you want more suggestion... :D

Fr3aKi3
02-03-2007, 06:42 PM
There are plenty of brands out there worth considering.

Boston Acoutics
Focal
Hertz
Morel
Infinity

They're only a few of the other brands on the market but they've got speakers which are priced similarly to the Clarion's so you might want to check them out.

aka_NSX
02-03-2007, 08:42 PM
can you trust them with the installation after they lie to you on the prices of the clarion ???

JaCe
04-03-2007, 09:03 AM
yeah 4 sure that'll work. will be good sound and u got plenty of power but might not be that loud, especially sound from the back. havent worked on new civic yet but there's 6"s in rear and 6" splits in front? ok you may have better sound buying a 2way split for the front and some coaxials or splits again for the rear. this will give much more sound (volume) and probably more enjoyable depending on your tastes. the amp will run either setup. pretty rude bout the $730 thing but hey...

I just thought I'd butt in and say in AUSTRALIAN Civics, there are no tweeters up front. The slots are empty- but if you're going with the "keepin' it stock" look, they're a good hiding spot for placing tweeters from aftermarket splits.

To topic creator, I personally wouldn't trust Autobahn with my car. The people there seem to be on the same tangent as Stratty Car Radios or JB. As for the speakers themselves, with my Civic06, I found mids-highs to be alright, it was the bass which was lacking so my first step was 4ch amp and a sub. Also did the Autobahn guy spec you with decent (or any?) line-outs for your stock headunit? No matter how good your speakers and amp are, if you use some el-cheapo $5 crap to go from headunit to amp, it'll still sound crap.

JChen
04-03-2007, 09:30 PM
I just thought I'd butt in and say in AUSTRALIAN Civics, there are no tweeters up front. The slots are empty- but if you're going with the "keepin' it stock" look, they're a good hiding spot for placing tweeters from aftermarket splits.

To topic creator, I personally wouldn't trust Autobahn with my car. The people there seem to be on the same tangent as Stratty Car Radios or JB. As for the speakers themselves, with my Civic06, I found mids-highs to be alright, it was the bass which was lacking so my first step was 4ch amp and a sub. Also did the Autobahn guy spec you with decent (or any?) line-outs for your stock headunit? No matter how good your speakers and amp are, if you use some el-cheapo $5 crap to go from headunit to amp, it'll still sound crap.

Haha....Thanks everyone for the input. The installation didn't go thru on Sat due to Autobahn not having a LOC to do the job. Quite frankly, I am totally clueless on the setup, didn't know about the LOC until they called at the last minute. That's the reason I never asked them about the LOC. I should go and ask them what LOC they will be using.

How do you differentiate between good and bad LOCs and which are the good brands?

Anyway, I will be going to Singapore for 2 weeks soon, so the installation won't take place till at least 3 weeks later and I have only paid a $50 deposit.
I may go to the Honda dealer in Sg to get a original civic fascia so I can get a double din HU instead. That might do away with the need to amp afterall as I already has a cheapo pioneer spilts in front and a cheapo coaxial for the rears. The pioneers sounded surprisingly worst than the factory stock speakers due to the fact that I am running them off the factory HU (I suspect).

Jace,
do you know of any place in Singapore where I can get parts/accessories for the 06/07 Civic? I thought I saw some mention of Sg styling website in Ozhonda forum somewhere but i can't find it.

Thanks.

JaCe
04-03-2007, 10:57 PM
When are u going to Singapore mate? I know a few good places u can go to get parts for our car... although bringing them back over here kindof negates alot of the cost savings. PM me if interested.

Stay away from websites mate- the place I bought from wasn't that great. U can get MUCH BETTER gear if u shop around and remember to negotiate. I brought down my grille from $170sgd to $120ish for cash&carry.

As for double din HU; it's quite uncommon in Singapore I believe. Good luck finding- you might need to custom order which could take a long time.

Sound gear is very cheap in Singapore, my cousins put MBQ Refs (incl install) in their car for the price I paid for my Discus (not incl install!).

One more thing, I'm using Alpine lineouts. They're pretty good from what I heard (from other ppl). Some places like JB use some unknown crap brand and the price difference isn't that much; especially when you consider how difficult it will be to replace them later on if you find out they're shate. But then I'm biased and sheltered- I went straight for the Alpines without ever trying out the crappy ones; since you can't really.. try before you buy?

*shrugs*

Anyway, msg me or something and I'll try to get u some details ASAP. I'll give u the place where I bought my grille from- they sell full Mugen kits as well as replicas, K&N, horn mods, voltage stabiliers, etc... and the whole block of shops in that area sell alot of parts. I saw quite a few modified Civic FDs there. The dark silver chrome grille looks pretty hot too.

gerard
19-03-2007, 09:00 PM
Reckon you can get it in singapore from the local honda agent.

http://civicfdclub.free-forums.org/civicfdclub-about1082.html&highlight=double+din