PDA

View Full Version : DC2 for Daily and Track Use

G_Vtec
02-03-2007, 06:49 AM
Mods: I know that this is more of a 'Track' question but I felt that I will probably get better replies in here :)

hi guys,

Just picked up a rock stock DC2r and am loving every single minute of it. Used to own a R32 GTR but I find that the DC2 is definitely in a class of its own. My plans are to slowly mod it for both daily and track use, as i had previously done on the GTR. I'm more of a handling person than rice or speed :p

For guys who do track work: Do you install an oil cooler or aftermarket sump? I had to do both on the GTR because the sump is notoriously 'famous' for its poor design but the design of the DC2 sumps seems fine to me. I have plans to run semis and I only do track during the colder months of the year. I would really like to hear any comments/reviews from here.

Appreciate it :thumbsup:

glenn

VTECACCORD
02-03-2007, 07:06 AM
Its cheap insurance to install both a baffled oil pan and the oil cooler if you are going to be tracking the R.

If your not tracking the oil cooler isn't really needed. I would get a gauge first.

Get the Mugen baffled oil pan its about $400. but its worth every penny, quality piece. BTW make sure u do your research with mods for this car, a lot don't make any difference motor wise, and the ones that do are expensive. So my advice is to do it right the first time and get the best.

DLO01
02-03-2007, 07:11 AM
Hey Man,

The DC2R sumps are fine for track use. If you are going to run semis then thats when would recomend getting a baffle plate intalled in your stock sump or get an aftermarket baffled sump.

Regarding Oil Cooler, read here:
http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=56707&page=3&highlight=oil+cooler

Q_ball
02-03-2007, 07:24 AM
Regarding mods for the DC2R, it basically comes track prepped.
Oil cooler is probably the only real thing under the engine bay that needs to be changed if you're an enthusiastic tracker.

I'd focus more on the tyres, brakes and even a quality catback as the stock muffler is hell restrictive!

Spunkymonkey
02-03-2007, 08:26 AM
As above, worry more about tyres, brakes, sussy....the dc2's can do happy laps around the track all day while the turbo cars overheat lol....just make sure you have some decent tyres or there won't be much left lol...

VTECACCORD
02-03-2007, 11:00 AM
$400 on mugen oil pan is cheap insurance compared to $6K for a new motor.

There are a few guys who have blown engine in the R's due to oil starvation.

Anyways

DLO01
02-03-2007, 11:11 AM
This is what I did. Fit baffle plate in stock sump. $23 from traders. :thumbsup:

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a265/DLO01/Misc/ResizeofDSC00052.jpg

VTECACCORD
02-03-2007, 12:08 PM
either way a baffled sump is good insurance. :)

DLO01 I don't understand why you didn't reccomend a baffled one when u urself are running a baffled sump ? :)

G_Vtec
02-03-2007, 12:09 PM
Awesome info guys. Really appreciated it.

I know the B18c are tough engines and DC2 comes track-prep but its always a good idea to keep the oil cool and consistently lubricating. Currently looking into getting a Spoon sump for that extra peace of mind on track. Besides, it does add another 0.5L of oil :p

DLO01
02-03-2007, 12:15 PM
either way a baffled sump is good insurance. :)

DLO01 I don't understand why you didn't reccomend a baffled one when u urself are running a baffled sump ? :)

I had the sump off and I had a baffle pate sitting there.
So I thought, the sump is off, might as well put the baffle in.

The stock sump has got 'light baffles' side to side, it has nothing front to back.

Yes it does not hurt improving on the stock sump. The R is designed with the track in mind from factory. Baffle plate or aftermarket sump is not needed unless you have a serious road holding car.

*edit* Same with a Oil Cooler. It is not needed unless you are a serious track person. If you do install a cooler, be sure to increase your oil pressure, and get one with a thermostat.

Benson
02-03-2007, 12:59 PM
IMO u dont need to install a baffle plate. Honda has designed a well balanced car already and the engine is really realiable. You dont need an oil cooler,as type R has an oil to water temp controller thingy at the back of the block.

I probably put some bolt-on mods like I/H/E and some coilovers.

mpd076-chuck
02-03-2007, 03:23 PM
I think the first and best `mod' for DC2R is don't skimp on tyres. Obviously Semi's for track and something like AD07, Falken RT615 or Michelin Preceda PP2 for street. Or Stock RE010's if you can get them.

Then use something like Ferodo DS2500 pads and Motul RBF600 brake fluid. Both increase resistance to fade. Stock pads and fluid fade after about 3 hot laps. Ferodo's and RBF600 can be good for up 7-8 successive hot laps.

A baffled sump ala DL001's post is helpful as proven by guys on Honda-tech.com measuring oil pressure. Not absolutely necessary, but helpful. On oil, changing every 5000km's and using a high quality oil is good too. All DC2R's use a little Oil at the track so dont be concerned, just remember to check it and fill it up. Oil cooler probably only necessary if you are going hard for long periods and dont/cant cool down afterwards. Same with Oil pump gear from Toda, it withstands constant high rpm operation better than stock.

For actual modifications, I'd start with a lightweight flywheel, then best extractors you can buy combined with a high flow cat. But it's great stock...

Do you know it's easy to strip the rear seats and carpet for track days? Just two clips and a bolt. Plus spare wheel and jack come out easy.

G_Vtec
02-03-2007, 05:50 PM
Im a big believer of the Hawk Performance Pads and Motul RBF600 brake fluid. At this stage, i will probably get a baffled sump and concentrate more on the suspension side. Ideally, i would like to take the car out onto track and see what sort of times i get and from there, slowly work up way up the mods starting from exhuast and clutch.

Handling and stopping are always first on my first :)

TODA AU
02-03-2007, 09:31 PM
This is what I did. Fit baffle plate in stock sump. $23 from traders. :thumbsup:

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a265/DLO01/Misc/ResizeofDSC00052.jpg

Just a quick note re sump baffle plate.
Using alloy rivets is not the best idea as they can shear off.
If this occurs the rivets can dislodge & then damage the piston under crown cooling jets.
I'd recommend you weld in these types of plates.
Cheers

Adrian

r`Geno
02-03-2007, 10:29 PM
I'd be interested to know how do you find the dc2r vs r32?

Advantages / Disadvantages?

Spunkymonkey
02-03-2007, 10:42 PM

Comparison between these two is very dependant on track...(also dependant on driver skill to)....

e.g. get a turning track like wakefield and it is very possible for dc2 to keep up with an r32...because the teg's handle quite well in the corners and as wakefield has a pretty short straight...don't lose too much ground...

if you get a track that has longer straights and less corners then it more than likely would be reversed.

I haven't driven an r32 but I've been able to keep up with both r32 and r33 skylines at wakefield before.

G_Vtec
04-03-2007, 07:50 AM

they are 2 completely different cars really....

The GTR was almost stock when I bought it. It had an exhaust and thats it. During the 1.5 yrs of ownership, i spent heaps of money and time building it up for daily and track use. The 1st and most important thing to do was to work on the sump because RB26 are known to die at corners with the stock sump. Heat was another issue and I had to get a Trust oil cooler kit to ensure that the car does not overheat itself. I also focused alot on suspension, replacing with aftermarket brace, coilovers, bars and arms. The car was probably balanced and scaled as well to ensure even weight distribution.

On the track, it drives nicely and i was able to get some good times but because the car is 4wd, the style of going in and out of a corner is very different from that of a RWD or FWD. The car is also very heavy (about 1.5 tonne) and this induces quite alot of understeering as well. Its a great car to have but at the end of the time, it can also be a very expensive car to own & maintain. I had to let it go because my wife and I were saving to buy a house

As for the Integra, I have not taken it out to the track yet but i have been dong plenty of 'spirited' driving on the public roads and I can say that I am loving every minute of it. Its feels like a proper driver's car and so responsive to the smallest turn of the wheel or step of the throttle. This is a dead stock car that rolled out from the factory and its really to give any driver a good time behind the wheel. The thing that surprises me most is that while the car being a FWD, there is not really massive understeering whenever i dived into a roundabout or corner. If i control the throttle well, the car just simply goes around without any signs of under/over steering. It feels light and very easy to correct and control. Only complaint I have is that I'm still trying to get used to the rock-hard recaros :o

so there you go, 2 completely different cars but are just as fun. I'm just glad that I am able to own a little part of the car history when I had the GTR and now the DC2r :rolleyes:

r`Geno
04-03-2007, 09:56 AM
Thanks for your input and welcome :thumbsup:

If you need any hints re: dc2r track work give me a shout.

PaZzMaN-R
06-03-2007, 09:43 PM
for track i would deffinatly invest in a oil cooler. i got one as i was told not to track without it!!!! like you said its a small investment over a rebuild! also a baffled sump as you mentioned. if you going to track hard and not want to stop after a few laps hit up a radiator aswell!
dont forget to also get oil pressure and temp gages to keep an eye on things.

when your first track day? let us know how it goes!

G_Vtec
07-03-2007, 07:05 AM
I'm preping the car up for a privately organized track day in May at Queensland Raceway. Have been out there heaps of time in the GTR and cant wait to do the same for the DC2r. I will most certainly post up my times and experience with the car in the 'Track Work' section :angel:

keeping the stock radiator for now as I have just ordered the Mugen fan switch and thermostat. I like keep the engine stock looking and look forward to matching or better the circuit times by other high-powered cars out there :p

cheers for all the info guys. You have been most helpful. clubitr.com has certainly been very informative as well :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Benson
08-03-2007, 09:00 PM
The ITR stock engine does not need an oil cooler. If u are going to start modding the internals then yes get one.. but for stock, there is no need for one... Its N/A !!

As for baffle plate, i get a little paranoid. You dont know if the weld is going to hold or not, or bits and pieces would fall apart therefore damaging ur engine which would cost more to repair.

IMO leave everything stock, and get some bolt-ons jsut to open her up abit. Get a aftermarket computer (hondata s300) and get it tune properly by a good tuner. You probably yield at least 115-120 KW atw. Add some decent coilovers and slap on some decent semi slicks. Get some good brake pads and upgrade to slotted rotors..

You shuld be now hitting easy 1:14 at wakiefield. Should be able to get 1:12's or 1:11's with this set-up

Happy Modding