PDA

View Full Version : Auto Transmission Cooling

BusterSonic12
03-03-2007, 08:29 PM
hey, euro '06 auto
what brands out there make transmission cooling kit for the euro? cos i really need it, every 4 laps, vtec drop out and rev limit lower to 5,500rpm. need one bad lol help me out please

Samo
03-03-2007, 10:03 PM
dat doesnt seem to be the auto heating problem ..
sounds more like a toqure converter matter here ..

autos normally has line to the end tanks of the radiator to cool them down ..

BusterSonic12
03-03-2007, 10:06 PM
dat doesnt seem to be the auto heating problem ..
sounds more like a toqure converter matter here ..

autos normally has line to the end tanks of the radiator to cool them down ..

so you believe it is the torque converter's issue? is there any coolin kit for that?

aaronng
03-03-2007, 10:07 PM
torque convertor uses ATF to work :)

Samo
03-03-2007, 10:12 PM
well im not good with my autos lol ..

but wat makes it hold gears for longer is shit to do with the torque converter ... its driven from oil pressure in the gearbox to flywheel much like a clutch .. but i guess it might have to to do with tunnung for it to hold the revs to max on each gear ...

wat u need to do is not rush into anything ...
do ur homework so u dont spend money on the wrong things ..

should talk to sumone who takes thier auto euro to the track and see wat they fink

BusterSonic12
03-03-2007, 10:21 PM
ya i guess lol not much auto euros on track around lol
because what happened today was, drive for the first session, every thing's good then start of 2nd session *using triptronic all the way/ all day* after the 2nd lap, the vtec die, so rev limit was only 5,500rpm, then after u cool it for 10min, u can run it again for mayb 3-4laps before resting again

well im not good with my autos lol ..

but wat makes it hold gears for longer is shit to do with the torque converter ... its driven from oil pressure in the gearbox to flywheel much like a clutch .. but i guess it might have to to do with tunnung for it to hold the revs to max on each gear ...

wat u need to do is not rush into anything ...
do ur homework so u dont spend money on the wrong things ..

should talk to sumone who takes thier auto euro to the track and see wat they fink

Samo
03-03-2007, 10:25 PM
then it cold be engine heating problem ... maybe

EG5[KRT]
03-03-2007, 10:51 PM
id definatelyg et a transmission cooler...

usually on auto cars they put one on when installing a tow bar...

coz of the extra heat caused by the extra load of towing stuff..

so if ur gonna track ur car.. ur better off getting a trans cooler and also a oil cooler as well..

because ur auto ecu sees the extra load on the gearbox and will go into safe mode due to the over heating issue...

BusterSonic12
03-03-2007, 11:13 PM
;1088185']id definatelyg et a transmission cooler...

usually on auto cars they put one on when installing a tow bar...

coz of the extra heat caused by the extra load of towing stuff..

so if ur gonna track ur car.. ur better off getting a trans cooler and also a oil cooler as well..

because ur auto ecu sees the extra load on the gearbox and will go into safe mode due to the over heating issue...

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: THAT's what the dude said on the track today lol so now, what brands make trans cooler? cos i never seen them... only see oil one. any brands out there please.

destrukshn
03-03-2007, 11:27 PM
autos already have transmission coolers.
it's inbuilt with with the radiator.
at the bottom of the radiator, you'll see 2 smaller hoses, inlet and outlet, that lead to the transmission.
that's your transmission cooler.
but you could always go aftermarket.
auto cars aren't meant to tracked, esp family ones.

BusterSonic12
03-03-2007, 11:30 PM
autos already have transmission coolers.
it's inbuilt with with the radiator.
at the bottom of the radiator, you'll see 2 smaller hoses, inlet and outlet, that lead to the transmission.
that's your transmission cooler.
but you could always go aftermarket.
auto cars aren't meant to tracked, esp family ones.

lol but track's damn fun :p thanks for your info...
but need some brand i don't even know who makes trans coooler

destrukshn
03-03-2007, 11:35 PM
maybe a engine cooler may suffice.
but you gotta consider, that the auto trans fluid gets alot hotter than engine oil, so make sure it's compatible before you do any purchasing.

destrukshn
04-03-2007, 01:09 AM
This is NOT CORRECT the part about working like a clutch is somewhat correct but the torque converter has NO BEARING on how long the automatic transmission stays in gear. That is a function of the valve body installed in the transmission, a small bit by the line pressure and now a days the ECU they all play a part in shift change rpm and speed.

And yes a transmission fluid cooler is a very good investment on any auto trans car that see hard driving and they are very easy to install.

But again high transmission temps do NOT cause your Vtec to "drop out" or "rev limit lower to 5,500rpm" that is more likely low oil pressure due to cornering or high OIL temperature.
is a engine oil cooler suitable for a auto transmission though?

also, what if the auto box on the transmission and temp sensor, that senses when it gets too hot, then puts the car into limp mode?
always possible.
lol.

BusterSonic12
04-03-2007, 08:02 AM
just makin sure people know, i use the triptronic mode.
so u suggestion this problem could be caused by engine oil overheatin? greddy make oil cooler right? do they make for trans cooler as well, anyone know?

EG5[KRT]
04-03-2007, 09:42 AM
try a radiator company.. or intercooler maker..

like PWR ?? KOYO ??

or u could even ask honda re: auto trans cooler because with tow kits they usually install trans cooler with the tow bar.. but just dont get tow bar installed :D

aaronng
04-03-2007, 09:47 AM
Engine oil temperature should be alright on the track. It would be the same for both Auto and Manuals. It could be the transmission, but this happened before going on track as well. I'd say check what the CEL code is first.

BusterSonic12
04-03-2007, 10:01 AM
;1088395']try a radiator company.. or intercooler maker..

like PWR ?? KOYO ??

or u could even ask honda re: auto trans cooler because with tow kits they usually install trans cooler with the tow bar.. but just dont get tow bar installed :D

thanks :thumbsup: finally some brands to look at LOL also know any JDM brand as well :p also it shouldn't be the engine oil? since AT n MT are the same?

yfin
04-03-2007, 11:14 AM
is a engine oil cooler suitable for a auto transmission though?

The car has one stock from the Honda engine diagrams I have seen

aaronng
04-03-2007, 11:16 AM
Stock cooler is very small. An upgrade would be to a tube and fin cooler.

BusterSonic12
04-03-2007, 11:35 AM
so what's an aftermarket brand except from PWR

destrukshn
04-03-2007, 11:39 AM
just ask the traders there, if engine oil coolers, are suitable for auto transmission coolers.
or get a transmission cooler kit from a MDX or CRV's i'm sure you can make it fit.

BusterSonic12
04-03-2007, 08:23 PM
any experience the B&m Hi-Tek Automatic Transmission Cooling System before? http://www.rocketindustries.com.au/descriptions.php?partno=BM70297