PDA

View Full Version : Cruise control issues

Euro76
04-03-2007, 08:44 AM
It seems that my cruise control does not work properly. When I drive 100km/h it's working however if I drive 80km/h or less it won't work even though I have switched on the cruise control. I press set and it won't work. Is this normal or if it is a default factory setting that the cruise control won't work if speed is below x km?

yfin
04-03-2007, 08:47 AM
It seems that my cruise control does not work properly. When I drive 100km/h it's working however if I drive 80km/h or less it won't work even though I have switched on the cruise control. I press set and it won't work. Is this normal or if it is a default factory setting that the cruise control won't work if speed is below x km?

What are the circumstances of you driving when you press "set". Your foot is not on the clutch, brakes or something like that? :D

I am sure there is a minimum speed - but it is going to be something low like 40kph - not 80kph.

Euro76
04-03-2007, 09:20 AM
What are the circumstances of you driving when you press "set". Your foot is not on the clutch, brakes or something like that? :D

I am sure there is a minimum speed - but it is going to be something low like 40kph - not 80kph.

Well I usually can set the cruise control when my foot is on the accelerator. Sometimes my foot was not on the accelerator, but did not brake or even on the clutch.

yfin
04-03-2007, 09:22 AM
Well I usually can set the cruise control when my foot is on the accelerator. Sometimes my foot was not on the accelerator, but did not brake or even on the clutch.

i haven't tried it but if you are accelerating that could be the issue. Why don't you try it when you are "cruising". That is the idea of cruise control.

Euro76
04-03-2007, 09:29 AM
i haven't tried it but if you are accelerating that could be the issue. Why don't you try it when you are "cruising". That is the idea of cruise control.

I wasn't accelerating, I kept my foot on the accelerator to keep the speed. Well should I do it when I was cruising then I switch on the cruise and then I press set?

yfin
04-03-2007, 09:31 AM
I wasn't accelerating, I kept my foot on the accelerator to keep the speed. Well should I do it when I was cruising then I switch on the cruise and then I press set?

Ok it should work in those circumstances. The cruise main is on and then press set. If that doesn't work at 80kph something is wrong.

Euro76
04-03-2007, 09:40 AM
I shall try it again. Hope it will work. Thanks for the quick response :)

aaronng
04-03-2007, 11:00 AM
If it doesn't work, bring it to the dealer. Mine works at a minimum of 40km/h

J-TODA
04-03-2007, 06:50 PM
If it doesn't work, bring it to the dealer. Mine works at a minimum of 40km/h

ye same here...u cant be pressing on clutch brake or accelerator for it 2 engage...and cant shift gears either if manual...

albii
04-03-2007, 08:19 PM
even if you only rest on the clutch pedal it wont work.

aaronng
04-03-2007, 08:23 PM
even if you only rest on the clutch pedal it wont work.

He says it works at 100km/h but not at 80km/h. And his foot is not touching the clutch nor brakes.

aaronng
04-03-2007, 08:24 PM

Check if it is possible to slightly lift up the clutch from its rest position. If it can, then the clutch switch might be too far out.

Euro76
04-03-2007, 09:14 PM
It's working now. That means the cruise control will work if I release my foot from accelerator and set the speed on cruise.

VirIIx
04-03-2007, 11:05 PM
You should be able to set a speed regardless if your foot is on the accelerator or not..

Like some, i've done lots of country driving where you change from terrible speeds of 110km down to 80km and then horrible 50/60km for small towns..

The Euro definately can hold cruise at 50/60 chugging along..

but that's my experience..

my_vtec77
08-03-2007, 03:42 PM
Hey Euro76, i had same experience too. Someone on OH told me i cant set the cruise control when the car going up or down the hill.

It's true..coz when the car going up or down, cruise control cant set the right speed.

If it still doesn't work on yours, better go back to dealer as every1 suggests.

ZEi20T
08-03-2007, 08:28 PM
lol hills wont affect activating cruise control. i do it all the time on the freeways, uphill downhill whatever. thats pretty funny tho!!

im putting money on clutch pedal or brake pedal

try this when you drive next; stick your foot UNDER the pedal to lift it up and then try to activate cruise. obviously do this with no other traffic around or the need to stop quickly.

if its working at 80km+ then it could be the gearbox/speed signal wrong. but then you would think your speedo would be out too.

Euro76
11-03-2007, 07:59 AM
Hey Euro76, i had same experience too. Someone on OH told me i cant set the cruise control when the car going up or down the hill.

It's true..coz when the car going up or down, cruise control cant set the right speed.

If it still doesn't work on yours, better go back to dealer as every1 suggests.

It's now working. It was on the straight road (not going uphill or downhill) that the cruise control occassionally not working.

sendok
11-03-2007, 12:29 PM
for me when i put my foot on, i still can turn the cruise control on... and i try only until 60 lowest, might try 40 :D

BraXta
12-03-2007, 04:39 AM
the cruise control has a limited speed to turn on at 40 kph
you can engage it goin up or down hill ... just if you down hill in a manual you cant downshift your gears and it will not accelerate at all and just ride it down.
I found once or twice on the highway goin 110kph that the cruise control actually turned itself off ... and no i didnt touch brake pedal or clutch pedal... i was resting on the rest pad and other foot restin on accelerator and yeh the Cruise control turned of...

that happened when i first bought the car tho, it hasnt happened for a long time now

aday
15-03-2007, 02:14 PM
I found once or twice on the highway goin 110kph that the cruise control actually turned itself off ... and no i didnt touch brake pedal or clutch pedal...

If your cruise is set, and you accelerate (via the pedal) beyond a given amount above the currently set speed, it will disengage. I think the amount may be 30 or 40km/h.

So, for example, if you set your cruise control to 60km/h, and then accelerate (via the foot pedal) to >100km/h (without touching the brake, or the clutch in a manual), then it should disengage.

I'm guessing this is a safety mechanism that assists in the event of some sort of malfunction.

BraXta
15-03-2007, 05:28 PM
well i didnt touch the go fast pedal either. =D

just got ot 110 set and let it cruise =D

aaronng
15-03-2007, 05:35 PM
If your cruise is set, and you accelerate (via the pedal) beyond a given amount above the currently set speed, it will disengage. I think the amount may be 30 or 40km/h.

So, for example, if you set your cruise control to 60km/h, and then accelerate (via the foot pedal) to >100km/h (without touching the brake, or the clutch in a manual), then it should disengage.

I'm guessing this is a safety mechanism that assists in the event of some sort of malfunction.

Interesting! I haven't tried that yet.

Suntzu
15-03-2007, 08:38 PM
My cruise gets funky if I click it a few times down then rapidly up. It goes much higher than the sum of the clickage. It used to scare me a bit bu now i know to take it easy. You donk fk with 8 bit computers. They get pissed when they run out of ram.

6 clicks fine.

12 click WTF the fk u up to bro~! Lol :)

Euro1011
24-02-2010, 10:30 AM
Check if it is possible to slightly lift up the clutch from its rest position. If it can, then the clutch switch might be too far out.

After many years of owning the Euro, now the cruise control is not working. I tried what Aaron suggested and hey it works. Now that i know the clutch switch is a bit out, what can I do now? Can I adjust it myself or should I just take it back to the dealer? The vehicle warranty has expired.
I'm not sure what the dealer would charge to do this job but I'm guessing not that cheap unless someone from Perth can recommend a good mechanic.

tony1234
24-02-2010, 04:20 PM
After many years of owning the Euro, now the cruise control is not working. I tried what Aaron suggested and hey it works. Now that i know the clutch switch is a bit out, what can I do now? Can I adjust it myself or should I just take it back to the dealer? The vehicle warranty has expired.
I'm not sure what the dealer would charge to do this job but I'm guessing not that cheap unless someone from Perth can recommend a good mechanic.
Your local mechanic should be able to adjust it.If it was me i'd have a go at it myself.

SPQR
24-02-2010, 10:34 PM
I think MT cars cannot take full advantage of the benefits of cruise controls. In the Euro AT, even if you use the shifter to go down or up the gears the cruise control stays engaged (not all brand of cars will do this). I use this when I am going down or up step hills. Also, engaging cruise control in the Euro AT just as you start going down a hill keeps the car pretty close to the set speed.

I use the cruise control all the time; even in the city where most streets are 40km/h. You can engage it just above 40km/h then tap it down to 40km/h.

When I am on an 80km/h section of road with the cruise set and then the speed limit changes to 100km/h, I just use the set button to speed up. On the grade logic AT, it sometimes changes down a gear to speed up then changes back up but the cruise stays on. Trying doing that in an MT car!

Overall, the Euro cruise control is amongst the best in cars in this price range. Is is quite precise.