PDA

View Full Version : 3rd gen "driveshaft??" freeplay?

rhys_main
05-03-2007, 11:02 AM
Hi all,
ever since i got my car i have noticed a tendency for it to 'buck' if you push, then let out, the accelerator quickly while driving. (any speed). <-- that would be considered normal, but it seems to keep bucking for a few seconds afterwood; almost as though there is a fair bit of 'freeplay' between the rmp of the engine, and the rotation speed of the wheels. (i hope that makes sense).
Its really just annoying, especially when shuffling in traffic, because it makes gear changes and engaging the clutch in general seemingly rougher than it could be, lol.
Any ideas on what could be causing this (and how much $$$ i would be looking at to get it fixed) would be greatly appreciated.
Afterthought: it is possible to drive the car smoothly, but i have to be very gentle with clutch engagement.
Thanks in advance!

armo90
05-03-2007, 12:43 PM
sounds like one or both of your cv's are bad. Not sure exactly what they cost to replace, probably around $250 a side. The CV's themselves aren't more $100 but these a couple hours labour involved...................

JasonGilholme
05-03-2007, 01:18 PM
Check your engine mounts man.

rhys_main
05-03-2007, 02:34 PM
sorry, stupid quetsion:o , but how do i check my engine mounts? what do i have to do? cheers for the info armo90 :thumbsup:
ps. is there any way to check my cv joints?
thanks again all

armo90
06-03-2007, 11:47 AM
to check your cv's just grab your driveshaft (axel) coming out of the back of the wheel and give it a shake. If their's 'freeplay' your cv probably gone. As far as engine mounts go get your head in their and have a close look. Front mounts go alot on ludes, especially if their lowered.

rhys_main
06-03-2007, 01:33 PM
thanks mate, when the engine mounts are bad is it just that the rubber is cracked/perished , or more like the mount itself broken?

armo90
07-03-2007, 06:33 AM
It'll jet be the rubber inside the mount

JasonGilholme
07-03-2007, 08:12 AM
I doubt it'll be CV's cause its having an effect on your clutch and gear changes.

Normally this is from excessive movement of the engine in the engine bay (Hence the engine mounts post)

It'll be the rubber inside the mount that is severly cracked/broken.

Drew
07-03-2007, 06:04 PM
If it makes like a clunking sound they its your engine mount

Could put a new mount in there or gut out the old one and fill it with like urethane

Very easy to do yourself http://www.prelude3.com/Engine/Solid%20motor%20mounts/solid%20motor%20mounts.htm

Bob
12-03-2007, 11:39 AM
IMO the 3g mounts are soft and a prone to a bit of wheel hop because of this.
It is not uncommon for them to crack the rubber and fail. Specifically the front and rear. The rear is the hardest to get to but can be done by removing the air box.
Solid mounts are better bit you will egt more chasis viration. It's a trade off.