PDA

View Full Version : Lowering & Comfort ?

Bez180sx
05-03-2007, 05:31 PM
Hey guys I was just wondering if its possible to lower a car (cd5 accord) and still have a comfortable ride..

I currently have a 180sx with king springs + standard shocks, im looking at getting an accord and i will most likly want to lower it but the reason im buying an accord is for a more comfotable ride..

So can anyone recomend a good spring/shock setup which can lower the car and still be nice the drive..

Cheers..

[ricer]
05-03-2007, 06:36 PM
i had whiteline springs on stock shocks and they were very comfortable

Bez180sx
06-03-2007, 07:15 AM
I guess the norm is about 2" ?
2" lower would probly be alright, i dont want it sitting on the ground.

mikeypoopi3
06-03-2007, 07:44 AM
dude! i've never tried any other setup but only what i had in my old car.

i had KYB exel-G shocks with 2" ALLSPRINGS/JUMBOs ( some people might not like these but i really liked it )

and it was the most comfortable ride ever.. it still had the comfort of stock ride height with less body roll.

if only i still had my car you could of tried it out

and for 2" lowered it probably wont be extremely low ( although sometimes 2" on some cars are faily low ) but i reckon it would be the ideal height for comfort/looks/performance. and 2" just makes it most places even with the mudflaps on. only sometimes it might scrape the exhaust(mine was stock) only because the accords wheelbase is longer then like civics n stuff.

heres a pic just to show you... i had 17's on it with 45 profile

http://www.ozaccord.com/forums/gallery/data/502/mikey2.jpg

Bez180sx
06-03-2007, 07:58 AM
Sounds good mikey, yeah im not realy looking for performance, i just hate the huge gap between the tyres and the guards..

Pumped
06-03-2007, 08:02 AM
Bez ftw :)

Xplodin
06-03-2007, 08:42 AM
Ohh Mike Sexy Car u got there.... What I guess bigger rims makes the different. I love it! Hey mike what rims are they you got on the car?

Anyways I'll have my input on this topic as well. I've got a CD5 droped about 2.5" to 3" all round. I've got coils D2's People bagg them but i actualy like them Suites my price range and i have no intention of going to tracks. What ever you do just dont go get ur stock springs resetted or choped. Get some decent sent of suss and you wont have to worry about anything. One other thing you gotta be lookin out for is the Camber. The height i'm sitting at i've got a -2.5 Degree Camber. Which i will fix when i get some money to get a camber kit. Which will cost around about $600 bucks :(

Anyways Good luck with it, but if i were you i'd be getting it done right the first time.

SiReal
06-03-2007, 08:50 AM
Just ensure u get a setup with comfortable spring rates. i'm sittong on koni yellows and h&R sports (25% stiffer than OEM), and its damn comfortable.

mikeypoopi3
06-03-2007, 10:49 PM
Ohh Mike Sexy Car u got there.... What I guess bigger rims makes the different. I love it! Hey mike what rims are they you got on the car?

Anyways I'll have my input on this topic as well. I've got a CD5 droped about 2.5" to 3" all round. I've got coils D2's People bagg them but i actualy like them Suites my price range and i have no intention of going to tracks. What ever you do just dont go get ur stock springs resetted or choped. Get some decent sent of suss and you wont have to worry about anything. One other thing you gotta be lookin out for is the Camber. The height i'm sitting at i've got a -2.5 Degree Camber. Which i will fix when i get some money to get a camber kit. Which will cost around about $600 bucks :(

Anyways Good luck with it, but if i were you i'd be getting it done right the first time.

hehe yeah thanks for the comment dude.

wheels are K-Speed Nitro's 17"rims tyres were 205/45 kumho ecsta tyres

BEZ well i wasnt after a full crazy performance set up. but what i had was a really comfortable daily driver/cruisy type of comfort. BUT it was also awesome to take to the twisties fanging it around the nationl park. but i guess it was the tyres as well that gave the overall performance.

2"inches all round is in the drivability height.
2 1/2" to 3" would look hot but expect to encounter some difficult manouvering.

but to make it look nice probably lower the front a little bit more then the back.

As Xplodin said about doing it right the first time. you should try and do it right the first time you wont regret it after that. cause lowering a heavy ass car on stock shocks will wear it down fast. and once thats gone you are gonna get into lots of problems.

and if you are taking it to the shop to get them fitted. you'd have to pay twice in labour, once for springs and once for shocks if you do it separately.

and the price of shock/springs combo would cost on average. 8-900 bux. and coilovers cost around 1200 for basic ones. so if you could save up it would be better to get the coilovers as you can adjust the height you desire.

just some of my opinions that i wanted to share but i was a stooge and went to get springs done a few months after i got my car hehehe. but lucky me the previous owner had some KYB shocks installed so i guess i didnt need to change my shocks.

but whatever you decide just gotta remember the pros and cons of whatever combo you decide.

TEMPTN
07-03-2007, 02:35 PM
if u want a comfy ride dont lower your car at all full stop
trust me i no ive lowered my euro 7inchs at the back :)

Merlin086
07-03-2007, 03:16 PM
I've lowered my euro 45mm on tein coilovers and have a more comfy ride than standard after some fine tuning. I can go a lot softer yet
Having had a Accord 98 V6 which has quite a soft ride, I found the euro a bit jarring over my local potholes, after having had a broken hip and pelvis.
So now my car is lowered AND rides a bit softer than standard.
My other option was to go the damping adjustable Koni yellows with lowering springs.

Merlin086
07-03-2007, 03:34 PM
Like a brick...................

Xplodin
09-03-2007, 07:04 AM
Can u even lower it 7"? Man thats like heaps!

mikeypoopi3
09-03-2007, 07:46 AM
7inches? WTF?!! wouldnt that be like nearly half the wheel inside the arch? :confused:

Toe_knee
09-03-2007, 09:58 AM
lets see some pic of ya accord lowered guys!!!

TEMPTN
09-03-2007, 01:03 PM
7inches? WTF?!! wouldnt that be like nearly half the wheel inside the arch? :confused:

YEP THATS RITE ITS TUCKING HALF THE RIMS :)

Merlin086
09-03-2007, 02:24 PM
But to answer the original question..

"I was just wondering if its possible to lower a car (cd5 accord) and still have a comfortable ride.."

...yes, but find a good match for springs to go with a quality damping adjustable shock, and don't drop too low as you will still need suspension travel, or else your car will handle like ..........a brick!
Best to search for what others are using on their cd5 accords and reading their comments.

sugz
09-03-2007, 02:47 PM
konis yellow and eibach springs...lowered around 3inches all round... bit soft but comfortable

Xplodin
09-03-2007, 02:51 PM
Here are the thread the guys were talking about. Most the photos now dont work so Meh.

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24988

BUN-135
09-03-2007, 10:37 PM
This is what it looks like on lowest setting for my TEIN SS coilovers from titanmotorsport.com cost me $1350 AUD

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w156/BUN-135/28012007067.jpg

mikeypoopi3
09-03-2007, 11:56 PM
is that the lowest setting?? i thought it would go lower......

hows the travel on the lowest on them dude? any good?

Xplodin
10-03-2007, 09:03 AM
And how far can u drive with that... Almost no where :P lol hahaha Yeah mine can go lower but i soo cant be stuffed showing. D2's Yo!

BUN-135
10-03-2007, 10:48 AM
is that the lowest setting?? i thought it would go lower......

hows the travel on the lowest on them dude? any good?

No you can feel every bump, i have now raised it 1 inch from the lowest setting cause it was a bitch going ova humps. The ride is very good now since i raise it.

mikeypoopi3
10-03-2007, 08:21 PM
i see nice nice....

well umm........... any chance of letting me umm.... borrowin them off you? ;)

jeki
10-03-2007, 08:41 PM
if you looking for spring, i heard H&R / Eibach will looks lower, and comfort :)

TEMPTN
13-03-2007, 08:44 AM
This is how low u should lower ur car :)

Pumped
13-03-2007, 08:47 AM
looks really practical :p

TEMPTN
13-03-2007, 08:49 AM
Just the right height

Bez180sx
13-03-2007, 08:53 AM
Thanks for the help guys :)

mikeypoopi3
13-03-2007, 01:44 PM
holy crap man... thats so friggen high its like a monster truck or somthing...

dump that car on its arse man~!! geezz what are you thinkin?

ghehehee

Xplodin
13-03-2007, 02:23 PM
Eay Mikey, Wat happened to ur car??? Did u sell the rims? I wanna get rims like that :D

IAMVTEC
13-03-2007, 02:27 PM
You said want an Accord because of the comfort factor, yet you then say you want to lower it... WTF?? Thats like buying a red car because you like red... then turn around and paint it blue.

But .. you know... lower the car, the lower the IQ

Pumped
13-03-2007, 02:29 PM
You can have your car lowered without being "uncomfortable" n00b

He didnt say he wanted a more comfortable ride then stock just asked if it was possible with an Accord to do so!

aaronng
13-03-2007, 02:38 PM
Yes it is possible. Choose a slightly stiffer spring rate but similar damping rate to stock.

TEMPTN
13-03-2007, 04:01 PM
Thats not a nice thing to say about people with lowered cars

Everyone with lowered cars u have low IQ?
99% of people on the fourms have lowered

And ur cars a 4wd so u have a hi IQ? "BWEEB"

You said want an Accord because of the comfort factor, yet you then say you want to lower it... WTF?? Thats like buying a red car because you like red... then turn around and paint it blue.

But .. you know... lower the car, the lower the IQ

sugz
13-03-2007, 05:19 PM
Temptn, are u on bags?

Vinnie
13-03-2007, 07:19 PM
Temptn, are u on bags?

with that drop ude hope so... ;)

neway, i thought ide spread IAMVTEC's words of wisdom on the subject :p V

IAMVTEC
13-03-2007, 09:49 PM
Thats not a nice thing to say about people with lowered cars

Everyone with lowered cars u have low IQ?
99% of people on the fourms have lowered

And ur cars a 4wd so u have a hi IQ? "BWEEB"

Im sorry to offend anybody with that comment. It was a generalisation from me, but generally speaking, the people that ride around with ridiculously aftermarket lowered street cars are not Nobel prize winners or even relatively successful people.

Bodykits, exhaust tips, stickers... all that Im fine with and I like. Nothing wrong with modding your car to look better. But when you start to sacrifice practicality, thats a sign of low IQ.

TEMPTN
13-03-2007, 10:59 PM
Temptn, are u on bags?

Nope not on bags, cant find any bags that can go low enough for me yet, still in the process with searching

TEMPTN
13-03-2007, 11:10 PM
Im sorry to offend anybody with that comment. It was a generalisation from me, but generally speaking, the people that ride around with ridiculously aftermarket lowered street cars are not Nobel prize winners or even relatively successful people.

Bodykits, exhaust tips, stickers... all that Im fine with and I like. Nothing wrong with modding your car to look better. But when you start to sacrifice practicality, thats a sign of low IQ.

How can you say that any of us arnt successful people, how do u know that im not a lawyer or any thing successful.

I drive a lowered car which in fact is deck on its arse, so does that means ive a low IQ and unsuccessful??

people modd their cars the way they want. people sacrifice height so it looks good, some people might sacriface looks and work on power , so be it . in the end its their choice

Who are you to say that people with lowered cars have low IQ

IAMVTEC
14-03-2007, 08:18 AM
How can you say that any of us arnt successful people, how do u know that im not a lawyer or any thing successful.

I drive a lowered car which in fact is deck on its arse, so does that means ive a low IQ and unsuccessful??

people modd their cars the way they want. people sacrifice height so it looks good, some people might sacriface looks and work on power , so be it . in the end its their choice

Who are you to say that people with lowered cars have low IQ

I said my theory was only generally speaking. Of course there are exceptions, If you are successful and choose to lower your car absurd.. then thats great, you have character. I like that.

But the majority of successful people dont. Ive seen what was in the corporate carparks of some of the bigger corporations over here and in China. No surprise no lowered cars there(Im not saying there werent Porsche or sports cars that come lowered stock for a purpose, Im saying there were no "fully dumped" Accords and teh like.

I dont want to sound like a prick or that saying Im better than rest of you guys. Because Im not and Im a ricer as well. I just hate the stupidly lowered cars.

Pumped
14-03-2007, 08:22 AM
Thats juz cause tehre lowerd Akkordz r 2 low 2 get ova teh speed bumps :p

But i agree, i like lowered cars to a point but when there unpractical and you cant take them anywhere for the fear of them scraping etc it just becomes pointless

IAMVTEC
14-03-2007, 08:23 AM
For evidence just check out this thread named "lowering"
http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35987

Note the terrible spelling and grammar from the guy who wanted to lower his car.

Pumped
14-03-2007, 08:25 AM
lol :)

"ive got 17inch cromiez i should be ritee wid 4incherz riding low looks hot :P"

gots teh 17inch chrmiz bro4

Spoon-Accord
14-03-2007, 09:23 AM
if u get kings or something.. they are shocking..

spend abit more. and enjoy the ride :D