PDA

View Full Version : Raising Back of Hood with washers?

Cold Fusion
06-03-2007, 09:33 PM
hey i was wondering about how people raise the back of there bonnet with washers, and does anyone have any pics? im thinking about doing it to mine, does it give any good effect? or is it all looks?

Thanks

kid_dynamite
06-03-2007, 10:21 PM
You don't need pics mate, it's as simple as you say - washers on the bonnet hingers.

It's supposed to let radiated heat out of your engine bay easier. Pretty easy to throw on a couple of washers, see how it goes, if you don't like it then take them off..

ACTI0NMAN-1
06-03-2007, 10:37 PM
when you drive warm air is drawn out the bottom of your engine bay. only at a standstill or low speed <20k will the washer trick make a difference.

As far as looks go, if you have a clean engine bay it looks ok. but once to get a bit of dirt and dust it looks aweful alone the sides where the bonnet covers

just my 2 cents.

Samo
06-03-2007, 10:49 PM
on some cars it looks like u hit the front and the back got lifted lol

Byatch
14-03-2007, 02:51 PM
I ran a risen bonnet on my old toyota for a while. It had a 2-fold effect:

1) It improved cooling, which was important at the time. Cash was tight there while i was at uni, and i couldn't afford to fix it straight away. grabbing 44 washers and some longer bolts tided me over.

2) Performance suffered, as the air pressure in the engine bay was reduced somewhat. Remembering that the toyota had an open air filter atop of the carby.

I guess it depends on the exact dynamics of your car and engine bay design. Given it's not a permanent modifiaction, it's not illegal so far as i'm aware, and it's cheap (like the budgie), i'd say give it a try.

XB-16-AX
14-03-2007, 03:47 PM
lifted bonnets are fully sick!!!

ive done it to my concerto and after a hard vtec fun runs the engine is still cool..

doesnt heat up as much ...even though ive got a CAI ..

just be sure that its not way to high ...and obviously some "coppers" say its defect ...so watch out!

incoming
14-03-2007, 04:34 PM
FYI:
raised bonnet IS a defect

edit: in NSW anyways

XB-16-AX
14-03-2007, 08:41 PM
FYI:

CORRECT - IT IS A DEFECT

but if u can get away with it, why not, as long as you not racing every fool out there on the road!!! :)

Cold Fusion
15-03-2007, 04:33 PM
im doin it tomorrow! :D

ill get pics :)

EK4R
15-03-2007, 04:43 PM
you know it would be pain the ass to wash your car if you dont want water getting in. and with water restriction you kinda have to do your washing at a car wash place with a gun.

daniel b16a
16-03-2007, 03:47 AM
well i juz raised mine with a few washers and its not that bad...its easy asss...juz remove current screw at bonnet...add more washers and walla ur raised bonnet!!

XB-16-AX
16-03-2007, 01:41 PM
10points for the raise dup bonnets out there!! :wave:

Boban
17-03-2007, 11:10 PM
FYI:

QLD too, well i didn't get a defect for it, they (police) let me go with a warning

Improves cooling +
Water gets in when it rains/when you was the car -

vinnY
22-03-2007, 10:11 AM
the reason why its a defect is because if you're involved in a crash, since its raised, it won't hook itself into the chassis and only crumple the front
it'll just go through the windscreen which is bad

do it with caution guys, don't muck around with safety