PDA

View Full Version : is it worth keeping my car? or just go 4 a newer one?

mytoycivic
20-06-2004, 08:09 PM
as some of you may know, i have a 88 civic sedan. quite a nice little car. i am considering an engine conversion (b16a) but i am unsure whether it is worth doing that to this car or should i go for like an early - mid 90s vtec???[/img]

2ds
20-06-2004, 08:22 PM
I'd say it's worth keeping, really depends on if you like the shape of the car, how it is to drive, etc etc etc.

if the only thing you don't like about the car is not enough power then definatley go the engine swap. if you have other problems with the car. maybe it's time to sell it and move on

-2ds

Fredo
20-06-2004, 08:23 PM
My personal choice certainly would be to go for a newer model but that's me.

It's your choice though as either option will cost you a bit. it would be unique to do a b16a conversion in an older car such as yours i would imagine.

But yeah i like modern high tech goodness

LatinoHatchCrap
20-06-2004, 08:24 PM
i would sell it and get an eg or ek hatch and then do a swap. reasons:
- aftermarket support
- newer car
- more sexy than a sedan

MTX BOY
20-06-2004, 08:29 PM
If you like the shape of your car and the car in general and all you want is more power, then definitely just go for the engine swap.

Nuttz
20-06-2004, 10:09 PM
get a new one for the luxuries and the style
88 civics are too boxy!!

skoota
21-06-2004, 12:44 AM
New one for sure

m2h
21-06-2004, 08:47 AM
sell the sedan and buy the hatch and do a swap :D i use to have a 88 civic hatch, i love it very much, its so light and very sensitive on the road, although i am now driving a newer and better car (93integra vtir), but really, compare to the little civic, i still think the civic have more fun driving around, just the power isnt enough :evil: if u swap a b16a on such a light car, it really runs ! and from what i search on the net at tht time when i own the car, general comment said the EF/ED civic hatch have the best handling over all range of the newer civic (except type R), its design at its time is also a big jump on honda, since that series of civic is the first car in honda to use double wish bone and 1st gen DOHC VTEC engine, its the mother of double wish bone and VTEC :P
well....... i still very miss my car, if there is a chance that i could found one geniune EF9, i will just pay the cash and get her home :twisted:

AUSVTEC
21-06-2004, 09:19 AM
If you have around 5 or 6 grang to do the conversion do it, ive done it and i am very happy with my little sedan......

And there is a lot of after market support for the 4th gen's you just have to search.

mytoycivic
21-06-2004, 09:43 AM
thanks for ur feedback. i love the look of my car, and the handling is really good for an old car. and luxury? i got it...these cars were awesome comapared to others in their class, like power windows, central locking and air con. i know a newer one would be good, but i think the conversion would be nice and uinique. anyway thanks for the help everyone

McChook
21-06-2004, 11:47 AM
I think an 88civic sedan would be a killer sleeper...
I know AUSVTECs sedan is a killer... Really don't see it coming....

Kit
21-06-2004, 12:49 PM
I would buy a new one.
reason being, newer components in the newer car, safer, and better resale value when you finally sell it one day.

Plus the older car will have older mechanicals, so maintenance will be more expensive over time

jords
21-06-2004, 01:15 PM
It depends, if you love the shape and just cant let go then keep it, or if your over it sell it and buy somthing newer. The later models have more after market mods!!

ML
21-06-2004, 04:20 PM
first off latinohatchcrap, sedans are plenty sexy

yeah man engin swap for shure :dare to be different ;)

mytoycivic
21-06-2004, 06:40 PM
thanks man i need a bit of encouragement sometimes. i know that a lot of people like the new ones, but right now i only know of one other person who has done the conversion. well one more thing if you could plz, does anyone know how i go about getting a front cut? and where from too???
cheers

MTX BOY
21-06-2004, 06:46 PM
Were bouts are you located?

AUSVTEC
22-06-2004, 09:29 AM
pm me mytoycivic i have all the info you will ever need for the 4th gen sedan.....

rly1
22-06-2004, 03:29 PM
Keep ur car man! I'm right in the same position as u, apart that I have an 89 civic hatch, I love it so much that I'm not even thinking of selling it one day so if u share the same feeling towards ur car than me towards mine then just keep it and swap engine.
I'm planning on getting a swap too, B16A r pretty cheap from what I heard but there still quite a few people that does it, that's Y i'm still considering what other engine I could put it my car. With ur swap, imagine the look of other ****s when they see ur old car overtaking them... :) that's priceless

LatinoHatchCrap
23-06-2004, 03:36 PM
first off latinohatchcrap, sedans are plenty sexy

yeah man engin swap for shure :dare to be different ;)
LOL :D !

mytoycivic
23-06-2004, 10:08 PM
i know someone who can import me a 96 civic vtec for like $4000 coz he knows someone over there...in japan that is...but 15 yr rule and compliance i dunno >>>???<<<

saboteur
24-06-2004, 01:07 PM
(in Starsky and Hutch voice, talking about engine swap):

Do it!

mytoycivic
25-06-2004, 08:25 AM
yeh i will do it. i am going to take the plunge. i know i wont get my money back in the long run but i am not looking to get my money back i am lookin for something unique and sweet. thanks for all the feedback i really appreciate it... :P