PDA

View Full Version : DC5 - need suggestion to gain more power

denot
09-03-2007, 03:45 PM
Hi all,

My big bro just got a 2005 DC5 Luxury Ed (which comes with semi-auto transmission) with a very good price.

The thing is, we dunno how to improve the performance of an auto car... I read the thread about "bang your bucks" by Toda AU, but it seems that he talking only the manual version.

Can any1 help us on suggesting what part should we take to improve the performance?

thanks

X8TEENX
09-03-2007, 04:51 PM
header, catback and cold air intake....which can fit on ur semi-auto dc5 :D

Chi
09-03-2007, 05:35 PM
turbo !

RyDC5S
10-03-2007, 12:06 AM
Weight reduction - if you are willing to go that far for a more favourable power to weight ratio.

sitta
10-03-2007, 09:09 AM
definitely cold air intake + exhaust, just wondering, how much do headers usually cost?

X8TEENX
11-03-2007, 02:37 PM
most of the people argue that xforce can't really giv u a good hp gain (saw it from dyno run from somewhere else in ozhonda forum) and most of the people would say go for maximworks and toda, they both good headers cause i had 1 :D and it cost me 1300 shipped

i think one of my fren is selling his 2nd spoon header which is good header as well..if u had interested bout it just pm me :D

Tofu
11-03-2007, 08:07 PM
I use to have an auto dc5.

I had Injen CAI, TypeR header+cat+exhaust (Aus spec) and it still didn't feel like it was enough.
I then bought the Fujitsubo Powertter exhaust and it made little to no difference to the power besides noise. I also think if i went and bought a race header like the Toda or Maximworks, i would probably only get another 5kw at the wheels from the auto, which is a big waste of money.

So I spent my money on suspension mods, and believe me, after suspension mods on the semi-auto dc5, it makes it so much more fun to drive.

Oh, and also learn to drive in semi-auto mode, because you can rev to fuel cut off in 1st if your heart desires, so once you are using the entire rev range, the power would perhaps feel there is enough to use.

air23box
11-03-2007, 11:00 PM
I/H/E is all the basic you need...but since you only have the base model....there is not much gain you can get from there.....ECU tune is the best to gain more power.....as we almost running the same engine and the ECU pre-programmed is what giving you low output.....something like hondata, E-manage or even the new V-manage will do the job....but there is no point putting a turbo in an NA car......
For header I can manage to get toda 1100 shipped....but M-bits or Mugen is the best you can get....consider you pay for a toda header which cost you RRP$1300 in Aus plus a good high flow cat which cost you another good $700-$800 bux....plus welding and installation you are looking at 2.2k already...but if you can get mugen or M-bit for like 2.6-2.7k landed....if for me I will go mugen......save you all the hazzle.....just my 2 cents....

denot
12-03-2007, 10:06 AM
Thanks all for the reply...

so far we come up with something like:
- light rims
- CAI (Injen?)
- Suspension
- Header (Toda?)
- Exhaust (suggestion? - beside mugen)

Any suggestions?

denot
12-03-2007, 11:33 AM
possibly expand on the following
with low budget, medium, high

Ok.. quick question prusso... is "Heavy Duty Clutch" can be use in Auto transmission?

denot
12-03-2007, 01:51 PM
no the automatic tranmission doesnt use a clutch

That's what I thought as well

ill start with my limited knowledge lol

base dc5 automatic
cold air intake - injen
headers - toda, buddyclub, spoon, mugen, xforce, type r
exhaust - toda, powergetter, mugen, buddyclub, spoon, type r
ecu - hondata, apexi vafc/neo

Thanks for these... now anyone kno how much power will it gain if I follow this mod?

Tofu
12-03-2007, 07:25 PM
with those mods at best around 115kw atw with VAFC2 for the auto DC5...
note i said AUTO...
a stock DC5R does that much and TypeS even more.

the auto dc5 is very very very limiting...note the x3 "very"
I have spent heaps of $$$ and time just trying to get what i can out of the auto and come to think of it, it just wasn't worth it...now i have a TypeS, i know for a fact that no matter what i did on the auto within reasonable spending, there was just no way to make it drive close to how a Stock TypeS or TypeR does.

ALSO....there is no Hondata Kpro for the auto DC5 (k20a3 engine)
There is a reflash available for the auto dc5, but it's just not feasiable to do it for australian auto dc5 owners.

TODA AU
12-03-2007, 08:40 PM
DC5 Base model – low budget
#1 – Lightweight flywheel
#2 – Heavy duty clutch
#3 – DC5R 6 Speed Gearbox & Lower final drive (Manual only) - Includes LSD
#4 – Intake – CAI's deliver superior results.
#5 – Header + stainless metal high flow catalyst + cat-back system
NB: DC5R/S aftermarket & factory cat back can be used on base model, however when std header is retained, the rear of the std cat must be modified to suit. Most exhaust shops will have no problem with doing this.
Further modifying the airbox – Hondata style also adds a little power…
For those who aren't sure, automatic models do not have flywheels or clutches
After you've got the above. then add ECU.

For drag & track use, the base model does respond well to a shot of NOS too... :)
Though illegal, it does work well.

denot
13-03-2007, 08:33 AM
DC5 Base model – low budget
#4 – Intake – CAI's deliver superior results.
#5 – Header + stainless metal high flow catalyst + cat-back system

So this is all for the Auto model?

Kyo
14-03-2007, 10:12 PM
DON'T Waste $ on performance MOD, go full out on the look MOD.

This is speaking from my personal experience plus what Tofu said.

I brought my DC5 Luxury Semi-Auto brand new in 06', so it's the exactly same car as your bro's. (got banned from driving manual, DC5 Lux is the only choice for me).

3 Month after I got the car I put in JDM DC5R header and custom catback, K/N air filter all work done by Hakan at Northmead Performance Exhaust (top bloke:thumbsup:). I tell you, it's waste of money and time, I can hardly feel any gain and the car exhuast note is shity in auto mode (it's noise not tone). The only noticable increase is if I put it in Sports-Shift and rev it to 5k in gear 1&2, now it's almost cut-off limit. I was planning it do up intake, high flow cat and now realise I'm only gona waste more money for little gain. (about 1 or 2kw)

So my suggestion is, if you got a base DC5, especially an AUTO, don't WASTE money on performance MOD. I would put money on suspension, nice set of bodykit and rims. If you really want to MOD it, save the MOD money, sell the AUTO and buy a real manual TypeS/R. It'll have more power in stock form than ur MOD AUTO.

That's my 2c from the heart. :thumbsup: I wish I'm allowed to drive a manual again.

Kyo
14-03-2007, 10:31 PM
So this is all for the Auto model?

Just to answer your Q and this applies to 05' onwards facelifted DC5.

TypeS and Base (Luxury Model) have DIFFERENT exhaust system.
Base Manual and Base Semi-Auto have the SAME exhaust system.
The majority of aftermarket catback eg. Powergutter are made for TypeS. Modification to the cat or the exhaust unit need to be made to suit the Base DC5, usually workshop will fabricate an adaptor pipe to link them.
The best way to MOD a Base DC5 exhaust system is to swap it's header to a TypeS/JDM TypeR/Aftermarket DC5R header (bolt on header swap) with a high flow cat so then you can put on one of those aftermarket catback for best result.

But the truth is, it'll cost you more and not much gain for an AUTO.

denot
15-03-2007, 08:55 AM
thanks Kyo!

I've told him (my bro) about this before, and he said doesnt matter... Now I think he will believe what I sed :p

Anyway, thanks every1 for helping...

eriktufa
15-03-2007, 11:43 AM
Base = Turbo/Supercharger :D

sean_gan
18-03-2007, 11:37 AM
i live in melbourne, and i have an auto DC5 where can i go to tune the ECU and how much does it cost

didz
19-03-2007, 09:38 AM
Base = Turbo/Supercharger :D

QFT!!!

jacky604
22-03-2007, 12:03 PM
my friend got one and he changed full exhaust, air filter, ecu(i think that one not useful) and wheel!