PDA

View Full Version : EG Civic Exhuast

SiR JDM
21-06-2004, 11:08 AM
I was with my friend gettin his exhuast done on his GSR the other day, and i asked how much it would cost for a EG Civic hatch. He thought about it for awhile, n he said to me.. well.. your looking at 7 mandrel bends!

7? Is this true? if so.. is there any other way to go about it? He said somethin about hanging it right over the fuel tank but said dont do that?

Does anyone know of or have done any better (also cheaper :P) ways to fit a 2.25" exhuast on a civic EG?

egSi
21-06-2004, 11:17 AM
I was with my friend gettin his exhuast done on his GSR the other day, and i asked how much it would cost for a EG Civic hatch. He thought about it for awhile, n he said to me.. well.. your looking at 7 mandrel bends!

7? Is this true? if so.. is there any other way to go about it? He said somethin about hanging it right over the fuel tank but said dont do that?

Does anyone know of or have done any better (also cheaper :P) ways to fit a 2.25" exhuast on a civic EG?

what? it should be like 200 not including muffler.

if you want a cheap muffler you should check other posts because there are guys on here that can get you a muffler cheap.......like me :P

but seriously that it shouldnt be that expensive. ;)

justinfox
21-06-2004, 11:29 AM
It's probably been covered before but someone please speak up about this. I am curious as I have a SOHC Vtec and want to get a complete exhaust system manifold to muffler.

Kit
21-06-2004, 11:34 AM
one other thing to note is that 2.25 inch mandrel bends are alot more expensive than 2 inch mandrel bends. so it all gets factored in when you are getting the exhaust custom made.

SIKCVC
21-06-2004, 01:34 PM
2.25 seems large for a mandrel bend. I thought most people say no larger than 2 for a mandrel bent zorst. and 7 bends? Maybe if you did a few loops around the fuel tank, having seen mine and a few other aftermarket I'm sure theres only 2 or 3.

$200 for a mandrel bent zorst without muff... well I dunno about that, For a press bent yeah but going by the post last week and the week before that and the week before that, most guys have been paying $300+ for press bent 2.25 with muffs.

carbine
21-06-2004, 01:54 PM
GSi Doesn't the eg share the same exhaust layout? should be the same

http://imagestation.com/picture/sraid120/p3581633172af22b3df0baab1bda7f540/f8577069.jpg

EG, 94+ integra hayame exhaust

Thats alot of bends :(

Kit
21-06-2004, 02:05 PM
2.25 seems large for a mandrel bend. I thought most people say no larger than 2 for a mandrel bent zorst.

Yeah, I think so too, personally I wouldn't go over 2 inch mandrel bent for a civic.

However, a few people on here use 2.25 inch.

I've used both 2 inch and 2.25 inch mandrel bent custom cat back on a civic and would go the 2 inch if i had to do it again.

SiR JDM
21-06-2004, 02:30 PM
why would u go the 2" rather than the 2.25" ?

SIKCVC
21-06-2004, 04:52 PM
2.25 mandrel bent doesn't create enough back presure but 2.25 press bent creates about the same with similar restrictions as a 2" mandrel bent.

Kit
21-06-2004, 07:45 PM
2.25 mandrel bent doesn't create enough back presure but 2.25 press bent creates about the same with similar restrictions as a 2" mandrel bent.

Thats actually not the case, back pressure is bad for power, the less back pressure the better in an exhaust.

Rather its because a small displacement NA 4cyl engine simply cannot produce enough exhaust gases at low to medium rpm to scavange effectively with the larger diameter pipe. Hence the loss of low to mid range torque and therefore tractability.

some people argue that a 2.25 in mandrel bent exhaust makes more power at high rpm, I have found that 2 inch and 2.25 power is very similar, but everywhere else, the 2inch was better, and thats where my engine spends 95% of its life, at low to mid rpm.

i found there wasn't a need to put 2.25 inch on a EK4, so there would be even less need to put it on a civic without VTEC (i.e. a B16a)
and even more pointless if you aren't running extractors.

So, i would go 2 inch mandrel bent, or 2.25 inch crush bent if you are on a budget. but would take the 2 inch mandrel as it will have smoother gas flow.

Chris

SiR JDM
22-06-2004, 03:05 AM
i found there wasn't a need to put 2.25 inch on a EK4, so there would be even less need to put it on a civic without VTEC (i.e. a B16a)

The b16a is a DOHC VTEC engine ... and as far as i know, the EK4 uses the b16a engine ..

From what ive read and heard from various people, 2.25" is the best size to go for an engine with the power of a b16a

Does anyone know some good and reliable exhuast places to get a 2.25" mandrel bent system for a EG civic (b16a) ? Any recommendations would be appreicated thanx!

Kit
22-06-2004, 09:37 AM

The b16a is a DOHC VTEC engine ... and as far as i know, the EK4 uses the b16a engine ..

From what ive read and heard from various people, 2.25" is the best size to go for an engine with the power of a b16a

Does anyone know some good and reliable exhuast places to get a 2.25" mandrel bent system for a EG civic (b16a) ? Any recommendations would be appreicated thanx!

yeah thats what I said, there would be even less need to put it on a civic without vtec (that is, without a b16a)

anyway, at the end of the day, do what you want. no point in basing a decision on something you read from me over the internet.
But its important to try and understand why something is the case before doing rather than just taking someone's word for it

one thing I do keep on reminding people is that Mugen don't make a cat back for the EK4, they only have the rear twin loop muffler. Mugen believe that the stock B pipe is good for 200hp before it becomes a restriction to power (the stock exhaust is 2 inch press bent)

I had an EK4 for 4 years, and did a lot of chopping and changing and those comments are just what i found to be true on my civic.

p.s. if you do decide to go 2.25inch, i strongly recommend getting some extractors too

SiR JDM
22-06-2004, 11:54 AM
ahhhk... thanx for the info..

I didn't mean to dispute what you wrote, i guess i just read it wrong.

I plan on getting extractors, just not straight away. Thats why im leaning towards the 2.25" so when i go get the extractors i wont have to change the piping as well...
I was also thinkin of gettin the twinloop replica by Xforce .. has anyone used this and found anything wrong with it? Is it restictive?
I know sound wise its pretty quiet, and im ok with that.
I heard from one source (except he owns an STi so i dont know how reliable it is) that it does give gains in mid and top end, and low end remains same as stock? Any one got ne input about this?
As mentioned, the 2.25" mandrel may not create enough backpressure, but with the twinloop of the xforce replica muffler give the backpressure needed, that is lost thro the higher flow bends?

Kit
22-06-2004, 12:12 PM
I heard from one source (except he owns an STi so i dont know how reliable it is) that it does give gains in mid and top end, and low end remains same as stock? Any one got ne input about this?
As mentioned, the 2.25" mandrel may not create enough backpressure, but with the twinloop of the xforce replica muffler give the backpressure needed, that is lost thro the higher flow bends?

as I said before, back pressure is BAD for power production, in any exhaust system you want as little back pressure as possible.

the argument for having the smaller (2inch) piping is because the engine can't put out enough exhaust gases at low rpm to scavange effectively, hence a loss in power until it can scavange effectively.