PDA

View Full Version : B18C Rebuild Questions/Project

Sp00ny
10-03-2007, 10:37 PM
[Deleted] - Old Thread

todas**t
10-03-2007, 11:10 PM
email dyno dave ive seen a heaps of car that been work on by him and have done a really good job.....

DynoDave
11-03-2007, 05:49 PM
You can buy most of the ITR OEM parts you will need from JDM Yard and the rods and pistons will cost around the $1K they also carry OEM gaskets,water and oil pumps just do that to the bottom end and get a cylinder head service with a GOOD VALVE JOB and you will have a nice little engine that you will be very happy with and all OEM parts.
Regards Dyno Dave

barefootbonzai
11-03-2007, 06:17 PM
yep, you might as will upgrade to ITR parts cause it cost roughly around the same price. it's just the labour that kills it.

Sp00ny
11-03-2007, 09:41 PM
Thanks Guys.

Dave how much do you think it would cost for a full bottom end and top end rebuild. The Fuel pump & oil pumps/filters where changed 5000kms ago. So how much do you think for

OEM Type R Pistons + Rings, Type R Conrods
OEM Type R Valve Springs + Stem Seals
Spoon Headgasket
Some block work.

Im hoping not much more than $2000 inc labour, i know the rebuilder so i dont think he will charge much for labour. I could probebly do the Top end rebuild myself (Valve Springs / Stem Seals). So im hoping for a bottom end rebuild its below $2000 more around the $1500 mark.

What do you think?

yourfather
11-03-2007, 10:18 PM
you could use CTR pistons, but that would mean you're running a 12.4:1 compression ratio?

but shouldnt the spoon headgasket increase your comp too.

I guess if you do with itr pistons and spoon headgasket you'll be about 11.4:1

if dynodave is going to tune it, I'd guess that the CTR ones would be better bang for buck, they're about the same price.

p.s. im not a mechanic, I just read a lot.

and I could be wrong, so if im wrong, someone please tell me so, so im not handing out shit advice.

Sp00ny
11-03-2007, 10:26 PM
If i was in sydney dave would tune it, but i live in melbourne. Hopefully I can get good prices and have it on the road again within the next month at the latest. Would be good if there were people in melbourne to cruise with though.

Have to wait until my mechanic gives me the full diagnosis on tuesday afternoon.

yourfather
11-03-2007, 10:31 PM
ok, well, i'm in Melbourne too.
Dave does come to melbourne, but I guess you wanna get it back on the road asap.

preludacris
12-03-2007, 02:31 AM
how often does dave come to melb. just roughly .. i think i'd want the more precise work done by him also.

BlitZ
12-03-2007, 08:49 AM
A long block std rebuilt should cost roughly about $1200-1500 + head recoditioning.. and that should include everything from timing belt to water pump to rear mains, oem bearing etc etc.

Depending on your purpose of the build. If you are really after a mint build blue print style, it will cost more.. you would require alot more block work namely, line bore, crank + flywheel balance, proper non hand honing, block decking etc etc which should cost another $1500 but well worth it and would proabably outlast or be on par with OEM.

fatboyz39
12-03-2007, 09:07 AM
To give you a indication, our ITR motor cost 3.5k for a rebuild. Thats not including pisotns and rods cause we already have them :).

goodluck with the rebuild.

DynoDave
12-03-2007, 01:46 PM
how often does dave come to melb. just roughly .. i think i'd want the more precise work done by him also.
Whenever he is asked nicely :p
Regards Dyno Dave

yourfather
12-03-2007, 01:47 PM
Omg Dave Isback

DynoDave
12-03-2007, 01:53 PM
Omg Dave Isback
Yes had to eat some humble pie and come back on here to see what was going on,ALLMTR996 has been doing some posting for me but its not the same and he is about to move up the coast.
Regards Dyno Dave

nigs
12-03-2007, 02:45 PM
PM sent Dave
My Vtec fell off and she needs fixing.
:D

Sp00ny
12-03-2007, 03:36 PM
Yes I might have a talk to you dave XD.

Im hoping just to get by with just a bottom end rebuild for now. Ill do the head rebuild myself later.

A long block std rebuilt should cost roughly about $1200-1500 + head recoditioning.. and that should include everything from timing belt to water pump to rear mains, oem bearing etc etc.

Hopefully for a full bottom end rebuild it shouldnt cost me much more than $1500. At the minute im looking at everything stock except a spoon headgasket. Id love to put ITR Gear in it but I dont think ill be able to afford it. Just buying the car cost me a fortune, im taking out a loan for the rebuild most likely.

Thanks guys.

yourfather
12-03-2007, 04:11 PM
Yes had to eat some humble pie and come back on here to see what was going on,ALLMTR996 has been doing some posting for me but its not the same and he is about to move up the coast.
Regards Dyno Dave

Well Dave, I hope you do stay now for a while.

No such thing as humble pie, always welcome in my eyes. And if there are dickheads that disagree, start your own forum.

Look forward to reading more from you in the future. You're important to this community. On the whole, and this is directed to everyone. This place is so much better when there are those from the best in the industry.

Whether or not you disagree with them is irrelevant. These guys are in there, on the frontlines making our industry get better and better.

We're all sick and tired of scammers, people who sell bad product, and give bad advice and service. Thats why having people like Dave who know their shit, who live and breathe this stuff, make a REAL living off this stuff, not just a side project while they're at uni, are so important.

/end suckjob

Sp00ny
12-03-2007, 08:05 PM
/end suckjob

^^ LOL

I Dislike people who pretend they have knowledge and mechanical experience when they dont know sh*t. Just destroy's the purpose of this forum.

From reading Dave's posts its clear he knows what his talking about, hope it doesnt come down to me travelling up to sydney to get it done :S :wave:

ginganggooly
13-03-2007, 09:05 AM
^^ LOL

I Dislike people who pretend they have knowledge and mechanical experience when they dont know sh*t. Just destroy's the purpose of this forum.

From reading Dave's posts its clear he knows what his talking about, hope it doesnt come down to me travelling up to sydney to get it done :S :wave:

He's had quite a bit of experience with Integra VTi-R's too ;)
There is a certain grey one he's put a good amount of effort into...

DynoDave
13-03-2007, 09:52 AM
He's had quite a bit of experience with Integra VTi-R's too ;)
There is a certain grey one he's put a good amount of effort into...
Hey I know the guy that used to drive it he went all soft and got a EURO now someting about aircon was needed :confused:
Regards Dyno Dave

ginganggooly
13-03-2007, 09:59 AM
Hey I know the guy that used to drive it he went all soft and got a EURO now someting about aircon was needed :confused:
Regards Dyno Dave

He's just waiting on the grey car to come out of it's coccoon.... :p

Sp00ny
13-03-2007, 04:06 PM
:p

Will CTR Pistons Fit Stock B18C2 (VTi-R) conrods or ITR Conrods, i presume ITR conrods would fit a B18C2 Crankshaft.

What sort of gains would i get by installing CTR/ITR camshafts. Would tuning be necasary?

Cheers

yourfather
13-03-2007, 05:40 PM
yeah they'll fit stock controds dude.

Sp00ny
13-03-2007, 07:45 PM
Well i got a Quote from my mechanic. Rebuild with protective coating (forget what its called)......

- 3 Angle Valve Job
- OEM ITR Valve Springs + Seals + Spoon Retainers
- Spoon Headgasket
- ITR Piston + Rings
- Bearings, Overhaul Gasket Kit
- Fuel Pump, Oil Pump
- Hone
- Polish

Quoted Price: $2800

I thought it was quite reasonable, he said if anything else in the engine needs replacing ill be confronted prior to action.

What do you guys think?

BlitZ
13-03-2007, 07:56 PM
sounds cheap....

and yeah CTR pistons would fit.. however proper high comp pistons are alot better and more efficient than CTR dome tops.

Sp00ny
13-03-2007, 08:06 PM
Well I was considering this as if seen many other rebuilds his done, he said CTR/ITR Pistons are best value for money. He prices other piston sets and i was looking in excess of $1500 (Toda). I can't contemplate $1000 extra for a gain that will be minute expessially considering I plan to stay N/A and do no MAJOR mods.

Turn around is a bit over a week. So I should have it ready weekend after next, going to give it a detail, then hitting doncaster / Mt. Donna Buang. XD

Cheers Guys.

BlitZ
13-03-2007, 08:54 PM
Well I was considering this as if seen many other rebuilds his done, he said CTR/ITR Pistons are best value for money. He prices other piston sets and i was looking in excess of $1500 (Toda). I can't contemplate $1000 extra for a gain that will be minute expressially considering I plan to stay N/A and do no MAJOR mods.

Turn around is a bit over a week. So I should have it ready weekend after next, going to give it a detail, then hitting doncaster / Mt. Donna Buang. XD

Cheers Guys.

no one mentioned toda.. eheheh.. there are other brands as well..
look up RS machines piston reviews.. roughly the same price as PCT

yourfather
13-03-2007, 09:22 PM
Well i got a Quote from my mechanic. Rebuild with protective coating (forget what its called)......

- 3 Angle Valve Job
- OEM ITR Valve Springs + Seals + Spoon Retainers
- Spoon Headgasket
- ITR Piston + Rings
- Bearings, Overhaul Gasket Kit
- Fuel Pump, Oil Pump
- Hone
- Polish

Quoted Price: $2800

I thought it was quite reasonable, he said if anything else in the engine needs replacing ill be confronted prior to action.

What do you guys think?

maybe a new timing belt, considering you have a pretty much new engine.

Nightrider
13-03-2007, 09:30 PM
is that price inclusive of labour?

Sp00ny
13-03-2007, 11:14 PM
Yeah, he said parts cost is just under $2000 he said $800 for labour will do provided I give him a good week to do it.

nigs
14-03-2007, 11:11 AM
Wau nice price!

My quote was far from that. T_T
Hopefully when Dave gets up here we can sort something out and I'll have VTAK again. :thumbsup: