PDA

View Full Version : What's Gone/Blown

Phantom Snail
11-03-2007, 01:15 PM
Hi guys...mate has an issue and just wants to get an insight on what a few mechanically minded people think b4 he brings his car to a mechanic in fear that they may rip him off for something unnecessary...

Honda with complete integra type r running gears...motor, gearbox, clutch, shafts, hubs everything...

He did a launch of around 6000...dropped the clutch and the car for a split second engaged then nothing happens...
No leaking fluids or debree of any kind on the ground...
All gears are selectable whether or not clutch is depressed and engine is on or off...
When trying to take off normally (gear 1, clutch slowly out) at engagement point it sounds as though theres slight teeth/metal grinding but the car does not move at all...but the speedo does climb...
With engine off, gear in neutral...and the car is pushed/rolling...you also hear the slight teeth/metal grinding like sound from the front...

Different people have said different things...
1 - blown gearbox (but then others say if it was blown gears would be hard to select)
2 - blown diff (but then others say itd sometimes be hard to push or roll in neutral)
3 - drive shafts gone (cheap easy way out but sounds too good to be true?)
4 - lsd shat itself

Ne input/help is greatly appreciated and a rough estimation of how much each problem would cost to fix from the smallest of things to the biggest of things...

Thanks for your input and help guys

PROBLEM FIXED - BLARDY DRIVER SIDE DRIVE SHAFT

yourfather
11-03-2007, 02:35 PM
if you roll it in gear does it have any kinda restriction.

You have posted a lot of information, if you can put it in gear while the engine is turning over and the motor doesnt stall, then its your box thats shagged.

Maybe try and get it started in 2nd. If you can get it going in second, might just be your first gear thats ****ed.

options 2 and 4 are the same.

so you've either got a stuffed gearbox, you've got snapped driveshafts or your diff is shagged.

XB-16-AX
11-03-2007, 07:31 PM
firstly why would u rev the car at 6000rpm on 1st gear then dumped the clutch? bad thing to do unless you have got alot of money to play with for g/box rebuilts etc.

Anywaiz - sounds like your flywheel teeth aint engaging / or its fhuked.

you clutch could possibly be a goner as well as the centre bearings. do u hear the grinding noise when accelerating and de-accelerating? if so check the centre bearings/clutch/flywheel,

NOW - the worse thing is that you have blown your 1st gear synchros.

but check the above first even possibly check /adjust the clutch pedal possibly not engaging with the clutch.

if the car can be driven and but makes the noise - I dont think it will be your driveshafts, as if it is your car aint going nowhere.

let us know how u go.

Phantom Snail
11-03-2007, 09:58 PM
if you roll it in gear does it have any kinda restriction.

You have posted a lot of information, if you can put it in gear while the engine is turning over and the motor doesnt stall, then its your box thats shagged.

Maybe try and get it started in 2nd. If you can get it going in second, might just be your first gear thats ****ed.

options 2 and 4 are the same.

so you've either got a stuffed gearbox, you've got snapped driveshafts or your diff is shagged.

Whether it be 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th or reverse...my mates car doesnt move...it just sits there with slight teeth/metal grinding sound as soon as the clutch is released at pressure point...

firstly why would u rev the car at 6000rpm on 1st gear then dumped the clutch? bad thing to do unless you have got alot of money to play with for g/box rebuilts etc.

Anywaiz - sounds like your flywheel teeth aint engaging / or its fhuked.

you clutch could possibly be a goner as well as the centre bearings. do u hear the grinding noise when accelerating and de-accelerating? if so check the centre bearings/clutch/flywheel,

NOW - the worse thing is that you have blown your 1st gear synchros.

but check the above first even possibly check /adjust the clutch pedal possibly not engaging with the clutch.

if the car can be driven and but makes the noise - I dont think it will be your driveshafts, as if it is your car aint going nowhere.

let us know how u go.

My mate knows of people and workshops with standard itr gearboxes and itr lsd etc launch at 6000-8000 down the strip...n they are fine...
If this is just a clutch problem....it sounds a hell of a lot better then having shafts or gearbox etc problems....
Yeah the grinding noise ONLY happens as soon as the clutch pressure point is achieved from letting go of the clutch and continues to sound as the speedo climbs n falls from acceleration n deceleration without the car moving at all...

Edgeauto
11-03-2007, 10:12 PM
If your speedo is operating the diff is turning so it may be the lsd gears but more likely your driveshafts, check to see if any of the shaft boots look twisted thats a tell tail sign where the problem lies.

XB-16-AX
12-03-2007, 01:10 PM
Yeah the grinding noise ONLY happens as soon as the clutch pressure point is achieved from letting go of the clutch and continues to sound as the speedo climbs n falls from acceleration n deceleration without the car moving at all...

get your centre /spiggot bearings checked, i used to get the same noise in my old engine (D16Z2) when i press and de-press the accelerator in any gears. as soon as i replaced the clutch (as it was due anywaiz) and the centre/spiggot bearings - bob was my uncle!! - problem solved!!

do little checks first b4 going into the hardcore lsd, g/box issues!!

sivic
12-03-2007, 06:28 PM
I'm inclined to think driveshafts

Phantom Snail
14-03-2007, 03:01 PM
Took apart gearbox...perfect
Took apart lsd/diff...perfect

Problem? Fargin driver side drive shaft

newmski
14-03-2007, 03:06 PM
yeh diveshaft for sure when i did my clutch (this was mas first time doing a clutch so :P) anyway i didnt hit the cv's hard enough into the box so when i tried to go forwards/backwards i get grinding. either your shafts have poped out of your box or the shafts joints are f---ed

look at where you shafts enter your box should be no gap and no leaking. if thats all good take out your shafts an see if you can twist them.