PDA

View Full Version : White smoke everywhere

Eclipsor
11-03-2007, 02:05 PM
I've had the car off the road for the last week or so waiting till I could do my brakes. The front was up on stands the whole time so it was tilted up a fair bit.

I've just gone to start it and it is spewing white smoke everywhere. I let it run for about 4-5 minutes and it dosn't look like letting up at all. Is this likely to be burning coolant? And therefore signs of a leaking head gasket?

What would be my next step? Compression test?

thanks

Drew
11-03-2007, 02:13 PM
Blown head gasket

Next step is getting a new head gasket...

Have a smell of the smoke and tell us what it smells like

Paul1985
11-03-2007, 02:17 PM
how much white smoke?

aaronng
11-03-2007, 04:33 PM
I hope you didn't start it while it was still tilted on the stands.

fatboyz39
11-03-2007, 05:11 PM
head gasket.

Zilli
11-03-2007, 05:35 PM
is it smoke or is it steam?

why would it be the head gasket boys? any explanations?

the only thing i cant think is if you did start it whilst it was still on the stand the oil was not full enough to get to the pickup.

Did it start smoking as soon as you started it?

XB-16-AX
11-03-2007, 07:20 PM
firstly .

u sure u still got oil in the engine?

sounds like either head gasket blown due to no water in the radiator or you started the car whilst tilted and the piston rings are gonskies!

what happens after idling for 5minutes or so? still got white smoke?

Eclipsor
11-03-2007, 07:57 PM
Thanks for the replies

I didn't start it whilst it was still on the stands. It was on the ground for nearly a day after I finished the brakes before I started it.

The oil level is fine according to the dip stick. There is still coolant in the tank.

Paul: Alot of smoke

Drew: Will smell it tomorrow and post back

Zilli: Started as soon as I turned it on

XB-16-AX: Not sure exactly how long I had it idling for because I was freaking out quite a bit. But I think it was around 4-5 minutes and the amount hadn't changed.

Also another thing I forgot to mention. It was reluctant to rev. There hasn't been any clues to this in the past really. Never blew any noticable smoke at start up. Just a bit at WOT at higher rpm. Which I figured was reasonably normal.

ps. Engine is a h22a.

thanks again fellas.

Paul1985
12-03-2007, 12:06 PM
at trade school a guys car started pouring smoke out the pipe once.. looked like a smoke machine.

I dont know how they managed it but i think they worked it out to be dumping of fuel into the chamber which caused it to burn off a hell of a lot of fuel causing a heap of smoke. After about 10 mins of driving this went away.

It was cause they were messing with the injectors i think. Maybe worth looking into??

Eclipsor
12-03-2007, 12:12 PM
Nah. I'm pretty sure it's not fuel. It was really white in colour and didn't really smell like fuel.

ps. To make things more interesting my windscreen wipers won't turn off when I turn the key to on.... it's like some car demon has possessed my car during last week when it was weak and unable to defend itself.

EuroDude
12-03-2007, 12:19 PM
You sure you didnt fill the engine with too much oil? Maybe the oil tilted into the cylinders.

I would do an oil change and see how that goes.

Drew
12-03-2007, 12:22 PM
So uhm.... what does it smell like then?

aaronng
12-03-2007, 12:27 PM
You sure you didnt fill the engine with too much oil? Maybe the oil tilted into the cylinders.

I would do an oil change and see how that goes.

Oil doesn't tilt into the cylinders. :)

EuroDude
12-03-2007, 12:36 PM
Oil doesn't tilt into the cylinders. :)

lol true :p
Where does the oil leak into when you put too much in?

aaronng
12-03-2007, 12:48 PM
lol true :p
Where does the oil leak into when you put too much in?
It doesn't leak. It stays in the oil pan. When you run the engine, the excess oil gets pushed into the PCV valve because it filled so high that it reaches the same height as the PCV valve. It then gets blown back into the intake manifold where it burns. That's why you get smoke if you overfill the oil.

Eclipsor
12-03-2007, 01:02 PM
So uhm.... what does it smell like then?

Havn't had time to turn it on again today. Will do after work and let you know.

Drew
12-03-2007, 01:12 PM
But oil doesn't create white smoke does it?

EuroDude
12-03-2007, 01:14 PM
Yes oil creates white blueish smoke when burnt in the engine.

aaronng
12-03-2007, 01:18 PM
Coolant is getting into the combustion chamber, somehow. Have you checked if your coolant level has dropped?

Eclipsor
12-03-2007, 01:57 PM
Fairly sure it has gone down. Was in a hurry when I checked. Will have another look. Is there any other way coolant can get in there other than the head gasket? Will probably take it to the mechanic up the road and get his opinion/get him to confirm it is the gasket. Then it's just a matter of waiting till I have time to replace it.

Any thoughts as to what would have caused this?

All I did last week that I can think might have done anything is bashed pretty hard on the brakes/hubs trying to get some bolts undone. Maybe causing some vibrations that just pushed it over the edge. That sound feasible?

Drew
12-03-2007, 02:19 PM
WHAT THE **** DOES IT SMELL LIKE FOR THE TWENTY FIFTH ****ING TIME?

The smell of the smoke will help determine if its oil or water, just in case your a partially color blind

Yes oil creates white blueish smoke when burnt in the engine.

I'm going to go with more baby blueish than white

Is there any other way coolant can get in there other than the head gasket?

The gremlins are removing the spark plugs and pouring coolant into the cylinders when you're not looking

aaronng
12-03-2007, 02:30 PM
Fairly sure it has gone down. Was in a hurry when I checked. Will have another look. Is there any other way coolant can get in there other than the head gasket? Will probably take it to the mechanic up the road and get his opinion/get him to confirm it is the gasket. Then it's just a matter of waiting till I have time to replace it.

All I did last week that I can think might have done anything is bashed pretty hard on the brakes/hubs trying to get some bolts undone. Maybe causing some vibrations that just pushed it over the edge. That sound feasible?

No, it's not you bashing on your brakes/hub.

Let your mech check it, but in the mean time, make sure your coolant is topped up to the Max level. What's worse than a failed head gasket? A heat-warped head. :)

Paul1985
12-03-2007, 03:09 PM

Another way coolant can get in the chamber other than a head gasket is if you have had a serious electrolysis problem. If you have a poor earth somewhere then current can flow and earth out through your cooling system.. current + water/coolant leads to serious corrosion. If you have current earthing out through your cooling system on serious cases it can eat away through the cylinder wall therefor allowing coolant to enter the chamber. I doubt this would be your case, but if it was you would be up for a lot of money! You would need a new block

Is there any water coming out of your exhaust pipe or are there any noticeable leaks around your headgasket?? Also pull the plugs out and check if they are wet.

I dont think your work on the brakes has anything to do with what your asking personally. I think it may be coincidence they happened at the same time.

Eclipsor
12-03-2007, 03:30 PM
WHAT THE **** DOES IT SMELL LIKE FOR THE TWENTY FIFTH ****ING TIME?

For the 25th time I'm at work and will check when I get home.

Thanks for the replies guys. Didn't really think the bashing would have done anything. Just the only thing I did in the last few weeks to the car. Thanks again.

Drew
12-03-2007, 03:38 PM
Feel the love ^_^

Eclipsor
12-03-2007, 04:40 PM
<3

Anyway. I'm home and I've had another look at it. Coolant has definitely gone down. Not so evident in the radiator itself but there's nothing left in the overflow that I refilled a month ago.

And the smell.... well I wouldn't really know how to describe it. Not overly strong smelling. Kind of bitter.

Drew
12-03-2007, 04:49 PM
Bitter possibly a little sweet?

aaronng
12-03-2007, 05:50 PM
<3

Anyway. I'm home and I've had another look at it. Coolant has definitely gone down. Not so evident in the radiator itself but there's nothing left in the overflow that I refilled a month ago.

And the smell.... well I wouldn't really know how to describe it. Not overly strong smelling. Kind of bitter.

Please top up BOTH the overflow tank and the radiator with coolant!

JasonGilholme
12-03-2007, 06:10 PM
Wheres the smoke coming from?? Exhaust or engine bay?

You may have some coolant leaking onto the block and once it heats up it burns off?

Don't ya just hate it when you gotta wait for parts..

XB-16-AX
12-03-2007, 06:42 PM
another way to check if the head/block is blown by simply:

fill up the radiator and reservoir with water, whilst leaving the radiator cap off - start the engine and let it warm up - dont rev it .. - top up the radiator with water if needed.

now once the engine is warm check the radiator and check the water - look for the following CAREFULLY:

- Any bubbles following up
- any rust residue
- any signs of oil / froth which is at the top of the water

now if any of the 2 of 3 above shows or is visible, then your head gasket is blown and possibly even a damaged head/block.

Now the reason of the white smoke is because water is mixing with the oil, which is therefore being burnt and flowing through the exhaust.

you may also notice that your temp gauge may rise higher than usual.

get it check and fix it bro.

silver_screen
12-03-2007, 07:52 PM
you dont need to find oil in ur water to have a blown gasket champ. It def sounds like a head gasket. nice :)

expensive to fix thou and its not as simple as removing the head and puttin in another gasket. uve got the send the head out to get cleaned and reco'd (replace any valves that may have gotten burnt or damage in any way/shape or form)

reason for white smoke isnt because oil is mixing with water... coolant is an oil.. and thats the colour it burns. rust residue??? highly unlikely.. ive got rust in my water.. no dead gaskets here buddy... just an old engine.. bubbles yes, u may see some.. but it may well be normal bubbles.. take it to the mechs and get it tested.. its very easy to test...

At my work, we use a lil liquid that changes colour when its mixed with co2. goes where ur rad cap usually is.. and it sucks the air outta the rad.. if its leakin.. then it will change :)

In most head gasket jobs.. the car runs hotter... but sometimes when its just coolant leakin and its minimal.. it wont :)

any questions just ask

XB-16-AX
12-03-2007, 07:58 PM
As i mentioned "another way to check" if the poster arent sure of how to check / troubleshoot these.

BUT YES - you are correct also silver_screen!! champion :wink:

Every single bit of info helps!! - i know it did for me!!

Eclipsor
20-06-2007, 10:04 PM
Just for reference. The smoke was brake fluid being burnt. The master cylinder was leaking badly into the booster and was getting sucked in through there. Hopefully this helps someone else.

creativepunka
20-06-2007, 10:27 PM
Haha that came up in mind when you said it smelt bitter. Iv seen it happen before. An internet diagnosis can only go so far lol lucky you didnt do a head gasket.