PDA

View Full Version : number plate laws

IAMVTEC
12-03-2007, 08:21 AM
Is it absolutely necessary to have plates up the front? I heard a car would be legal as long as it had its number plate on the back of the car. Is this correct?

EuroDude
12-03-2007, 08:27 AM
Yes you have to have them at the front and back.

Its illegal otherwise.

teaseR
12-03-2007, 09:20 AM
just the rear is fine but will get attention from coppers. they will hassle u.
just think them as traders plates. just the rear for reason that red light speed cameras only take from the back.
like motor bikes!!!

Q_ball
12-03-2007, 09:28 AM
just the rear is fine but will get attention from coppers. they will hassle u.
just think them as traders plates. just the rear for reason that red light speed cameras only take from the back.
like motor bikes!!!

Not sure which state youre referring to or if its different interstate, but NSW/ACT defiantely requires you to have your plate on the front most and rear most parts of your vehicle at all times.

defect
12-03-2007, 09:34 AM
Is it illegal to mount plates to one side of your front bumper. I see alot of people doing it.

the number plate should be placed on the drivers side so on coming traffic can still see it. Incase the police think you dont have a front one when they are on coming with you on the road.

has anyone been fined for not having their number plates displayed properly?

kid_dynamite
12-03-2007, 09:40 AM
Is it illegal to mount plates to one side of your front bumper. I see alot of people doing it.

the number plate should be placed on the drivers side so on coming traffic can still see it. Incase the police think you dont have a front one when they are on coming with you on the road.

has anyone been fined for not having their number plates displayed properly?

Sorry you are incorrect. In NSW it is not illegal to mount it to the side, so long as it meets visibility requirements. Take a look in the modification laws thread for NSW that's floating around. I posted the requirements for mounting plates.

JasonGilholme
12-03-2007, 09:47 AM
he was asking a question man. not making a statement.

defect
12-03-2007, 09:49 AM
I was actually asking a question, sorry

if you place the plate on the passenger side, wouldnt it sit on a angle that the on coming traffic would find it harder to see.
so placing it on the driver's side would help for visibility of on coming traffic.

Q_ball
12-03-2007, 09:50 AM
Sorry you are incorrect. In NSW it is not illegal to mount it to the side, so long as it meets visibility requirements. Take a look in the modification laws thread for NSW that's floating around. I posted the requirements for mounting plates.

To clarrify, an offset number plate is allowed, so long as its on the front most part of the front bar, and perpindicular to the centre line of the vehicle.
Having it on an angle obstructs visibility and is therefore a defect.

EuroDude
12-03-2007, 10:23 AM
Grabbed from the RTA NSW rule book
http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/licensing/downloads/gettitestsdrivieduca_dl1.html?rrlid=roaduser
http://img442.imageshack.us/img442/3994/licplatib0.jpg

kid_dynamite
12-03-2007, 10:30 AM
I was actually asking a question, sorry

if you place the plate on the passenger side, wouldnt it sit on a angle that the on coming traffic would find it harder to see.
so placing it on the driver's side would help for visibility of on coming traffic.

Ahh fair enough then my apologies buddy. Those posts above pretty much tell you what you need to do.