PDA

View Full Version : Stupid Viper Alarms!!!

wkdteg
12-03-2007, 11:42 AM
hey guys, not sure if this belongs here, so move it if ya have 2.
ive got a viper alarm that came with my car, and up until last nite it hasnt given me any trouble. the car has been sittin in my garage for the last week, with it only being drivin once on sat.
last nite at about 230am, just as i was fallin asleep, the bloody thing decides 2 go off!!! its in the garage, and theres nothin there 2 disturb it. so i turn the siren off, arm it, and go back 2 sleep. bout 30mins later, it decides 2 go off again. so i just left it unlocked
wtf is goin on? can any1 help?
cheers

aaronng
12-03-2007, 12:24 PM
Is the battery going weak?

arron
12-03-2007, 12:28 PM
On the topic of alarms,

my alarm seems to go off really often.. even when its sitting still... As you probably can tell i have 2-stage shock sensors but my alarm seems to go off whenever it feels like... seems to be worse after a drive (when the engine bay is hot?)
It's a fairly new alarm as well... Any way of changing the sensitivity of alarms..

TurBIce
12-03-2007, 12:28 PM
maybe coz of the heat then cold. something went loose on the inside n moved? maybe a ghost?

wkdteg
12-03-2007, 12:48 PM
oi dun b hijackin my thread :p
arronng, i doubt the battery is dyin. i was workin on the audio system all week. admitadly, i didnt have the car running when i was tuning the amp etc... but i did drive it to work on sat, and it was goin ok.
ill have a check of the battery now.
how would it affect the alarm?

aaronng
12-03-2007, 12:58 PM
oi dun b hijackin my thread :p
arronng, i doubt the battery is dyin. i was workin on the audio system all week. admitadly, i didnt have the car running when i was tuning the amp etc... but i did drive it to work on sat, and it was goin ok.
ill have a check of the battery now.
how would it affect the alarm?

If the battery is weak with low voltage, the alarm could misinterpret it as someone trying to disconnect the power and hence goes off.

Did it only start happening after you worked on your audio system?

wkdteg
12-03-2007, 01:02 PM
yeah ive had the car for over a yr. ive done about 3 different installs in that time, and it just happened last nite. the system was finished on thursday nite :s

destrukshn
12-03-2007, 01:06 PM
Is the battery going weak?
2nd that.

wkdteg
12-03-2007, 01:09 PM
ok so i just went downstairs 2 put the battery on the charger.
the alarm light inside the cabin was still flashin even though the alarm was unarmed, and the door was open.
n when i put the charger on, it indicated that the battery is full

aaronng
12-03-2007, 01:12 PM
the alarm light inside the cabin was still flashin even though the alarm was unarmed, and the door was open.

Dead batteries will show as full, but when you use the battery, the voltage will drop even with a small drain. Bring your battery to a car battery place and let them test it.

EuroAccord13
12-03-2007, 01:26 PM
Weather and vibrations can cause alarms to go off....

wkdteg
12-03-2007, 01:27 PM
hmm... ill leave it on charge for a couple of hrs n well c wat happens.
lets assume its not the battery, is there anythin else it can be?

EuroDude
12-03-2007, 02:14 PM
Mine used to do the same thing when the battery was weak, despite the battery working ok.

Try another battery ftw

tron07
15-03-2007, 10:47 AM
In the morning, before starting the car, hook a volt meter to the battery and get a readout... if its way lower then 12v, then time to change the battery

If you want to listen to our system without starting the engine, get a deep charge battery like Optima yellow/red top

DSNTGR8
15-03-2007, 01:21 PM
i was going to say does it have the tilt sensors and shit,? because little things can cause them to go off. EG a really loud exhaust

wkdteg
15-03-2007, 11:02 PM
In the morning, before starting the car, hook a volt meter to the battery and get a readout... if its way lower then 12v, then time to change the battery

If you want to listen to our system without starting the engine, get a deep charge battery like Optima yellow/red top

thanx for that idea. ill do that over the weekend. another thing im goin 2 try is 2 check the voltage while the engine is running to check if the battery is actually charging.

DSNTGR8, i was thinking that the 1st time it happened, but its garaged in a quiet neighbourhood. there was nothin loud goin on when it happened :confused:

teaseR
16-03-2007, 01:57 AM

the light is flashing even when the door is open and unarm is because the alarm went off, trying to signal you that it went off when ur not around. for instance, 4 flashes means that the boot was open. 3 flashes means the bonnet. i cant remember this ontop of my head. ive got a viper alarm too and it seems to work fine!!!

if the alarm is still going off, take it to tonkins as its life time warranty. they are the main dealer of viper alarms

[SDCTVE]
16-03-2007, 02:44 PM
On the topic of alarms,

my alarm seems to go off really often.. even when its sitting still... As you probably can tell i have 2-stage shock sensors but my alarm seems to go off whenever it feels like... seems to be worse after a drive (when the engine bay is hot?)
It's a fairly new alarm as well... Any way of changing the sensitivity of alarms..

the same thing happens with me....what alarm are you using? did u find a way to fix that?

wkdteg
16-03-2007, 03:08 PM
the light is flashing even when the door is open and unarm is because the alarm went off, trying to signal you that it went off when ur not around. for instance, 4 flashes means that the boot was open. 3 flashes means the bonnet. i cant remember this ontop of my head. ive got a viper alarm too and it seems to work fine!!!

if the alarm is still going off, take it to tonkins as its life time warranty. they are the main dealer of viper alarms

tonkins? details plz?

turbo convert
16-03-2007, 07:09 PM
i agree that its most likely the battery happens many times if its old just replace will save u doing it later anyways. and there should be a reset switch under ur dash to reset the light from flashing fast, as others stated y

ACTI0NMAN-1
16-03-2007, 07:29 PM
as Turbice suggested, obviously a ghost.