PDA

View Full Version : battery

weeman
12-03-2007, 12:26 PM
hey everyone

last night i left my mates house at about 9pm, got in the car, started it up and started driving up the road. i glanced at the clock and realised that it had been reset somehow, where only a couple oh hours beforehand it was the correct time, it was showing 4:55 so i figured it happened almost 5 hours prior to me getting back into my car. i thought this was very strange so i turned my head unit on and that too had also been reset, like someone had popped the bonnet and taken the negative terminal off the battery. its like my car had a blackout.

has this ever happened to anyone elses car, its very weird and i would like to know why it happened, the car is driving fine and there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with it at all, could someone please enlighten my as to why this might of happened, im very confused. hmmmm

thanx

EuroDude
12-03-2007, 12:39 PM
If the person who changed the battery last time didnt fasten the negative terminal bolt properly, or if the battery is not fastened down properly, the terminals could come loose and jump off if you go over a bump or pothole.

Bolt the terminals up tight and ensure the battery is bolted down properly, and it should be fine.

XB-16-AX
12-03-2007, 03:17 PM
are you getting any battery or charge lights on your cluster? e.g. alternator not charging the battery. - but i dont think this is your case.

as what eurodude said - possibly the + or - terminals on the battery are loose as a goose. - if they are tighten them...do the below first:

***before tightening any screws,bolts ensure that you disconnect the battery terminals to avoid shorting***

check the power cables on the + going into the engine bay fuse box as it should have a bolt/screw at the end which screws into one end of the ALT/CHARGE fuse could be an 60-80 fuse- this could possibly be loose. - also check the fuse it self and dingle it abit and see if its loose.

check the - ground cable and make sure that the grounding is great and the bolts are not loose which bolts onto the chassis.

see how u go.

weeman
14-03-2007, 09:00 AM
thanx for the reply's guys i really appreciate it. ill have a look at it tonight when i get home just to make sure the terminals aren't loose as a goose, lol. cheers

also it happened again last night, was spewing cause i just got the settings on my sterio back the way they were before, oh well. this has only been happening since i installed a remote gain control for my amp that powers the sub, maybe that has something to do with it. im going to take it out just to make sure and if it keeps happening ive got no idea what i could be, maybe im just better off taking it to an auto electrician and have them go over it.

thanx again guy's, will let you know how it goes

cheers

teaseR
14-03-2007, 09:26 AM
it was showing 4:55 so i figured it happened almost 5 hours

4 hours ago. usually resets at 1:00

De_Cruelz
14-03-2007, 12:30 PM
Perhaps something else is still drawing power from your battery and caused it to flat out and hence everything was reset. You might have to recharge your battery back by driving your car for awhile or just let it idle to recharge.

Btw, was the car itself easy to start?

EuroDude
14-03-2007, 12:43 PM
^ true. An amplified sound system can draw excessive power from the small Civic battery. Happened to mine a few times when I had my crappy Sony Amplifier. Upgraded to an Audison Amp which is way more powerful yet more efficient :p

weeman
14-03-2007, 01:21 PM
but the battery isn't getting drained, the car still starts up just as easily as it allways has. the sterio doesnt draw much power from the battery i dont think, ive sat in the car listening to music for almost an hour and it hasn't made the battery flat and the car still starts up easily as usuall.

also forgot to mension before that when it happened again last night the clock was showing pretty much the same time, think it was like 4:20 or something, weird hey

XB-16-AX
14-03-2007, 02:00 PM
but the battery isn't getting drained, the car still starts up just as easily as it allways has. the sterio doesnt draw much power from the battery i dont think, ive sat in the car listening to music for almost an hour and it hasn't made the battery flat and the car still starts up easily as usuall.

also forgot to mension before that when it happened again last night the clock was showing pretty much the same time, think it was like 4:20 or something, weird hey

dude maybe your car is possessed .. weird shieet ... hmmm ...

do we have a ghost guru in this forum? :p

weeman
14-03-2007, 02:31 PM
lol, dont scare me, it might just decide to drive away one night never to be seen again, lol

XB-16-AX
14-03-2007, 05:32 PM
lol, dont scare me, it might just decide to drive away one night never to be seen again, lol

hahaha better lock the garage door and put the car on jacks!! hahaha :p

have u checked the wiring of the amp? make sure that nothing is grounding which shouldnt be? e.g. Positive terminals and or the remote power on wire.

do u have a CAP connected to your amp? (farid/capacitor) if so check the wiring of that too.

if all hell go loose and u still dont know what is wrong ...take it to an auto electrician, mayb they can do a quick check and tell u whats up.

have u also check the above of what i mentioned?

weeman
15-03-2007, 06:43 AM
hey guy's i didn't get time to check my car out last night, will hopefully make time tonight.

XB-16-AX: lol yeh might have to think about that hey, dont want no ghost steeling my car hahaha :p now on a serious note, no i dont have a capacitor, but ill check the wiring of the amp, cause ive moved the amp around and the wire's are pretty stretched out now, they could be pulling out

thanx again,

XB-16-AX
15-03-2007, 10:44 AM
hey guy's i didn't get time to check my car out last night, will hopefully make time tonight.

XB-16-AX: lol yeh might have to think about that hey, dont want no ghost steeling my car hahaha :p now on a serious note, no i dont have a capacitor, but ill check the wiring of the amp, cause ive moved the amp around and the wire's are pretty stretched out now, they could be pulling out

thanx again,

no worries,

check the amp wiring and make sure that the wires are in the correct places and the positive power wires are grounding.

weeman
16-03-2007, 06:56 AM
hey, last night i finally got around to checking the battery while i was waiting for my sister at gymnastics, the positive terminal is a bit loose but i didn't have anything to tighten it up with, ill do it tonight. i also took out the gain control and so far no problems, the car didn't reset itself last night YAY!!!!

it must have had something to do with the gain control which is weird cause its just a cable that you plug into the amp. oh well.

thanx again for everyones input i really appreciate it

cheers
mitch

XB-16-AX
18-03-2007, 01:43 PM
+REP Over here homie!!! :wave:

pleasure to help out !! :thumbsup:

weeman
19-03-2007, 06:24 AM
lol +1 rep coming to XB-16-AX, thanx for your help mate

cyberscryed
02-03-2008, 08:32 AM
this happened to my car before too my stereo and clock kept on restarting i found out that it was my back up fuse

Dray_Templar
02-03-2008, 09:04 AM

Ive had the same thing a few times it's wierd, just double check your battery terminals.. and don't change your clock again is this seems to upset the evil spirit in the car and make it happen again :p

also found that installing a carputer helps think it gives the evil spirt some games to play while your away rather than resetting your colck :p lol