PDA

View Full Version : Gear shift knob opinions

docker
13-03-2007, 11:01 PM
Hi is there a gear shift knob anyone can recommend that feels and looks good? I'm am leaning towards the Momo Combat Leather/Chrome.

Also does the stock gear shift knob come off easily? I have a 03 Euro.

Thanks in advance :)

cdjhitman
14-03-2007, 01:56 AM
can i just add how do u take the oem gear knob out?
it doesnt seem to want to spin out.

Adagio
14-03-2007, 07:25 AM
I once read that the weight and balance of a gear shift knob is calculated when cars are designed, perhaps not Trabants and Wartburgs. So choose carefully as Honda may have spent some time making the standard knob as pleasant as it is.

Tobster
14-03-2007, 09:50 AM
Personally, I always found the OEM knob to be very lightweight -- probably the lightest of any car I've had (heaviest was probably my TF Magna). A hefty gearknob can certainly assist in smooth gear changes.

However -- and I think a few people have noticed this -- extra pressure (like leaning) can result in a little grinding feeling through the stick, so a REALLY heavy knob might not be good and might result in mild wear and tear on the gears.

There seem to be plenty of people out there with Momo knobs on their Euros or TSXs -- so you should be fine.

I haven't removed mine, but I presume it should just unscrew...

Pumped
14-03-2007, 09:51 AM
it unscrews pretty easily, just have to unclip the leather part from the knob by twisting.

Ive replaced mine with a Skunk2 knob, pretty heavy.
Shifts feel nice :)

cdjhitman
14-03-2007, 11:50 AM
aiight ill try and give it another go. lol.

aaronng
14-03-2007, 01:54 PM
You pull the leather part downwards (don't pull the black plastic ring part below the knob). The leather is cable-tied to a white plastic clip. After pulling down, you just unscrew the knob anti-clockwise. Then you hold the leather part, pull upwards carefully. The square plastic trim around the boot is held in by 4 clips, 1 at each corner.

And, yes, a heavier knob is better than the stock knob. In the US, TSX gets a 1/2 metal 1/2 leather knob. Our knob is leather + plastic and is pathetic in my opinion.

Peekay34
14-03-2007, 05:15 PM
I have a Skunk2 knob as well. But purchased a DC5 knob kit as they include a finisher that makes it look better for the surround/leather boot..my opnion anyway...

Drew
14-03-2007, 10:32 PM
I like heavy shift knobs that way you can just flick between gears easier and just throw from one gear to another will less effort...

albii
15-03-2007, 06:13 AM
just be carefull when you do change the knob that you don't accidently replace it with one that has shaved back wheels and throws up at every gear change.

tron07
15-03-2007, 01:43 PM
where did the gear knob thread with photos went??

BraXta
15-03-2007, 05:34 PM
hmmm well im lookin at gettin a new shift gear knob...

what do these skunk ones look like ?

sendok
16-03-2007, 09:57 AM
The thing is to get your hand grab the knob easily and comfortable :D that is.

Pumped
16-03-2007, 10:04 AM
hmmm well im lookin at gettin a new shift gear knob...

what do these skunk ones look like ?

http://www.k20a.org/z10/injen%20007.jpg

Like that but 6 speed :p

enkay
16-03-2007, 05:58 PM
yep beautiful knob! haha ordered mine from egsi still waiting for it thou =P

TurBIce
16-03-2007, 06:28 PM
got a skunk. its good!

BraXta
17-03-2007, 04:41 PM
where can you get one of these skunk gear knobs from ??

what other brands are available.... and what did you do about your leather boot ??

enkay
17-03-2007, 10:05 PM
where can you get one of these skunk gear knobs from ??

what other brands are available.... and what did you do about your leather boot ??

ask egsi on the forums (Underground Imports) he sells the skunk2 knobs, and well wat im doin is gettin an aftermarket shift boot adapter for the leather from ebay. but not sure wat other ppl did

cdjhitman
19-03-2007, 01:40 AM
how much is he selling them for?

Dan Martin
02-04-2007, 01:13 PM
Hi guys, first post here! :)

I just joined today after a few of your members ordered some knobs from me last week. I have a small company that designs and manufactures shift knobs for Hondas and Acuras. Our first model is the Maven Mark One and it is a perfect fit for the Accord/TSX:

http://www.mavenmotorsports.com/images/TSX1_400px.jpg http://www.mavenmotorsports.com/images/quarter_400px.jpg

You can find more information at www.mavenmotorsports.com.

I'm located in Ontario, Canada, but shipping to Australia is no problem. If group buys are allowed on this site, I would be more than happy to arrange a group shipment so you can save on transportation costs. I have been a member of many car communities for several years and look forward to being a contributing member of this club too. :)

Cheers,

Dan

Pumped
02-04-2007, 01:18 PM
well wat im doin is gettin an aftermarket shift boot adapter for the leather from ebay. but not sure wat other ppl did

What do these look like?
got a link? :)

enkay
02-04-2007, 09:03 PM
umm heres the link.. linky (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Honda-Shift-Boot-Adaptor-Black-Anodized-Aluminum-NEW_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33703QQitemZ8018958 681) i just recieved my mugen shifter assembly.. haha dunno if i still need it.. have no idea reali lol.

cdjhitman
02-04-2007, 09:47 PM
umm heres the link.. linky (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Honda-Shift-Boot-Adaptor-Black-Anodized-Aluminum-NEW_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33703QQitemZ8018958 681) i just recieved my mugen shifter assembly.. haha dunno if i still need it.. have no idea reali lol.

dude is that worth it for $25 tho?

enkay
02-04-2007, 10:06 PM
yer thats what i was thinkin, cos its like 25 + shippin etc and also thats in $$US.. and ive heard that u can get the eurosport leather n shiftboot for like $90? or sumthing

aaronng
02-04-2007, 10:27 PM
yer thats what i was thinkin, cos its like 25 + shippin etc and also thats in $$US.. and ive heard that u can get the eurosport leather n shiftboot for like $90? or sumthing

You're better off getting the OEM Acura/Honda aluminium knob used in the DC5R (but with black numbers, both in 5 and 6-speed) from ebay, taking the plastic boot adapter for yourself and selling the knob for $$$.

Euro76
06-04-2007, 10:24 AM
I'm pretty happy with the standard knob. It feels light whenever I shift. The gearbox is an absolute gem in my opinion...the best manual gearbox I've driven so far.

cdjhitman
06-04-2007, 03:05 PM
just got the skunk2 gear knob a couple of days ago. very nice and very sleek. recomend it to every1. now i just have to install this mugen shortshifter. any1 willing to help???
lol

enkay
06-04-2007, 05:53 PM
just got the skunk2 gear knob a couple of days ago. very nice and very sleek. recomend it to every1. now i just have to install this mugen shortshifter. any1 willing to help???
lol

thats the same setup im gettin, just waiting on egsi to get my skunk2 knob, he said its still on order or sumthing.. i need to install my mugen shortshifter too, i was thinkin to go to workshop to get it done as i dunt wanna break anything =P tell me where u get it done if it happens

cdjhitman
06-04-2007, 08:34 PM
narr, i cant seem to do it. ive been lookin for a diy on this mugen shortshifter everywhere. ive done everything but i just cant seem to disconnect the 2 gear cables from the actual shifting unit. i think i shud just listen to *gerald28 and get *ismotoracing to do it. its getting dark, ill try again tomorrow to sepreate if not ill have to wait till tuesday to get it done. :(

BusterSonic12
30-04-2008, 12:14 PM
anyone got the mugen 6spd shiftknob? comments?

integrator
01-05-2008, 02:52 PM
I've got the euro sport gearknob, similar to that of the DC5 but has red numbering. It feels great and light, only issue I have with it is it heats up a abit during summer.

aaronng
01-05-2008, 05:03 PM
I've got the euro sport gearknob, similar to that of the DC5 but has red numbering. It feels great and light, only issue I have with it is it heats up a abit during summer.

I used to have that... Sold it off for the Maven knob, which is stainless steel, heavier and much nicer than the Euro sport gearknob.

BusterSonic12
01-05-2008, 06:06 PM
is the euro sport knob = euroR = DC5 shiftknob?

aaronng
01-05-2008, 11:42 PM
is the euro sport knob = euroR = DC5 shiftknob?

Yes, except with black numbers instead of red. Otherwise, identical.

Suntzu
27-05-2008, 12:50 PM
Just got my Shunk2 6 speed knob. Fitting now.

Pumped
27-05-2008, 12:56 PM
Skunk2 6 Spd knob is nice :)
Selling mine at the moment :) has been good

Suntzu
27-05-2008, 01:01 PM
Ok, had a look at it.

Whats the extra little nut for? Do i put that on first and cable tie the boot to that little nut and then the knob??

aaronng
27-05-2008, 01:15 PM
Ok, had a look at it.

Whats the extra little nut for? Do i put that on first and cable tie the boot to that little nut and then the knob??

Take off the white clip from the boot. Invert the boot and cable tie it to just below the threads on the stick. Then you pull the trim down towards the place where it is meant to click back in, and the boot should be the correct side around but with the cable tie hidden inside the boot. Put the nut on all the way down the threads, then put the knob on all the way down. Turn the knob back up a little until the numbers are the right side up and then tighten the nut while securely holding the knob.

Suntzu
27-05-2008, 05:51 PM
I did exactly what you said and it was perfect.

Nice instructions. Thanks. :)

I also lubed up the internal linkages/parts with a like nulon spray while I was at it.

Its really nice now. Makes the cars shift feel meatier and very easy to shift.

Only downside is that the metals cold and will probably be very hot in summer.

The grey tone of the skunk2 knob really matches the interior and doesn't stick out like polished knobs! LOL