PDA

View Full Version : Del Sol - Tell me whats good about it... bias welcome

dsp26
14-03-2007, 09:45 AM
Okay with my Nissan NX a write-off... i've been looking into the gen CRX that i've always wanted but couldn't afford.

Tell me whats so good about it... btw stock for stock i've driven a mates JDM personal import one compared to the AUDM... JDM seems a lot quicker...

I want to know:
- What so good and unique about it?
- handling stock and slight suspension mods?
- Power stock and with slight mods.. dyno sheets would be appreciated as i want to compare overall power to my SR20. also redline and cam switch point on AUDM model?
- Reliability?
- Trouble spots? Common breakdown parts and availability of replacements
- Aftermarket support as well as part interchangeability between B18 motors (other than cams/gears) are a/c,p/s, belts, filters, consumables starter all that stuff the same...
- Brake size, piston size and rotor size.... non-aftermarket upgrades from other honda models?

JasonGilholme
14-03-2007, 10:01 AM
Its unique cause you never see them on the road at all. i swear theres only about 20 in qld. (probably more lol)

Handling stock is ok. i got a set of coilovers now with stock everything else it handles extremely well (i beat wrx's in motorkhanas :D:D)

Power stock is ok, you'll beat most things. Do some breathing mods and you'll beat even more things. Big weight reduction and you'll be keeping up with alot of 2 litre turbo cars on the straights (You'll smash them in teh corners with coilovers too ;))

Reliabilty. Mine hasn't broken down at all. I look after it tho. Regular servicing, no redlinging when water/oil isn't up to temp.

Haven't had to replace anything cause its broken yet. I did upgrade the brakes cause the person before be had shit box pads in there but i'm sure the OEM ones would be ok.

Aftermarket support is great. Most DC2 or EG civic gear will fit straight on. Just need to be 100% sure first.

brakes: I upgraded to slotted discs with Endless type CC-X pads and its great. out stops everything on the road easily. once again. very similiar to EG civic and you can even upgarde to DC2R brakes (if money permits)

Hope this helps.

PS I own my mates NX-R coupe by a car length. Those motors just get tired to easily.

J :thumbsup:

tRipitaka
14-03-2007, 10:02 AM

two seater targa top..
driving experience..

not too familiar with the handling when stock..
but sussy mods.. you can use any EG/DC2R sussy.. as they will just bolt on (might have to change rear LCAs for DC2R sussy though)

- Power stock and with slight mods.. dyno sheets would be appreciated as i want to compare overall power to my SR20. also redline and cam switch point on AUDM model?

118kw at the flywheel ? probably looking at ~90kw at the wheel

- Reliability?

as reliable as any other honda.. aslong as you maintain it, can last a lifetime.. (or close to it :p)

make sure you keep your seals maintained.. expensive to replace..

if you get the jdm model, the electric targa is super expensive to replace, and rare to find..

- Aftermarket support as well as part interchangeability between B18 motors (other than cams/gears) are a/c,p/s, belts, filters, consumables starter all that stuff the same...

any b-series parts.. providing you get the b-series model (non-jdm)

i'm surprised you say the jdm model is faster ? as it's heavier by quite a bit because of the electric targa..

dsp26
14-03-2007, 12:11 PM
sweet. thanks fellas... time to go searching...

looking for some cheap ones... reason i was asking about reliability is coz i was looking at some high mileage ones... looking into learning about the chassis and engine and build it up as an NA.

fair enough it is called the CIVIC Del Sol in the states and is based around the same chassis the way the NX and N14 pulsar are similar... but i would have thought it would have had its own section... i guess i thought there were more differences in chassis.

i'll go searching for some dyno sheets now and set myself a goal..... thanks again. one things for certain is that i won't settle for it until i can get it into 13s NA.

DLO01
14-03-2007, 12:44 PM

Just look at it. It just unique on its own. Looks, open air driving. You can make them look hell nice

Slight suspension mods reap very good results. I had just low king springs and gas shocks in mine and it handled real nice.

- Power stock and with slight mods.. dyno sheets would be appreciated as i
want to compare overall power to my SR20. also redline and cam switch point on AUDM model?

Stock power 90-95kw @ wheels. Simple I/H/E give good gains. VTEC crossover is 5500rpm. Peak torque 7000, Peak power 7600, redline 8000, cutout about 8200.

- Reliability?

Bullet prof B series motor. Mine was turbocharged and had over 230 000kms on it. Motor very strong.

Parts are available. Problems I had: Roof leaked under heavy rain. Targa roof rubers deteriorate if not looked after.

- Brake size, piston size and rotor size.... non-aftermarket upgrades from other honda models?

Not exactly sure.

dsp26
14-03-2007, 01:04 PM
that peak tq at stock?!?! ouch......

this made acceleration sound good though:
http://consumerguideauto.howstuffworks.com/1993-to-1997-honda-civic-del-sol-6.htm

i've checked the faq sticky in this thread and theres no too much info on the gen3 specifically except engine and driveline.....

but yeah thanks for all the input... just want all my bases covered as it is either this, and MR2 GT or AE111 Levin VZR blacktop 20v.

i'm not overly concerned with peak power but rather the 2nd cam power band as a whole.

also in terms of reliabiltiy.. i'm a DIY person and will pull the engine apart myself like i did my SR20 and 4age when i start learning Honda... always wanted to fondle a B series....

i now pretty much just need info on:
- Stock bottom end reliable SAFE HP with full bolt-on head
- std brake size and interchangeability with other Honda's in the same class (Civic/Integra) except DC2/5R as i will keep it 4 stud.

some dyno's i've scoured over the net look pretty alright, but with the lack of torque and the heavy ass kerb weight i wasn't expecting.... i wonder what bolt-on mods some of you have made bar displacement/cylinder compression increase....
- tuning + high lift vs low duration cams???

does anyone who has stripped this car have a weight breakdown of each part? not that i will.. but some forums i noticed they have a thread dedicated to this......

also just to confirm... same platform as EG civic right?

i_own_you
14-03-2007, 01:23 PM
only in america they call it the DEL SOL

dc2dc2dc2
14-03-2007, 01:35 PM
del slow?

SINISTR
14-03-2007, 01:37 PM
i'll add that the chassis is EG - and there is a massive aftermarket of Parts available for modifications - just about anything and everything off an EG civic will fit - some body parts as well.

I love the fact its a pure two seater - so you're not a taxi for people trying to scam a ride.

apart from that - the boys summed it right up!

DLO01
14-03-2007, 02:00 PM
Yeh, for a little car the weight is a bit surprising at 1114kgs. But remember the Aus version comes with all gear Air, PS, all electrics + extra strengthening being a targa adds up.

As sinister says, heaps of aftermarket bits available.

dsp26
15-03-2007, 07:30 PM
okay 1 more queston...

i will be making a purchase absed on engine condition and not how many KMs it has as i don't care...

so i need to know (since i can't think right now to calculate myself).. if the CR is 10.4 on the B16A2...
- What is the expected PERFECT cylinder compression value based on Australian altitude?
- What are the tolerances stated in the factory service manual

also if someone can give me the brake rotor size or even the for those with an aftermarket slotted item... if you could just give me the catalogue code that would be great!!!

looking forward to be active here with some DIYs as i did with previous rides and clubs.... thanks in advance.

z3lda
16-03-2007, 12:10 AM
Very Impractical Car!!!! >_<

<sloth>
16-03-2007, 02:07 AM
i purchased a 94 crx 2days ago..

compression was 198,198,189,198. from what mech told me 198 is perfect. up to 40 psi down is ok. engine has 160,000 kms as far as i can tell engine is still strong.

every1 i have spoken to has said tight little cars with very strong engine as long as u take care of it eg. good oil, good fuel and regular servicing. yes give it some, cos it wants it.. my engine wants me to push it! 2nd gear at 7500revs gets me to 90kms and it still wants to go harder!

i can see this engine getting to 240k-250k without skipping a beat. do urself a favour and drive one. then ull no why we love them.

i have super lows on the front an lows on the back, 17in momo gt2's, and mild body kit. every where i go ppl and looking, and on the street iv had no problems losing traction or understeer.. but as i said iv only had it two days.

my brother has a 99 corolla and i thort that ran on rails!

cant comment on brake specs as i havent got that far yet.

hope my 2c helps...

keep posting and let us no ur decision

i no u ll make the rite one in the end.

thx for ur time

paul

:cool:

dsp26
16-03-2007, 06:39 AM
^^^that helps.. but lol.. maybe i'm the one who shud say "thx for ur time"?? haha

Vidospace
16-03-2007, 06:45 AM
I find it handles very well, has a big ass boot, revs very easily and is very forgiving in terms of gear changes (will go over speed bumps in 3rd and not have to change down after). The electric rear window is fantastic as is the cover for the stereo (no more detachable face issues).
I hated the position of the hand brake so moved it over using a LHD version, and also the roof is a bit of pain to take off and put on if only one person is doing it. Also no boot release really sucks. Other than that it is a very sporty little car that is very fun to own.

z3lda
16-03-2007, 09:11 AM
i purchased a 94 crx 2days ago..

compression was 198,198,189,198. from what mech told me 198 is perfect. up to 40 psi down is ok. engine has 160,000 kms as far as i can tell engine is still strong.

every1 i have spoken to has said tight little cars with very strong engine as long as u take care of it eg. good oil, good fuel and regular servicing. yes give it some, cos it wants it.. my engine wants me to push it! 2nd gear at 7500revs gets me to 90kms and it still wants to go harder!

i can see this engine getting to 240k-250k without skipping a beat. do urself a favour and drive one. then ull no why we love them.

i have super lows on the front an lows on the back, 17in momo gt2's, and mild body kit. every where i go ppl and looking, and on the street iv had no problems losing traction or understeer.. but as i said iv only had it two days.

my brother has a 99 corolla and i thort that ran on rails!

cant comment on brake specs as i havent got that far yet.

hope my 2c helps...

keep posting and let us no ur decision

i no u ll make the rite one in the end.

thx for ur time

paul

:cool:

maybe its time for you to do an ITR brake upgrade. ;)

JasonGilholme
16-03-2007, 09:42 AM
Very Impractical Car!!!! >_<

Its more practical then a s2000! More boot space then alot of sedans i've seen/owned. More storage compartments as well.

As for weight once you do some weight reduction you can easily get them under a tonne. I'm at 990 at the moment (half tank of fuel) and theres still heaps to remove :D:D

Also do yourself a favour and get coilovers. you'll love it!

z3lda
16-03-2007, 09:52 AM
while ur at it get a b18c, the POS b16a is useless.

dsp26
16-03-2007, 11:03 AM
Its more practical then a s2000! More boot space then alot of sedans i've seen/owned. More storage compartments as well.

As for weight once you do some weight reduction you can easily get them under a tonne. I'm at 990 at the moment (half tank of fuel) and theres still heaps to remove :D:D

Also do yourself a favour and get coilovers. you'll love it!

thats one of the things i asked initially...

would you by any chance have a weight breakdown of certain parts....

even the factory bumpers (could convince to get fibreglass bodykit)..
radiator.... factory wheels.... targa...

but when i think about being the car it is... theres really not much to strip??

Twincam16
16-03-2007, 12:03 PM
Engine wise car is great, only downside is sourcing certain parts can be pain in the arse with things which arent on shared platform (read: eg civics).

1996+ models are hell of a lot cleaner & have extra goodies too, like airbags, nicer steering wheel, chipped key & Immoboliser & black interior panels (not grey) as well as OBD2 :p (sorta)

dsp26
16-03-2007, 12:11 PM
^^that didn't come up in my searches here so thanks a heap... narrows my choices down.. damn carsales and tradingpost...

OOPS
16-03-2007, 02:16 PM
Delsols are great cars i love the shape, look & the way it goes :D

There are only a couple of disadvantage things i have noticed like -

those damn roof leaks - you have to get rubbers changed & use some sort of sealant for them :honda: is such a rip off though for buying the rubbers.

the inside door handles are such a pain !!!

the only other problem i had was with the radiator never forget that day !!!

if only i could take off & put the roof on myself other than that its perfect :thumbsup: - i might need to start doing weights hehe

JasonGilholme
16-03-2007, 02:29 PM
thats one of the things i asked initially...

would you by any chance have a weight breakdown of certain parts....

even the factory bumpers (could convince to get fibreglass bodykit)..
radiator.... factory wheels.... targa...

but when i think about being the car it is... theres really not much to strip??

HAHAHAH Watever!!!

I've pulled about 60 - 80 kilo's out so far! and i haven't even removed PS, AC or ABS fully yet! light weight seat, lighter wheels, carbon/fibre glass targa top (or just remove it all together!!)

Theres tonnes to strip man.

Theres sooooooooooooo much sound deading in there its not funny. i removed 30 - 40 kg's from the boot alone! :cool: :cool: :cool:

Just some figures for you

Stock 1114 kg's (unknown fuel amount, probably full)
After some stripping 994 kg's (half tank fuel)

dsp26
17-03-2007, 08:28 AM
mmk after doin some more digging... im starting to get worried about torque....

I will pay $50 for someone around the Blacktown area (SYDNEY) to take me for a spin in their crx... i will also provide an e-tag for the trip so as to go on the motorway to fang at a decent speed....

just wna know what the power band feels like..... prefer stock or intake+exhaust modified example.

i'm just not fully convinced despite it being one of my dream cars... i'm used to driving my NX with close to 100wkw (after my last dyno due to some other mods) without camshafts and plenty more torque... and my mates DC2R JUST barely walks me after i get a lead in 1st/2nd/3rd initially.

my crossroad is:
Gen3 CRX + full NA bolt-ons
= ~$16k

NX with ~120+wkw in full NA bolt-on trim @ 11.5:1CR
= $8K as i have all the parts from write-off bar the camshafts

mqt55s
17-03-2007, 06:00 PM
buy a sss, chuck your sr20 mods onto that. enjoy the torque. and come back to pga hehehe.
even tho i love my n15, sometimes i wish i opted for an ek4 instead.

czy_sol87
17-03-2007, 11:26 PM
awsome little car
the look of them dont make the car look dated like other similar aged cars

it is a bit of a pain to source parts, because there aren't as many aftermarket parts for it as say a civic

but u do get lots of looks, and some ppl thinkin its a $40k brand new car

ps jason show us some pics of ur car
where did u get this "carbon/fibre glass targa top" custom made? sounds interesting and what did u take out of the boot

z3lda
18-03-2007, 12:01 AM
my delsol = b18c engine + b16a box + 3.9kg flywheel = heaps more torque & very quick acceleration

EGBOY
18-03-2007, 12:22 PM
^^^^^ as Zelda said
b16 is a pos... buy a cheaper sol and use the saved cash for a conversion!

dsp26
18-03-2007, 12:36 PM
^^^far out you guys are really scaring me into spending on the crx... i guess i'll have to see for myself next week... a member has kindly offered to take me for a spin.

i was scouring the net last nite for hours for info and i guess i just need 1 thing confirmed...

between the B16A and B18C, the only difference is the stroke right? both have 81mm bore? can i not use a B18 block or at least crank?

philBo
18-03-2007, 03:19 PM
you'll get sick of the b16 pretty quick....

EG30
18-03-2007, 04:07 PM
I got offered the chance to buy one for $8K-ish from a car yard they've just traded in.

1995 with with 140ks.

Half interested in buying it and drive it for the rest of this summer/autumn and leave the top off most of the time.

Are they easy to off load? I've got few other cars so being a 2 seat is fine with me.

But are they a lot harder to offload than say an EG VTi and DC2?

z3lda
18-03-2007, 05:49 PM
I got offered the chance to buy one for $8K-ish from a car yard they've just traded in.

1995 with with 140ks.

Half interested in buying it and drive it for the rest of this summer/autumn and leave the top off most of the time.

Are they easy to off load? I've got few other cars so being a 2 seat is fine with me.

But are they a lot harder to offload than say an EG VTi and DC2?

i would pay 8k for a 1995 delsol, the series 2 delsol with the updated all black interior trim.

b18c > b16a . difference is 20,000 NMs of torque

tRipitaka
18-03-2007, 06:30 PM
or boost it.

i'm sure DLO01 can vouch for it

dsp26
18-03-2007, 06:47 PM
i would pay 8k for a 1995 delsol, the series 2 delsol with the updated all black interior trim.

b18c > b16a . difference is 20,000 NMs of torque

but is that price normal??? like i can go on any car sale site, find a nice one and offer $9-$11k??

z3lda
18-03-2007, 07:22 PM
its hard to find a clean 95 model delsol.

the ones for cheap on carsalesa are the ugly pre 95 models.

EG30
19-03-2007, 05:57 PM
when you guys say del sol, you mean the del sol jap import JDM version or does that include the AUM version as well?

does the AUM model change post 95? one I might be able to buy is a bog stock AUM model.

dsp26
19-03-2007, 07:48 PM
^^only reason i said "DEL SOL" to start this thread with is coz search won't let me look up "CRX" as its 1 letter too short... and nothing in my searches ever came with the word CRX attached to it.

but yeah i meant the 92-97 model gen3 w/ B16A2

<sloth>
21-03-2007, 01:02 AM
94' crx

160k kms
superlows on front
lows on back
17in gt2 momo
lip front and back
mild side skirts
custom exhaust w/out extractors
6 in components in doors 6in 3ways in back(no head unit or sub)
rest is stock as a rock
clean interior with usual wear on seats...

paid 13k w/out rwc.

and i am very, very happy wth it!

p.s found it on carsales and trading post.. was looking for 10days, from viewing to purchase was 8days over the long wend. I WAS LUCKY! take ur time, ur car will come. i looked for 4. 5 months 2years ago for a eg civic wth b16a conversion.

z3lda
21-03-2007, 09:24 AM
94' crx

160k kms
superlows on front
lows on back
17in gt2 momo
lip front and back
mild side skirts
custom exhaust w/out extractors
6 in components in doors 6in 3ways in back(no head unit or sub)
rest is stock as a rock
clean interior with usual wear on seats...

paid 13k w/out rwc.

and i am very, very happy wth it!

p.s found it on carsales and trading post.. was looking for 10days, from viewing to purchase was 8days over the long wend. I WAS LUCKY! take ur time, ur car will come. i looked for 4. 5 months 2years ago for a eg civic wth b16a conversion.

that price is pretty steep for a 94 crx with 140kms on the clockl

some dude paid 15k with RWC
95 del sol
100,000kms
b18c engine
b16a gearbox
brand new exedy flywheel/clutch
ctr sideskirts, ctr front lip
omnipower full coilovers
20mm rear sway bay and some blingin lca's
16" rims
alpine hu/sub/speakers/amp

Vidospace
22-03-2007, 04:45 PM
There are a few JDM Del Sols around with electric tops but the engines are also D16s too. And many are Auto too which would suck.

dsp26
22-03-2007, 05:14 PM
that price is pretty steep for a 94 crx with 140kms on the clockl

some dude paid 15k with RWC
95 del sol
100,000kms
b18c engine
b16a gearbox
brand new exedy flywheel/clutch
ctr sideskirts, ctr front lip
omnipower full coilovers
20mm rear sway bay and some blingin lca's
16" rims
alpine hu/sub/speakers/amp

anyone here with a b18c conversion wanna sell me theirs? if it's a good deal i will travel to qld/vic

IndoStyler
26-03-2007, 10:25 AM
so wats on ur mind now after that test drive/ride over the weekend???? still want the b16a? or r u something for a lil more power????:D

JasonGilholme
26-03-2007, 10:36 AM
Meh, theres plenty of power int he b16.

you just need to reduce the weight of the 3rd gen chassis and that'll really open her up. :thumbsup:

dsp26
26-03-2007, 12:52 PM
^^^yeah gotta ask you about the weight reduction thing... coz i checked out IndoStylers (thanks again btw) car... was nice and tight.. which leads me to believe the only thing to remove is the stuff from the boot... and no i don't want a stripped interior.

Doing the work myself i've budgeted $15k for a crx with a b18c block (turns out the b18b won't be legal without engineering as its just over 15% increase in displacement and too much hassle doing all the tapping and oil lines which i'm not equipped for). Was thinking turbo initially but why bother... defeats the purpose in me reducing costs with insurance etc...

The other option is to get a Mitsubishi GTO TT... which are now available for import under sevs for around $17k... lol at the import dealers selling them for $35k+ for series 2..... but again insurance.

I reeeeaaally love the look of the del sol... me getting an nx was just a cheap substitute coz i couldn't afford a teg/crx at the time

JasonGilholme
26-03-2007, 01:00 PM
Theres plenty of things you can do to reduce weight.

I've still got my dash and door trims but the centre console and everything behind the seats is gone. I went to the effort of removing all the sound deadening, carpet and everything else and now i've got a nice new coat of white paint in the interior. Its still great to ride in. Doesn't feel like a cheap bash around race car. But looks hot cause its clean and smooth in the interior.

Last weekend i removed the air con (left the PS for motorkhana tho) and did a wire tuck on the passenger side of the engine bay. looks sooooooooooooo much cleaner on that side now. Can't wait to do the other side and remove a few more things.

Heres a list of things i have/will remove for weight reduction:

* Air con - Radiator, condensor, piping, wiring and all the associated junk behind the dash.
* Interior panels - Centre console, rear storage bins etc etc.
* Carpet, sound deadening and carpet underlay (this is some really itchy shit!) note: i kept my floor mats cause i like the soft feel under my feet :P
* Boot - interior panels, sound deadening, carpet and underlay.

You can even go as far as removing the ABS, which aparently is quite heavy, but i'd only do this if you were keen to be racing alot.

....you know you wanna buy one! :D:D

IndoStyler
26-03-2007, 01:06 PM
well actually its only a 12.5% increase in displacement going from 1.6 to 1.8

IndoStyler
26-03-2007, 01:11 PM
Theres plenty of things you can do to reduce weight.

I've still got my dash and door trims but the centre console and everything behind the seats is gone. I went to the effort of removing all the sound deadening, carpet and everything else and now i've got a nice new coat of white paint in the interior. Its still great to ride in. Doesn't feel like a cheap bash around race car. But looks hot cause its clean and smooth in the interior.

Last weekend i removed the air con (left the PS for motorkhana tho) and did a wire tuck on the passenger side of the engine bay. looks sooooooooooooo much cleaner on that side now. Can't wait to do the other side and remove a few more things.

Heres a list of things i have/will remove for weight reduction:

* Air con - Radiator, condensor, piping, wiring and all the associated junk behind the dash.
* Interior panels - Centre console, rear storage bins etc etc.
* Carpet, sound deadening and carpet underlay (this is some really itchy shit!) note: i kept my floor mats cause i like the soft feel under my feet :P
* Boot - interior panels, sound deadening, carpet and underlay.

You can even go as far as removing the ABS, which aparently is quite heavy, but i'd only do this if you were keen to be racing alot.

....you know you wanna buy one! :D:D

u definately know alot abt weight reduction....maybe i should take shit out of my boot:D:thumbsup:

dsp26
26-03-2007, 01:22 PM
well actually its only a 12.5% increase in displacement going from 1.6 to 1.8

nah calculated it..

Block to B16A2 Head
B18A2 = 1590cc (0%)
B18B = 1834cc (15.34%) + too much hassle oil lines & block tap.
B18C = 1797cc (13.01%)

But it's all good... If i can do it all for under $1k i may turbo it next year when i'm 25 and insurance is cheaper :D

but yes.. i do like the crx very much!!!

tRipitaka
26-03-2007, 01:25 PM
but yes.. i do like the crx very much!!!

the only time you'll regret buying one, is when you need to transport car parts (e.g. seats or rims)
other than that.. it's great..
you sit lower than other cars (due to the low rails) so when you dump your car, it'll be like sitting on the ground :p

JasonGilholme
26-03-2007, 01:27 PM
u definately know alot abt weight reduction....maybe i should take shit out of my boot:D:thumbsup:

HAHA cheers man.

Free power so why not do it! you'll be surprised how effective it is. I've saved car lengths on my mates s2000.

IndoStyler
26-03-2007, 01:31 PM
HAHA cheers man.

Free power so why not do it! you'll be surprised how effective it is. I've saved car lengths on my mates s2000.

haha, that sounds mad....but i'm not really into racing....i only race ppl who look like try hards and think that they are all that....and when i beat them, they get so shameful...hahaha....plus i'm sitting on 17inch rims so abit heavy there

JasonGilholme
26-03-2007, 01:41 PM
haha, that sounds mad....but i'm not really into racing....i only race ppl who look like try hards and think that they are all that....and when i beat them, they get so shameful...hahaha....plus i'm sitting on 17inch rims so abit heavy there

haha. yeah the 17's aren't helping either :P But they do look cool tho. (white del sol FTW! :thumbsup:)

I like it when i put down a better motorkhana time then the old guys in their V8's or the other young fella's in there skylines that drift the whole course and wonder why i'm 7 seconds quicker then they are :P

IndoStyler
26-03-2007, 02:29 PM
haha yeah...all good....white del sol FTW:cool:

but yeah...all good, i'm on the streets all the time anyway, so i'll just look good for now:D:p

cristian
26-03-2007, 03:50 PM
man, just get one already...so i got someone to go to ozhonda cruises wit aye..bwahahaha...our meet is across the road...next to the yellow mitsu L300 aka "the tank"

dsp26
27-03-2007, 10:59 AM
^^^neighbour... looks like a go-ahead!!!

I better not find the L300 on top of my car one day... oh and **** the stupid kids in our street playing chicken runs... let's see how they react to loud vtak y0!!!!

IndoStyler
27-03-2007, 11:14 AM
u finally made ur decision ay....find urself a nice white 1...its easier to keep clean...hahaha

JasonGilholme
27-03-2007, 11:15 AM
u finally made ur decision ay....find urself a nice white 1...its easier to keep clean...hahaha

Damn straight! :thumbsup:

IndoStyler
27-03-2007, 11:17 AM
Damn straight! :thumbsup:

white crx's FTW!!!!:cool:

dsp26
28-03-2007, 11:00 AM
found myself a good deal on a black crx.. most likely picking up this weekend.

Can I ask though how much you guys are paying for comprehensive insurance, your age, no claim bonus, insured value?

I'm a long member of JustCar and got a quote for the below stats:
- 60% No Claim (MAX)
- Driving since 2001
- Age 24
- Stock 94 model with alarm/immobiliser and wheels
- 1 non fault claim (my recent write-off)
- Insured with JustCar since 2003
- hypothetical purchase value of $13k insured for $11.5k
- 3 month license suspension from demerit accumulation in 2005
= $1996

= $1530 if i didn't have the suspension.

ProECU
28-03-2007, 11:03 AM
OUCH, thats an ass reaming.

I paid $1024 when I first bought my car 7years ago (when 24yrs old) now I pay $600-ish

JasonGilholme
28-03-2007, 11:19 AM
-No claim bonus
-Driving since 2003/4
-Age 20
-Stock 96 model with alarm/immobliser
-bought car for 14,990 and is insured for 14,990
-6 month license suspension (collection of demerits and then got another point when on a good driving behaviour bond)

=1900 (including about 2000 bucks worth of mods)

IndoStyler
28-03-2007, 11:26 AM
i only got 3rd party....paying $435 a yr and i'm 21 with final years of green p's

astormsau
28-03-2007, 11:43 AM
I have a 1996 CRX, its the deep blue colour. I'm from melbourne but got it in Sydney around November last year.
I could find any in melb with low km's which werent modified, i wanted a standard car which hadn't been flogged and really wanted the later model so I had airbags and black trims... I got it from a middle aged woman, totally stock - still had the tape deck in it, I paid 14k for it, its the updated model, the differences were:

-airbag as standard (some earlier models have airbags but rare)
-all black trims on doors
-immobiliser
-grey panel around gauges, not black
-low fuel light (i think earlier versions also had this)
-redesigned roof and door seals - my car doesnt leak - at all, even in high pressure car wash
-redesigned seat material

problems i have found with mine are
- windows were creaking when going over bumps, i had to pull the door trims off and put grease on the window height stopper bolts (white plastic bolts - can be seen if you put the window right down and look directly down into the door channel).
- PCV valve was dead, had to replace it as I was getting a bit of smoke out the exhaust on startup and high revs.
- had to get a few new parts - one of the clips on the rear brake light was broken, a hingle on centre console (drink holder) was broken, rubber ring around the boot lock was deteriorated, got the parts from Honda, most were in stock or took a month or so to get in, no major concerns
- roof squeaked alot when i got it - seals needed lubricating with silicon spray, and i also lubed all the roof pins with grease
- doors have slight wrinkles in the paintwork when you look at them from the side - apparently a honda thing...
- needed a new window belt - the rubber trim along the bottom of the drivers window, it had perished and didnt seal against the window...

aside from that, its been a great car to drive, needs a new clutch (friction point is very high now but not slipping) and springs (still on original equipment after 113,000kms)but i took it along the great ocean road this summer and it was awesome to drive and handled really well ( i had an 05 subaru impreza RS before this and i rekon it handles hills and corners as well).

Awesome fun car with the roof off, good performance out of the stock motor...

astormsau
28-03-2007, 11:44 AM
oh yeh im 26, rating 1
pay about $630 per year comprehensive in melb...

dsp26
28-03-2007, 02:09 PM
^^^. Thanks for that.

sorry to be a pain and keep bumping this thread.. but could the others edit post and let me know who your with? thanks

***EDIT***
and also the excess?

dsp26
28-03-2007, 02:10 PM
-No claim bonus
-Driving since 2003/4
-Age 20
-Stock 96 model with alarm/immobliser
-bought car for 14,990 and is insured for 14,990
-6 month license suspension (collection of demerits and then got another point when on a good driving behaviour bond)

=1900 (including about 2000 bucks worth of mods)

sounds good. who are you with?

Twincam16
28-03-2007, 10:07 PM
Ive got a Black 1997 Gen3. Factory Immoboliser & OBD2. Airbag etc. Treat it like my baby (reminds me it needs a wash).

If you are going to buy a Gen3, spend more for a later model version, lot less problems, less thrashed and small touches that you appreciate (like black panels & different seals).

dsp26
29-03-2007, 07:01 AM
^^^oh i believe you trust me... i can believe how ****ed the car i was checking last night was and the guy telling me all sorts of crap.
- bad paint
- dying winder motors
- No A/C he told me it was automatic
- never hit vtec.. clearly had severe leaks around dizzy
- a muffler = sports exhaust

pissed off... hate car buying

JasonGilholme
29-03-2007, 08:09 AM
sounds good. who are you with?

Just Car aswell.

Also, try to get the newer model if possible. So what if its got airbags. Its got better roof seals, OBDII and all black interior. much sexier. ;)

dsp26
29-03-2007, 08:27 AM
^^ yeah good idea.

When you guys say Pre-95 model the newer 1 is 95-97 right?

i've seen a few 94 models advertised with airbags

so annoyed... can't believe i was nice enough to give the fellow $50 for his time after blatantly lying to my face.... ARGQ@GLSDGWG

JasonGilholme
29-03-2007, 08:36 AM
AFAIK airbags are from 93 onwards but new interior and OBDII is from 96 onwards. (possibly some late 95's have it as well)

tRipitaka
29-03-2007, 08:38 AM
AFAIK airbags are from 93 onwards but new interior and OBDII is from 96 onwards. (possibly some late 95's have it as well)

airbags are only for the gen2 delsols.. i.e. 95+

astormsau
29-03-2007, 08:55 AM
the later model is identified by the black trim panels where the door handles and map lights are inside the doors, on earlier models these panels are grey.

i have seen 1994 models without airbags and 1995 models with airbags - both with the grey door trim - therefore i presume it is an option....

airbag was standard on the later model (with the black door trims). my vehcile is a later model, build date november 95, but first registered may 96. So they can have a build date of 95 but rego is normally 96....

JasonGilholme
29-03-2007, 09:01 AM
ok cool.

i think air bags was a 95 addition and maybe the black interior was a 96 addition then. I couldn't see it as an option.

IndoStyler
29-03-2007, 11:48 AM
^^ yeah good idea.

When you guys say Pre-95 model the newer 1 is 95-97 right?

i've seen a few 94 models advertised with airbags

so annoyed... can't believe i was nice enough to give the fellow $50 for his time after blatantly lying to my face.... ARGQ@GLSDGWG

are u talking abt me???

dsp26
29-03-2007, 12:09 PM
^^^hahaha no... i checked out a black one last night..... the ****er didn't know what he was talking about and made it sound like he was doing me a favour by taking a chunk off the price.

this example was so bad that i wouldn't buy it even if he put the price down to a 4 digit.

but on another note... feel like helping me chekout some crxs?

also theres one other one i queried... upfront he's told me the probs are:
- windows (having probs winding up, needs a spray) but i'm pretty sure the motor is on its way out
- antenna makes noises going up/down
- rear and front bar need screwing in properly and respray (full mugen kit)
- bucket seats (i'm pretty sure arn't adr approved)

destrukshn
29-03-2007, 12:12 PM
i just bought one.
it's okay.
lol.

JasonGilholme
29-03-2007, 12:20 PM
You shouldn't have to pay to inspect a car. Thats just wrong.

IndoStyler
29-03-2007, 02:43 PM
hahaha....all good...u should take ur time in looking for 1....it took me just over 4 months to find my 1.....btw...even though mine a 93 model, wat did u think of my example of the del sol anyway???

tRipitaka
29-03-2007, 04:13 PM
antenna problem is common with hondas..
that's another thing the gen2 delsol has..

although saying that, my car has an electric antenna that was put in by the previous owner.. nothing wrong with it at all..

Twincam16
29-03-2007, 05:30 PM
Ive been happy with my car... no leaks & the ANTENNA ACTUALLY WORKS! lol

z3lda
29-03-2007, 07:14 PM
im thinkin of getttin another one.

lookin for a black one 95+ with a million kms .

anyone know anyone sellin one?

cristian
29-03-2007, 07:38 PM
im thinkin of getttin another one.

lookin for a black one 95+ with a million kms .

anyone know anyone sellin one?

this dude from stanhope gardens...selling a black delsol...check out carsales...

dsp just went and had a look at it last night

UNLS1
29-03-2007, 07:43 PM
lol who said it would beat most things? wats most things? 1.5 jazz?? lol

destrukshn
29-03-2007, 07:49 PM
well i recently bought mine.
kinda neglected, but nothing a bit of elbow grease won't fix, and so far, i'm half content with the performance, it's as stock as it gets, timing is off, and absoultly shit cracked extractors.
but eh, i'm not complaining, overall, it's a pretty good car i reckon.

dsp26
29-03-2007, 08:27 PM
you guys are making me sad.. i want one so bad after having driven a few...
as much as i loved my sr20 and its torque... th sound of the high cam on a b series is awesome!

oh well.... insurance payout is now cashed in.... gonna shop around for a bit and wait a month i guess.

destrukshn: mind PMing me the ad for the car you got if you don't mind... just curious.

I'm tryna build a car value benchmark in a spreadsheet (believe it or not) based on condition/year/mods as i'll admit i am a honda noob.

z3lda
29-03-2007, 11:15 PM
haha just get a b18c and it'll shit all over ur sr20 nx coupe.

trust me!

dsp26
29-03-2007, 11:57 PM

trust me!

yeah i know... i would have paid for the setup FLY is selling tonight had the crx i looked at last night been in good condition... damn i'm too keen.

still cut about my NX though.... posted all my parts for sale tonight at PGA :(

Just to share what happened (the wheels in the pic is what will go on a white/black crx i purchase):
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v281/dsp26/Accident%20No%202/PIC00061.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v281/dsp26/Accident%20No%202/PIC00062.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v281/dsp26/Accident%20No%202/Incident_modified.jpg

DLO01
30-03-2007, 07:07 AM
Ahh that sux man ^^^

Good luck finding your Delsol. :thumbsup:

JasonGilholme
30-03-2007, 07:59 AM

trust me!

haha

My b16 does that anyway. Don't need a b18 to do that.

destrukshn
30-03-2007, 09:02 AM
you guys are making me sad.. i want one so bad after having driven a few...
as much as i loved my sr20 and its torque... th sound of the high cam on a b series is awesome!

oh well.... insurance payout is now cashed in.... gonna shop around for a bit and wait a month i guess.

destrukshn: mind PMing me the ad for the car you got if you don't mind... just curious.

I'm tryna build a car value benchmark in a spreadsheet (believe it or not) based on condition/year/mods as i'll admit i am a honda noob.
i would, but he took it off car sales already.
i'm also tempted to buy fly's setup.

b16, will get the sr20 rolling, but from the line, i reckon it'd be side by side.
but then again, all depends on the driver.
lol.

czy_sol87
31-03-2007, 11:03 AM
i beat most stock r33 turbo skylines, & anything from vt commodores and down (v6 that is)

ps raced on calder

dsp26
06-04-2007, 10:43 PM
i know this thread has dragged on but just wanted to let you guys know i found one and will be picking it up on tuesday/wednesday next week when i make full final cash payment :D

- Feb 1993 build date (i'm guessing this is one of the first)
- White. Some parts of the body need fixing but no biggie.
- EVERYTHING WORKS!!! all windows and all electronics and aircon.
- 220 psi cylinder compression on all 4 cyls. (checked myself today with tester)
- Fully log booked since new and has ~140K Km.

and the price i paid (paying).... $10k cash. That leaves me plenty of money left over from my original budget to make this the way i want...

***EDIT***
i'm also looking for a B18c block ASAP. so as to make conversion easier to blue slip prior to any other mods!!

aimre
09-04-2007, 12:04 AM
Hope all goes well with it :thumbsup:

dsp26
09-04-2007, 12:38 AM
^^^Thanks!!!

and yes i forgot to thank everyone for their input in this thread so a big thanks to all!!! I almost settled for a gt mr2...

czy_sol87
09-04-2007, 11:31 AM
- Feb 1993 build date (i'm guessing this is one of the first)

***EDIT***
i'm also looking for a B18c block ASAP. so as to make conversion easier to blue slip prior to any other mods!!

my build date is Mar 92

there is someone selling the b18c in the for sale threads

oh btw join www.crxaustralia.com, if u havent already

dsp26
09-04-2007, 01:39 PM
oh sweet... not bad then for a 92-97 car retaining its value.

thanks for the heads up... i actually joined a while ago to search for a car... i'll start posting when i learn something useful :thumbsup:

my build date is Mar 92

there is someone selling the b18c in the for sale threads

oh btw join www.crxaustralia.com, if u havent already