PDA

View Full Version : CAI possibly water logged

turbo convert
16-03-2007, 07:41 AM
Hi guys,

I had a problem this morning, as it was raining quite heavy i think my pod which sits under the front bar might have been water logged.
every time i gave full throttle the car would just be missing and not going anywhere,. and eventually on the freeway she concked out!
then after crancking it it let out a big puff of white smoke and off i went and then all was sweet!
now providing this was a water logged issue how do other ppl using cai with filters down in the front bar cope with the rain?
it so my em1 by the way

incoming
16-03-2007, 07:44 AM
i used to run CAI right behind mesh grill and used to stick out a tad bit under the front bar... mind u i had no splash guard either...
never had a problem...
drove in rain not as frequent though.. and if it did rain.. i'd slow down so the water wouldnt have more force to be sucked into the throttlebody (dunno if it made a difference though lol)

turbo convert
16-03-2007, 07:52 AM
well yeh after reading other threads i didnt drive through any major puddles either!
and i wasnt high reving since i left home i couldnt get up over 5000rpm without is missing, but then after she died and i restarted her it came good all way okay,

17-03-2007, 05:18 PM
Hey champ, get yourself an Autotecnica Air filter beanie, just like the one you get with the K+N intake kit. Think they're about 8 bux from Autobarn.

http://autotecnica.com.au/products_fs.html

sydteg21
17-03-2007, 07:13 PM
Hey champ, get yourself an Autotecnica Air filter beanie, just like the one you get with the K+N intake kit. Think they're about 8 bux from Autobarn.

http://autotecnica.com.au/products_fs.html

i can;t see how this thing can stop water sucked in man

sydteg21
17-03-2007, 07:23 PM
Hi guys,

I had a problem this morning, as it was raining quite heavy i think my pod which sits under the front bar might have been water logged.
every time i gave full throttle the car would just be missing and not going anywhere,. and eventually on the freeway she concked out!
then after crancking it it let out a big puff of white smoke and off i went and then all was sweet!
now providing this was a water logged issue how do other ppl using cai with filters down in the front bar cope with the rain?
it so my em1 by the way

hey man, you should get it checked asap, cos yeah, your cai sucked water in because of the big white smoke , normally the right thing to do after your car stalled is to pull the plugs out and crank the car , if you got water in the cylindar , it will shoot out , then use some device to suck the water out and leave it dry, then change the oils ....not sure how yours will be, but i heard some stories similar to yours . Their cars went good after they sucked in the water, blew a lot white smoke then the engine runs fine, however the connecting rod was bent a little bit , not enough to tell, three months later , when they drove hard , the rod digged a hole on the block.......

kn1ghtm4r3
17-03-2007, 07:46 PM
i was under the impression you would have to go through a deep puddle and get the filter somewhat completey submerged to get hydrolock.

so far ive driven through heavy rain but i tend to keep the revs pretty low and avoid puddles where possible. if i cant avoid the puddle i put it back into neutral n coast over the puddle lol.

destrukshn
17-03-2007, 07:59 PM
as long as you keep your revs low, there shouldn't be any problem
and you would have to get a decent amount of water to get it hydrolocked,

turbo convert
17-03-2007, 09:07 PM
well all seems to be okay however a bit worried about the story about after three months,anyways i have been thrashing the car trying to clean it out and all seems well, i raised the air filter as high as i could anyways and drill some holes is the plastic under neath to allow the water to drain
hope this does the trick

XB-16-AX
19-03-2007, 06:53 PM
You can buy this "Heat Shield" for the filters from Autobarn cost like $30 in chrome which basically covers half the filter (mainly used for the engine bay).

I bought one of these puppies and used it as a "rain shield" for my CAI which is located behind the front bar with no splash guard either.

The shield is basically covering the bottom part of the filter as the splash, water bounces up and not from coming down :P

as you can see in my photos.

the only reason why there is abit of water on the front is because of my front bumper blinkers are collecting the water to save the dam :P FTW!!!

Its effective and its a cheap $30 way to save your engine from damage!!! ACT QUICK!! :thumbsup:

XB-16-AX
19-03-2007, 08:31 PM
i can;t see how this thing can stop water sucked in man

yeh tell me about it ..

even though it could be silk or microfibre material ..water can get into that shiet ... water is the lethal injection yo!! :P

try my method, abit more than $8 bucks but will save your engine and looks good too (its not like u can see it behind the bar anywaiz :P)

turbo convert
20-03-2007, 08:07 AM
my problem is that i get all the flick up from the front tyre which all goes on the tire as on my em the splash gaurd underneath doesnt come up the whole way like on othe cars, so the water splashs up over the gaurd, or mayb the previous owner took it off who knows.

sydteg21
20-03-2007, 09:55 PM
if you want to get a peace of mind , just get a AEM bypass valve if your piping size is one of those, 2.5" 2.75" 3", otherwise change a intake, like ice box or something like that