PDA

View Full Version : Engineer Certificate

ts0nda
16-03-2007, 05:53 PM
Hi Guys.

My car has been unregistered and off the road for the last 6 months or so. Its finally at the panel beaters getting fixed up, then it will be off to a mechanic for a service and roadworthy certificate to get it registered and back on the road again.

I've just got a question to ask you people here before i take it to get roadworthied. I have a b16a2 in there, and the car is currently still registered with a d16a (its an EG Si). I'm guessing i'll need to get an engineer's certificate. Am i correct? I could probably get it on the road but i'd like to do everthing legit this time and have no worries in the back of my mind. I'm sure there are a lot of people here that have had this engine conversion done, has anyone got their car engineered after this particular swap? If so did you need to change anything else? How much did it cost? etc?

Thanks

[ricer]
16-03-2007, 05:54 PM
cant u just go to the RTA and change ur engine number considering they're both 1.6L engines?

ts0nda
16-03-2007, 05:58 PM
heh, thats what i'm hoping. Just checking here to see what other people have had to do.

bigjo5
16-03-2007, 07:15 PM
just get a blue slip and change ur engine number and that over.

bennjamin
16-03-2007, 07:28 PM
you need to get a "adjustment of records" from a registered mechanic.
Its a blue slip , with "adjustment of engine number/capacity" .
Its easy , and costs about $20 to do. Thats all you need - then take it to the RTA and they will updated it and give you a new rego paper with the new number on it.

Lex_EG93
22-11-2007, 01:38 PM
what if you have a b20 block and b16 head. is that concidered a 1.6? :?

TODA AU
22-11-2007, 02:05 PM
No, the engine number alerts people to the capacity.
B20 = 2L

Phuong1987
23-11-2007, 05:45 PM
Blue slip is about $40-60, pink slip is $20.
You will need paper work proving that you bought the b16a motor.

omgzilla
23-11-2007, 06:18 PM
I don't understand how you can get away with just 'adjusting the records'.

Is this a tricky way around it or the legitimate way to do it in VIC?

In QLD if you change the motor you need a mod-plate/engineers certificate to prove that work has been carried out professionally and the car has adequate brakes etc.

You can do an engine swap while it still has current rego and not have any troubles... until you have an accident, of course.

Got insurance? - Consider it void! ...if you don't get the swap certified etc.

Good luck with it all.

grumpy rooster
23-11-2007, 07:00 PM
My understanding is if it retains the same engine and gearbox mounts, or was an option on that model, then you don't need an engineer's certificate. BUT, if that different model had bigger brakes to go with the more powerful engine, then you will need to get the brakes engineered (any brake swap requires an engineers certificate) and hence the engine will need to be engineered.

The easy way is to speak to an engineer directly and ask what the rules are for your particular situation. That way you know for sure the correct answer. :)

AsH_
23-11-2007, 11:20 PM
wat about if you stroke a B16 to a 1.8ltr...

do you have to tell rta?

how would any1 know?

grumpy rooster
24-11-2007, 06:21 AM
They wouldn't know. You wouldn't have to do anything.

But if you went to a B18 all you'd have to do is get a Blue Slip (in NSW) and get the engine numbers changed over as its under the 15% capacity increase that can be "owner certified".

tRipitaka
24-11-2007, 07:44 AM
taken from http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/Home/Registration/ChangeOfVehicleDetails/

Change of Engine
1. Replacement engine is identical to the original engine, or is an option allowed by the manufacturer for the same model vehicle
The optional engine must be offered in Australia by the vehicle manufacturer as an option for that vehicle (or certified variants). The change of engine may be recorded by VicRoads provided that the registered operator or a motor mechanic, or dealer in that make of vehicle or an Automotive Engineer signs a declaration certifying the engine is optional for the vehicle model, and that all modifications made by the manufacturer for the same vehicle model with that optional engine, have been completed.

You will need to attend a VicRoads Customer Service Centre to have the vehicle's engine inspected to confirm the new engine details. No appointment is required. You will also need to complete a Change of Vehicle Description form [PDF 24kb].

2. Replacement engine is not of a type offered by the vehicle manufacturer as an option for that vehicle or where alterations, or changes to the vehicle's frame or structure are made, and/or specially fabricated supports or structures are used
You will need to attend a VicRoads Customer Service Centre for an inspection of the vehicle to confirm the new engine details. You will also need to complete a Change of Vehicle Description form [PDF 24kb] and provide VicRoads with:

* a VASS Approval Certificate from a VicRoads Vehicle Assessment Signatory
* an original receipt for the purchase of the engine as proof of ownership of the engine

zco
24-11-2007, 08:28 AM
for sydney. you need engineers certificate if

you change type of induction - ie: turbo/supercharge
you increase displacement by +/- 15%

if you need an engineers certficate, you also need the required adequate brake and suspension setup safe enuf to handle the increase in power aswell.

Lex_EG93
24-11-2007, 02:38 PM
for sydney. you need engineers certificate if

you change type of induction - ie: turbo/supercharge
you increase displacement by +/- 15%

if you need an engineers certficate, you also need the required adequate brake and suspension setup safe enuf to handle the increase in power aswell.

the eng cert can be done by any mechanic? im asking because im putting the engine in myself with some help (b20vtec). . .

grumpy rooster
24-11-2007, 07:06 PM
The certificate can only be issued by an authorised signatory. The list of signatories is on the RTA website.

Limbo
24-11-2007, 07:43 PM
as you only changed engine blocks from a later model engine you will get by with a blue slip.

I changed a 16v to a 20v motor and all i needed was a blue slip and proof of purchase of the new engine. Both were 1.6 ltrs

ANytime the engine number changes a blueslip is needed.
This was in Sydney and cost me $50 for the blueslip