PDA

View Full Version : German Autobahn Euro Video

yfin
16-03-2007, 08:08 PM
I have never seen the Euro at these speeds - really interesting to see the 5th gear VTEC engage and how slow the revs rise betwenn 6000 and 7000rpm in that gear. Car is stock. So slow above 185kph..

Don't like how they break up the video into steps - but otherwise interesting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VwJmuxjn74

Chris_F
16-03-2007, 09:28 PM
woah... i thought vtec wasn't allowed to engage in 5th

yfin
16-03-2007, 09:29 PM
woah... i thought vtec wasn't allowed to engage in 5th?

Might well not be engaging - and it would explain why it is so slow 6000-7000rpm in 5th :thumbsup:

Pumped
16-03-2007, 10:50 PM
Ive seen a euro hitting around 215, vtec definately engages in 5th

aaronng
16-03-2007, 11:38 PM
I thought you've seen this vid before. I have that exact same vid in a avi file that is dated 29/9/2005 (the date which I downloaded it).

It's slow in 5th gear 6000rpm because the car is drag limited.

EuroAccord13
17-03-2007, 01:12 AM
I've seen this video before too... definitely before the date he posted it...

As for the slow climb in RPM in higher gears...

Think of it as you are cycling on a bicycle... In higher gears, it's harder to pedal due to the gear ratio (being smaller) and drag...

Try pushing the car in 2nd and 4th at the same RPM band... 4th will climb slower...

LXRY
17-03-2007, 02:40 AM
I've taken my car too 220klm/h stuck to ground like glue shame I run out of road though.....hehe so much for rev limiters (old nissan pulsar Q cut out after 135 klm/h)

Any one taken it past 220 klm/h ?????

EK4R
17-03-2007, 02:49 AM
yfin you wouldn't by any chance be around west side of melb would you? seen a car like yours a few times near Flemington area

yfin
17-03-2007, 08:39 AM
Hmm, maybe I have seen that video before but can't remember.

yfin you wouldn't by any chance be around west side of melb would you? seen a car like yours a few times near Flemington area

Nah I don't drive around Flemington.

J-TODA
17-03-2007, 11:16 AM
ive taken my euro to bout 205-210.......also ran out of road....ye friends said dere was a rev limiter at 200 so i went out and tried it...bt ye neva taken it past 220

aaronng
17-03-2007, 11:20 AM
There is no speed limiter. And please do your speed tests on a track. I don't want to see an Euro involved in a high speed accident on the news.

J-TODA
17-03-2007, 11:22 AM
There is no speed limiter. And please do your speed tests on a track. I don't want to see an Euro involved in a high speed accident on the news.

ye LOl pretty stupid idea doing on normal roads...

SPQR
17-03-2007, 12:24 PM
There is only a rev limiter; so speed limiter. Had mine to 229km/h (indicated) when it was legal to do so in the NT. No one else on the road, wide verges, clear day, long distance visibility, did not run out of road as it is approx. 1,789km long; I just did not like the way the car was directionally unstable. Could cruise at 160km/h without drama; just not at 200+.

LXRY
17-03-2007, 12:35 PM
There is only a rev limiter; so speed limiter. Had mine to 229km/h (indicated) when it was legal to do so in the NT. No one else on the road, wide verges, clear day, long distance visibility, did not run out of road as it is approx. 1,789km long; I just did not like the way the car was directionally unstable. Could cruise at 160km/h without drama; just not at 200+.

Is your euro lowered? When my euro was stock height felt very unstable at high speeds, now low closer to centre of gravity, like glue on the road have only changed my springs I must say though (eibachs)

J-TODA
17-03-2007, 05:08 PM
Is your euro lowered? When my euro was stock height felt very unstable at high speeds, now low closer to centre of gravity, like glue on the road have only changed my springs I must say though (eibachs)

my euro aint lowered didnt have this problem....

tony1234
17-03-2007, 06:45 PM
This is one of the reasons i lowered mine with a good spring/shock setup.

SPQR
18-03-2007, 10:57 PM
Apart for the very first Whiteline rear anti-sway bar ever made for the Euro, the suspension on mine is stock. The high speed instability I think is part of the wider problems the Euro has with pulling to one side and tramlining.

tony1234
19-03-2007, 06:10 AM
Apart for the very first Whiteline rear anti-sway bar ever made for the Euro, the suspension on mine is stock. The high speed instability I think is part of the wider problems the Euro has with pulling to one side and tramlining.
Lower your car with a good set of springs and shocks and you'll notice a dramatic improvement in the way your car handles both at hi speed and thru the twisties.

Alpine
19-03-2007, 07:51 AM
For a 2.4 four cylinder...235km/h is impressive top speed! Even the old 1995 model BMW 525i (a 2.5 straight six) we used to have couldn't crack more than about 215 km/h top speed, and that had a 5 speed auto box as well.

sendok
19-03-2007, 09:33 AM
For Euro, 2.4 liter engine doesn't impress me to do 200km +.. coz i've done 240km/hr with my eg before :p, try to use drag track or legal track if you want to do it.. don't do it on the street will ya! :D

bennjamin
19-03-2007, 10:59 AM
gearing makes a difference :)

ginganggooly
19-03-2007, 02:05 PM
Interesting that you complain about instability at high speeds. It is all relative I suppose, but the Euro feels every bit as planted as the oldies' E320.

Maybe it's because I'm coming across from a 12 year old DC2, but the high speed stability (+180km/h) of the Euro was one of the most impressive attributes. It felt on par with the expensive europeans I've driven.

EuroAccord13
19-03-2007, 10:11 PM
The Euro has got the lowest Drag CoEfficient of any production petrol cars @ 0.26.. The VW Passat used to have the lowest @ 0.28..

Honda Insight has a Drag CoEfficient of 0.25.. Lowest of ANY Production Road Cars...

Also, alot of development went into designing the Euro's underbody for downforce stability for that aerodynamic grip to keep the car stable at high speeds and cornering...

kam
20-03-2007, 01:23 AM
hmmmm, so what would the drag coefficient of say a ferrari be then ? F430 for example

yfin
20-03-2007, 06:06 AM
hmmmm, so what would the drag coefficient of say a ferrari be then ? F430 for example

0.33 according to this...

(http://research.cars.com/go/crp/research.jsp?section=features&crpPage=features.jsp&makeid=51&modelid=7771&year=2006&myid=&acode=&mode=&aff=national&defaultSelection=true)

tony1234
20-03-2007, 06:14 AM
Interesting that you complain about instability at high speeds. It is all relative I suppose, but the Euro feels every bit as planted as the oldies' E320.

Maybe it's because I'm coming across from a 12 year old DC2, but the high speed stability (+180km/h) of the Euro was one of the most impressive attributes. It felt on par with the expensive europeans I've driven.
I agree.Admittedly i've lowered mine with Eibachs and Bilsteins.

tron07
20-03-2007, 01:04 PM
Cant even keep up with aaron's car the other day going into M4 from Rhodes, stock suspension is wobbling like jelly... but hey its comfortable :D

tony1234
20-03-2007, 04:21 PM
Cant even keep up with aaron's car the other day going into M4 from Rhodes, stock suspension is wobbling like jelly... but hey its comfortable :D
Upgrade your suspension tron07.then you can :wave: to aaron as you pass him.hahaha

JasonGilholme
20-03-2007, 04:50 PM
aerodynamics and weight would play a large roll in the slowness between 6000 and 7000 RPM in 5th gear.

Its a large car and not the most aerodynamic thing i've ever seen.

EuroAccord13
20-03-2007, 09:34 PM

I hope you don't mean the Euro because it's a very aerodynamic car and by far exceeds many other performance marques less the power :D

ginganggooly
21-03-2007, 10:46 AM
aerodynamics and weight would play a large roll in the slowness between 6000 and 7000 RPM in 5th gear.

aerodynamics plays a huge role... but the slowness in the euro is due to an underlying lack of motor :)

It needs an extra 600cc imo. That or maybe a blower... a blower AND 600cc would be sweet.

JasonGilholme
21-03-2007, 11:05 AM
I hope you don't mean the Euro because it's a very aerodynamic car and by far exceeds many other performance marques less the power :D

Its still a very large car compared to others.

Its alot to push through the air at such high speed.

ginganggooly
21-03-2007, 12:32 PM

What are you comparing it to?
Its drag coefficient is actually very good.

EuroAccord13
21-03-2007, 04:17 PM

True, hence the amazing 0.26 Drag CoEfficient to compensate...

aaronng
21-03-2007, 05:18 PM
Downforce is proportional to drag in a way. The cars with more downforce have more drag. If you want to compare drag coeffecients, then you have to do it with cars of the same class because sports cars have higher drag coefficients because of downforce required to maintain stability at high speed.

YouRow
21-03-2007, 07:11 PM
All fantastic comments guys but really...

How often would ANY of us drive our cars at 200kph+?

It's good to know and great to watch (If anyone sees other such videos bring them on!) but it really does not mean much in daily driving.

The Euro is a great car and has many good points.

However the one thing I can't escape is lack of torque, especially down low.

I love my car (to the point my wife says so seriously) but next time around I would consider not buying a Euro purely on that aspect alone.

I'm not sure about a force fed Euro, but shorter gearing would be a good start.

yfin
21-03-2007, 07:20 PM
However the one thing I can't escape is lack of torque, especially down low.

I love my car (to the point my wife says so seriously) but next time around I would consider not buying a Euro purely on that aspect alone.

I'm not sure about a force fed Euro, but shorter gearing would be a good start.

You purchased a 4 cyl N/A with an automatic gearbox. Not the best combination for utilising the torque small capacity engines invariably have. If you were looking to keep up with V6s you should have gone with 6MT or perhaps a different car.

Alpine
21-03-2007, 07:24 PM
YouRow, if you wanted some torque maybe you should have gotten the Accord 3.0 V6 version instead.

YouRow
21-03-2007, 09:03 PM
Noted yfin, I was aware before I bought the car what it was like and still made the purchase.

As I said, I like almost everything about the car. All I'm saying is if it was a bit more responsive down low I would like it more.

Alpine - Even if my purchasing decision turned out differently there ain't no way I'd buy a Thai built HOS, with respect.

In the category (both size and price) the Euro won hands down. That doesn't make it perfect, but not being perfect doesn't mean I should have bought another car.

I also drove Mazda 3 & 6, Liberty, Sportivo Corolla, Golf 2.0 Petrol & Diesel, Peugeot 307.

Of these cars the Euro won in most categories. Torque & driveability the Diesel Golf won out, Liberty with kit & wheels for exterior looks, Corolla price, Mazda 3 SP23 good allround but gearbox garbage, Mazda 6 cheap and boring, Peugeot 307 sports was great but brown interior was horrible.

Euro was good or great in all categories except torque and the smooth gearbox helps compensate a bit.

Alpine
21-03-2007, 09:07 PM
Alpine - Even if my purchasing decision turned out differently there ain't no way I'd buy a Thai built HOS, with respect.

Why does everyone say this about the Thai-built Hondas? There really isn't anything wrong with them! Two of our Hondas within the extended family are from Thailand and they are as identically perfect and tight as our Japanese-built models.

The only variance in build quality I have seen is with my US-built Civic Coupe. It has noticably more rattles than the Japanese and Thai models. Not alot more, but I do notice every single squeak and rattle in cars!

yfin
21-03-2007, 09:18 PM
Why does everyone say this about the Thai-built Hondas? There really isn't anything wrong with them! Two of our Hondas within the extended family are from Thailand and they are as identically perfect and tight as our Japanese-built models.

The only variance in build quality I have seen is with my US-built Civic Coupe. It has noticably more rattles than the Japanese and Thai models. Not alot more, but I do notice every single squeak and rattle in cars!

The Euro has its fair share of rattles and it is Jap built. The best thing about the Thai built Hondas is it allows Honda to be very competitive on price.

YouRow
21-03-2007, 09:27 PM
The Euro has its fair share of rattles and it is Jap built. The best thing about the Thai built Hondas is it allows Honda to be very competitive on price.

Maybe I'm just lucky or my euro hasn't got any rattles yet as its still new?

The FTA does allow Honda to be competitive on price from Thailand, but I don't want a 6 and the 4 in the Accord has less power than the Euro. That and I did drive an Accord since buying the Euro. It squeaked and there were a few noticeable gaps in the fit of the interior. Perhaps I saw a bad example but them's the brakes. Not what you want in a new car...

tron07
24-03-2007, 01:01 AM
Mine is nov 06 and it rattles and squeaks... maybe you didnt notice it. I probably need to start my sound deadening project one of these day.... Dynamats in the toilet taking up space :p